Any secrets to peeling a hard boiled egg.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ever since I started making HB eggs in my Instant Pot, I've had no problems peeling them. And only a few had any green/gray on the yolks. I was skeptical, at first, but it works! I've seen various times, but the 5 min cook/5 min restdoes best for me.

Set the eggs on a steamer rack, and put 1 cup of water in the IP, or whatever brand cooker. Set for 5 minutes pressure cooking, then let it rest 5 min., and release pressure. Remove the eggs to a bowl with ice water, to cool. Shells come right off!

Last edited:
Ever since I started making HB eggs in my Instant Pot, I've had no problems peeling them. And only a few had any green/gray on the yolks. I was skeptical, at first, but it works!

I'm not surprised by this... I used to work as a salad/pantry chef and we made hundreds of deviled eggs each sunday for a brunch buffet. We cooked the eggs in a pressure steamer which looks a bit like an iron lung but it practically blew the peels off the eggs.

They cooked fast and hot and eggs shells would often develop hairline cracks - steam would get under the crack and often the shells would literally fall off in your hand. We would place entire steam trays with 6 dozen eggs in at a time and a few minutes later they were perfectly done.

I bring the eggs and water to a full boil and then I shut the heat off and put the cover on the pan and let it set for 15 min, perfect yellow yokes every time, Then I take out a little water put cover back on hold the cover on and shake the pot up and down and back and forth. When you open the cover the shell are all loose and ready to peel, The only time I have trouble is if the eggs are really fresh.

Back
Top Bottom