Any tips on cleaning a box grater?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PA Baker

Master Chef
It's just one of those things that's up there with cleaning windows on my list. No matter how much I work at it there's always a bit of something left in a little nook or cranny. I grated a cup of Fontina with it over the weekend and scrubbed and scrubbed, gave up and ran it through the dishwasher and it's still not completely Fontina-free! :evil:

Gezzzzz PA..........maybe try putting it in a large pan of soapy water and putting it on the stove. Let the water boil for awhile. Other then this I have not clue other than pitch it ;)

Rainee said:
Have you tried a brush? A toothbrush may work.

I was thinking about that this afternoon, actually. I'll give it a try tonight (what a thrilling life I lead! :roll: ). Thanks!

I have a nylon bristle scrub brush and don't have any problem - no matter how soft the cheese.

First - I run hot tap water over it until the metal gets hot (that softens the cheese) ... then scrub the inside. Then, I scub the outside going across the graters from side to side (not up-down like I would if I was grating something). Then, I give it one last internal scrubbing. It doesn't matter which direction you scrub on the inside since it's not a sharp grating surface.

I'm firmly in the hot water/toothbrush camp. Old toothbrushes never die, they get bleached and become cleaning implements. Around the faucets and drain with CLR. Those little odd places that gather food on your food processor, grater, etc. Now that we use electric toothbrushes, I just go to the dollar store and buy them for so little it is ridiculous. But cheese's worst enemy is very hot water. Having no children, I've always had my water heater set very high, and even have been known to be able to fix instant coffee, cocoa, and tea with faucet water when the electricity goes out (assuming gas hot water, electric stove, which has been a combo for much of my life).

Yep, always have a sink brush or tooth brush on hand for those hard to clean areas. Yes and spraying does help to keep the foods from sticking bad. :D

I spray it with cooking spray (Pam) before using - be sure to spray the inside too. After grating I put soap in the sink and run the grater under hot water, wiping occasionally. After the water in the sink is high enough, I let it soak for an hour or so. Any residue left will usually come clean fairly easily with a light scrubbing. If not, it goes in the dishwasher. I love Fontina, but its texture makes it one of the problem cheeses for grater residue.

a toothbrush!!!!! what is this, the army? drop and give me 20 you maggots!!!!!!
buy a bottle brush pab. it'll save you some time.
SIR! YES, SIR!!!!!!

what's our favorite kind of cheese
we eat fontina when we please
sound off, 1- 2
sound off 3 -4

Another thing: with the softer cheeses it reduces sticking if you put it in the freezer for 30-45 minutes before grating.

This doesn't answser your question but still food for thought and it semi-relevent here:

I have a cheese-shredder at home, which is its positive name. They don't call it by its negative name, which is "sponge-ruiner." Because I wanted to clean it, and now I have little bits of sponge that would melt easily over tortilla chips.. --Mitch Hedburg

I have the box grater also and swear everytime I hit my knuckle that I will never use it again. As far as cleaning, I get it under hot water as soon as I'm done and scrub away any leftover cheese with a scrub brush, so far it's worked great. But I have found cooked on cheese when my husband just puts it in the sink without rinsing it, I've used the end of a knive to scrape it off, that seems to work well. :)

Back
Top Bottom