Any way to brighten up the taste of hard boiled eggs?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Other than sprinkling various flavorings on them, smoked paprika, garlic salt, etc., not much you can do.

However, if you cut the eggs in half, popped out the yolks and mixed them with some mayo and various flavorings then piped them back into the whites, you'd have a taste delight.

DH was in the U.S. Navy. They put Tabasco sauce on everything! After the Navy, when I packed his lunch for work, I always included Tabasco sauce for boiled eggs.

Make egg salad. Mayo and a little mustard and then an anchovy on top and put it on a Ritz..

Use eggs laid by chickens that get to go outside and get to eat blades of grass, bugs, worms, etc. The egg will have more flavour before you even start adding stuff.

Have you ever had Chinese tea eggs? This is something that I have made for many years, and several years ago I found a recipe with something that made it better - it was made with Lapsang Souchong. This gave it that smoky flavor, though it's still good if you just have regular black tea. And there are simplified versions that are also good, using tea bags, and some 5 spice powder, but I like using the whole spices, to strain them out. And if medium eggs are cheap, use those - they are actually better for these, as the seasoning that gets through the shell is a higher % with smaller eggs.

First, place eggs in a saucepan they will fit in a single layer, cover with water, bring to a boil slowly, and cook 7-8 minutes (they will cook longer). Place in some cold water, long enough that you can handle them, then take each one, and with the back of a spoon, lightly crack the egg all over (this gives the egg a netted appearance, where the liquid seeps through, and seasons it, too). Into the water in the saucepan (should be at least 3 c - if not, add some) place the following ingredients:

1/2 c dark soy sauce
1 tb lapsang souchong, or other black tea
1/4 c sugar
3/4 tsp black peppercorns
1/2 tsp fennel seed
8 whole cloves
2 star anise
2 two inch cinnamon sticks

Stir to dissolve the sugar, place the eggs back into the pot, be sure to cover by 1/2", and return to a simmer. Cook 1-2 hours, depending on size. The eggs can be stored in the liquid. Serve with a small amount of the liquid drizzled on the yolks, on halved (for the smaller eggs) or quartered eggs.

Hard boiled eggs are very versatile. As taxlady stated, if you can get eggs from truly free range eggs that eat insects, mice, and wild grains/veggies, the yolks will be darker, creamier, and more flavorful. After that, flavor can be boosted in these ways:
  1. Pickled eggs - this sight not only pickles, but adds color from beets - https://www.bing.com/images/search?view=detailV2&ccid=s59N03Yb&id=BEFEB9EA46A968C0326DCC958AF47837501AAACE&thid=OIP.s59N03YbgUaqLf2_xClxVwHaFj&mediaurl=https%3a%2f%2fth.bing.com%2fth%2fid%2fR.b39f4dd3761b8146aa2dfdbfc4297157%3frik%3dzqoaUDd49IqVzA%26riu%3dhttp%253a%252f%252fwww.craftycookingmama.com%252fwp-content%252fuploads%252f2015%252f03%252fSAM_5096.jpg%26ehk%3dr%252fzvp2cPj%252bgzat0ljYio8xNaq%252b%252bArGHEmqxv%252fZKup%252bw%253d%26risl%3d%26pid%3dImgRaw%26r%3d0&exph=750&expw=1000&q=pickled+hard+boiled+eggs&simid=608055863470930564&FORM=IRPRST&ck=62F99FD67898CE5A80F0669BDA6CAD7A&selectedIndex=0&idpp=overlayview&ajaxhist=0&ajaxserp=0
  2. deviled eggs - cut eggs in half, lengthwise, remove the yolks, and mix the yolks with Miracle Whip, or your favorite mayo, minced onion, mustard powder, or grainy mustard, sweet, or dill pickle relish, add back into the egg whites, sprinkle paprika on top
  3. egg salad for sandwiches - coarsely chop eggs. Combine with rustic chopped onion, mayo, or salad dressing, pickle relish, prepared yellow mustard. place on good bread to make sandwiches
  4. Slice eggs cross wise into thin slices. Add to broth soups.
  5. Add diced hard boiled eggs to leafy salads

That should give you a few ideas. Hope one or more of these gives you what you want.

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

I recently had some Taiwanese Braised eggs.. They were phenomenal. If I could cook I would try to make them.

I almost always add some thin sliced jalapeno (seeds/membrane removed as you like) to egg salad. Scallions for color and flavor.

SO's recipe for Mom's Potato salad - indeed her mom's recipe- is quite ordinary and includes lots of eggs, and maybe some chopped dill pickle, not even any mustard. Remember this now as we approach warmer weather as it appears on our dinner menu often. :LOL: I usually specify which one of us makes "Mom's" recipe. I include maybe only a couple eggs sliced as a garnish, radish slices, jalapeno or serrano slices or dices, and tabasco or bottled Tiger sauce (chili sauce) mixed in the mayo. The only variation SO approves is using spicy pickle relish. Any more than that it's not "Mom's" Oh well. Radishi slices are round and they have a tendency to meander around the plate. Likewise, tabasco is an approved table condiment. It's one of the few dishes we make that is the same but different that we both like "our way".

Surprisingly, a small squeeze of lemon juice brightens up either of the above without changing the profile.

I am old school. Salt and only salt. And lots if it.

Though I do like a deviled egg if is is towards the dryer side. Don't like the watery creamy variety.

Egg curry.
Eggs with Mexican salsa.
Eggs with sweet n sour sauce.
Eggs with hollandaise sauce
Scotch eggs.
Devilled eggs.
Egg sandwich with cress, mayo and spring onions.

That should brighten them up.

Definitely find a source of "farm eggs." Hens who get fresh air, exercise, and supplement their diet with whatever then can get their beaks around lay very tasty eggs.

A visiting relative told me there was no difference between grocery store eggs and our ladies' eggs. I prepared a grocery egg (begged from a neighbor) and one of ours. Even that jaded palette could tell the difference!

We used to get "farm eggs from a local in upstate NY.

We once got a "fart egg". Have you ever heard of that? It had no yolk. :huh:

I'll stick with the one's from the grocery store.

1. Try adding sliced egg to your ramen dishes.
  2. chopped egg added to cob salad
  3. quartered egg added to potato salad
  4. quartered egg added to macaroni salad
  5. egg slices added to hot & sour soup
  6. egg slices added to Pho
  7. egg slices on roast beef sandwiches
  8. halved eggs with cheese sauce on top
  9. halved eggs on English muffin, with ham slice, covered in Hollandaise sauce
  10. deviled eggs with truffle oil, or truffle salt, and black pepper
  11. deviled eggs with salted chicken skin cracklings
  12. egg salad with crispy bacon bits

That should give you more ideas. Each of the list items is tried and true.

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom