Anybody use a convection oven?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

4meandthem

Half Baked
I moved into my house ten years ago and it came with a built-in microwave/convection oven. I have never once used the convection setting. What do you use it for. What does it do best?

I saw someone post about dehydrating in one in the dehydrator thread.
What temp and time would you use for a couple trays of jerky?

Mine has a probe and an auto setting too. I assume for meats mainly.
Is a conventional oven roast better? I always assumed so.

From what I've read, a convection function in a regular oven has the most positive effect when used for baking. That's not to say there is no benefit for roasting, just that it's a less significant.

I have one and I love it......it cuts the time or temp. Either reduce the time by a third or the temperature by a third. It has a fan and keeps the temp consistent.

My range is a convection model and it is fantastic for baking.

It has a "convect roast" feature that uses the fans and and cycles the broiler elements on and off. It roasts chicken with a really crisp and brown skin, and it is wonderful for roasting vegetables.

I've been wanting to post this same question for many months. Been too embarrassed, like admitting that I'm still dialing into a 56K copper wire for the internet, or that my phone doesn't have a built-in camera. I've never used the convection setting on my Jenn-Air oven... have no idea what it's for...

Remember to adjust the temperature accordingly, if your typical recipe calls for 350degrees, your convection should be set to 300. . .there is normally a 50degree off set, IIRC. You can count on things cooking 25/30% quicker.

My range sets to 25 degrees lower than you originally set it at, you can override this if you want to though

Back
Top Bottom