Anyone have this pasta maker? Or recommendations?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JanetMlr

Cook
A few reasons why I'm looking for a new pasta maker: The main reason being I'd like to try electric. The other... I sold my home and live with a cousin sharing her kitchen. She is so fussy, I'm almost afraid to even cook in her kitchen. I partly understand. She has an old house that was her parent's home that needs a lot of work that she can't afford right now. The one thing she's done is to remodel her kitchen... so she's maybe a little over protective about it. I know she doesn't mean or try to make me feel uncomfortable.

OK, so maybe that's a bit TMI, but it explains why I don't want to use a pasta maker that clamps to her granite counter.

Below is the electric pasta maker I'm considering... based on price, ratings and features. Would love some feedback from anyone who has this one, or recommendations. ?

Roma Express Electric Pasta Machine

Last edited:
A few reasons why I'm looking for a new pasta maker: The main reason being I'd like to try electric. The other... I sold my home and live with a cousin sharing her kitchen. She is so fussy, I'm almost afraid to even cook in her kitchen. I partly understand. She has an old house that was her parent's home that needs a lot of work that she can't afford right now. The one thing she's done is to remodel her kitchen... so she's maybe a little over protective about it. I know she doesn't mean or try to make me feel uncomfortable.

OK, so maybe that's a bit TMI, but it explains why I don't want to use a pasta maker that clamps to her granite counter.

Below is the electric pasta maker I'm considering... based on price, ratings and features. Would love some feedback from anyone who has this one, or recommendations. ��

Roma Express Electric Pasta Machine

It bothers me that there is only a 30 day warranty on that product.

Does she have a Kitchen Aid Stand mixer? You can do a lot better buying the attachment for that and it is less expensive with room to expand on it. Your choice has only two types of pasta cuts. The KA has multiple blades for different cuts of pasta. :angel:

Janet
I have this pasta machine
and it is great. If you get your pasta
mixture dry enough you don't have to
use flour to roll it.
The only negataive, it makes lasagna.
and noodles and spaghetti no macroni.
It is one of those things I would buy
again if something happened to it.
I have had it for a year.

Josie

Does she have a Kitchen Aid Stand mixer? You can do a lot better buying the attachment for that and it is less expensive with room to expand on it. Your choice has only two types of pasta cuts. The KA has multiple blades for different cuts of pasta. :angel:
I was considering paying for the extended warranty. I don't know if she has the Kitchen Aid mixer. She does tend to buy the bigger, expensive items. I guess there was a 3rd reason I was considering that pasta machine... something I can take with me IF I decide to get my own place. But I'll definitely see if she has that mixer. Thanks for the input!

Janet
I have this pasta machine and it is great. If you get your pasta mixture dry enough you don't have to use flour to roll it.

The only negataive, it makes lasagna, and noodles and spaghetti no macron.

It is one of those things I would buy again if something happened to it. I have had it for a year.

Josie
Thank you Josie! Glad to hear you've had it for a year. This just might be the one for me.

Last edited:
Me again! Maybe I'm missing something, but I looked again, and it seems the manufacturer's warranty is a year. I still might consider the extended though.

Manufacturer Warranty
Labor - 1 year limited
Parts - 1 year limited

No I don't have that one, just a hand operated model which cost me $35, and i'll bet it works just as good as the one your looking at. I don't see why any home cook, would need an electric pasta maker, and at that price, the hand models are easy to operate, you can control them easily.

I've had this pasta machine for nearly 30 years and have a number of different cutting heads. I love it but, a few years ago, arthritis made it difficult for me to crank it so I bought the electric motor and retrofitted it. Problem solved and I still have my trusty old pasta maker doin' it's job just fine.

No I don't have that one, just a hand operated model which cost me $35, and i'll bet it works just as good as the one your looking at. I don't see why any home cook, would need an electric pasta maker, and at that price, the hand models are easy to operate, you can control them easily.
I guess you didn't read what my reason was. I have a hand cranked pasta maker. I recently sold my home and it's buried in boxes in the attic somewhere. But that's not the point. The point was that the person whose kitchen I share is almost obsessive to the point of being OCD about her kitchen. She doesn't say much, but I know she is obsessive about that kitchen. As I said, I don't think she'd be particularly thrilled with me clamping something to her granite counter (even with protection).

I also don't see why being a "home cook" has anything to do with whether a pasta maker is electric or hand cranked. I don't think a real cook should use any prepared foods, but I don't see how a small electric pasta machine makes anyone less of a home cook. Yes, it's more expensive, but some things, even though you may not agree, can be justified.?

One good reason for an electric pasta maker would be someone like myself who has severe arthritis in my hands. Grabbing small items such as the handle on a manual pasta maker is beyond my capabilities. So I have the attachment for my electric KA mixer. I can no longer close my fingers enough to make a fist. That is why you will see hospital handles in all elderly apartments. We can not always grab doorknobs with sufficient force to open a door in an emergency. But we can push the door handle down. :angel:

I've had this pasta machine for nearly 30 years and have a number of different cutting heads. I love it but, a few years ago, arthritis made it difficult for me to crank it so I bought the electric motor and retrofitted it. Problem solved and I still have my trusty old pasta maker doin' it's job just fine.
I didn't know you could (and I'm pretty sure I couldn't) retrofit a motor. A bit of arthritis shows it's ugly head in my hands sometimes too, but more noticeable in my knees. I do know I refuse to feel guilty about buying electric, or feel like I'm any less of a home cook. I hadn't even thought about the arthritis. My crank machine had to have been pretty cheap though (not that it matters), but I'll have to dig it up to see what brand it is and research that motor idea. ?

...I do know I refuse to feel guilty about buying electric, or feel like I'm any less of a home cook...

There is no reason why you shouldn't take advantage of easier-to-use tools. It has nothing to do with your cooking ability. If you have a blender or food processor or dishwasher or electric refrigerator or electric mixer or a gas or electric stove, they're in the same category.

I don't often hand make pasta. When I do, I make fettuccine as ribbon pastas are simpler. I mix/knead the dough by hand or in a KA mixer. Then I roll it out using a rolling pin. If I made most or all of our pastas, I'd buy an electric pasta machine right away.

Check out this one that kneads the dough then extrudes the pasta: Amazon.com: Viante CUC-27PM Automatic Pasta Maker with 10 Interchangeable Discs: Home & Kitchen

I didn't know you could (and I'm pretty sure I couldn't) retrofit a motor. A bit of arthritis shows it's ugly head in my hands sometimes too, but more noticeable in my knees. I do know I refuse to feel guilty about buying electric, or feel like I'm any less of a home cook. I hadn't even thought about the arthritis. My crank machine had to have been pretty cheap though (not that it matters), but I'll have to dig it up to see what brand it is and research that motor idea. ?

You don't have to do much really. My manufacturer has motors that are specifically designed to fit their various manual pasta machines. I simply purchased the appropriate one for my model machine, screwed it on and I was done. There was nothing complex or complicated about it.

We have a variable speed pasta machine. The speed varies in the motors ability to crank. I'm the motor.;)

I also have a Marcato Atlas 150, and have the ravioli attachment for it. Thrift store find, $15 for the sheeter, spaghetti/linguine cutter and ravioli. It's old enough that a motor cannot be fitted to it. I also have the KA 3-pack of pasta attachments. Another thrifty find at $5. I think I may even have the pasta extruder that works with the KA meat grinder, for macaroni. I use the KA 3-pack, mostly, and the Atlas for ravioli.

There is no reason why you shouldn't take advantage of easier-to-use tools. It has nothing to do with your cooking ability. If you have a blender or food processor or dishwasher or electric refrigerator or electric mixer or a gas or electric stove, they're in the same category.

I don't often hand make pasta. When I do, I make fettuccine as ribbon pastas are simpler. I mix/knead the dough by hand or in a KA mixer. Then I roll it out using a rolling pin. If I made most or all of our pastas, I'd buy an electric pasta machine right away.

Check out this one that kneads the dough then extrudes the pasta: Amazon.com: Viante CUC-27PM Automatic Pasta Maker with 10 Interchangeable Discs: Home & Kitchen

That is downright cheap compared to what they were a few years ago. Remember Ron Popiel's machine? :angel:

Pasta Maker Update

I was talking to my roommate about what I had posted here today, and she says: "I have the Kitchen Aid mixer and use it maybe once a year. Feel free to use it" I wouldn't have asked her, but since she offered I'll probably just look into getting the attachments. I hate to say it, but I'm still going to keep that electric one on my wish list. I may eventually get it anyway.

Going from your own home to sharing one and having a roommate is a huge adjustment. Marilyn and I have been close for years (she's actually my ex's cousin) and talked about me doing this after I retired. I have an adorable space in her home with a bedroom and sitting room with a sliding glass door out to the back yard, and a large full bath. Other than being married for 20+ years, I've never had or been a roommate. That's the reason why I feel funny asking to use things sometimes... I get a little paranoid about being a good roommate. I think maybe too many horror stories with my daughter's renting experiences.

As usual... rattling on too much. Get used to it... I can't seem to help myself. ?

I think there are a lot cheaper alternatives to KA. They seem to have a separate attachment for each pasta shape as well as a separate attachment just to roll out the dough.

Andy when you buy the original package you get three means of rolling. The first one is rolling out the sheets with the adjustable width. The second one is for fettuccine, the last one is for a Angel Hair cut. The very same cuts of the machine she was looking at. All other attachments are bought separate after that. Including elbow macaroni. Something the machine she has been looking at does not offer. :angel:

Back
Top Bottom