Anyone here from Germany or having German backgrounds?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kathy36

Assistant Cook
Hi,

I am new here and was just wondering if anyone else on this site is living in Germany (except for Karaburun:)) or has German backgrounds?

Gee, does living in Germany when I was a child (65-68) count? Probably not much! (Landstuhl, Ramstein, and Wiesbaden. Yes, military.). Loved it and wouldn't mind a return trip some day.

Hey !

I was there the same time as Claire my dad was in the Air Force and my mother is german I actually ended up going to german school 1st thru 4th grade and lived with my Oma und Opa in Alsenborn/Enkenbach I spoke fluent german then but alas Ive forgotton most of it.How ever when I went for a visit xmas 1999 to see my aunt after leaving :cool: 30 years before I was surprised how much I still really understood .
I miss it and not to mention the food.

You said a mouthful! My heritage is all German. My father born in Wesphila and my husband's father in Heidelberg. Do you know where any of these places are? One of our close friend always talks about the movie Das Boot as he was on that submarine. He sure has some stories. What do German people think of Americans? In my opinion, I think most of the German people I have met are so immaculate with their homes as well as their cooking. They always impress me when I am invited to their into their homes. It always seems to make me realize my own lack of maintaining the house. They can really cook too. Do you think this is something typical of German people? Interested to hear your response

The Germans are immaculate last time I was thereI really noticed it they also dont have alot of clutter as some Americans :) do me included.They dont appear as materialistic sticking to the tried and true.When I visited my aunt you had to wipe down the bath and tub every time you used it.

She even had a sign in the guest toilet which is just for people who are there a few hour instructing the men to sit on toilet rather than stand when using.

Last edited:
jpmcgrew said:
The Germans are immaculate last time I was thereI really noticed it they also dont have alot of clutter as some Americans :) do me included.They dont appear as materialistic sticking to the tried and true.When I visited my aunt you had to wipe down the bath and tub every time you used it.

She even had a sign in the guest toilet which is just for people who are there a few hour instructing the men to sit on toilet rather than stand when using.

did you ever go back? Bet you felt intimadated somewhat. But it was good intimadation. Made one realize what we should all strive to be. I bet you liked to visit \ them. They always made me feel so secure. As if they really liked me. Not like Americans who want you to match up to their expectations. Seems like they never judged me whether I was fat of not too fat. I truly enjoyed their company. Very friendly. Thanks for sharing.

Hello !

I am a German/american living in Germany since 1991. I moved hear to Aachen from Marion, Indiana and it was at first a big Culture shock for me.
My Father is German and my Mother is American , so I have a little bit of both in my blood. I try to keep house like the Germans do, but not as Immaculate as some other Germans and try to keep the acceptations of my German Husband:LOL:.
I do like my life here in Germany, but also miss some of the typical American things and enjoy going back to visit.
Its very interesting to hear how small our World is and its nice to hear other ones talk about Germany.
HOpe to hear somemore stories!

@ in the Kitchen

yes, I know where both of those places are. My Daddy is from Dresden. Do you know where that is?

I adore Germany !Many fond memories growing up there.Would love to go back again someday the biggest problem with that is my huge fear of flying although I have gone on airplanes its just plain scary to me.

My mother inlaw grew up in Nazi Germany. She was a professional dancer and entertained Hitler. Her brother fought against us during World War 2. She often says this...."Why does America spend so much energy and money on the weak?" Her house was bombed during the war. She is a very interesting person to talk to.

Yikes, Bang! I'm not sure how to comment on that, so I won't. My grandma on my Mom's side was from Germany. I even have a picture of the Family Crest that has the ugliest d*mn bird you've ever seen. I have an old German cookbook of hers that I've been hunting high and low for but just can't seem to find.

My ancestors are probably about 75% German. The most recent immigrants were teachers from Leipzig. They moved to America around 1890. They became farmers.

I have been in Germany several times. I like it lots. My brother majored in German and lived in Germany for 6 months while studying. He still returns each year to visit friends he made there.

I think Nazi Germany is refering to a period in time, not a geographical location.

My in-laws here lived under German occupation. they prefer not to talk about it.

Pam

My father served in the British Army on the Rhine for a while when I was a child. My mother's brother had been a PoW in Germany for 2 years. She hated living in Germany, and found it very stressful - but as a child, I liked it!

I've visited Germany quite a few times on business trips. I have worked with a number of Germans here in the UK. I like them! We cannot change the past. But at least we seem to learn from it (well, some of the time, anyway!)

I missed Germany (back then, West Germany) so much when I came back to the 'states. In Germany at age 11, 12, 13, I was able to hop on a bus and go anywhere with my best friend. We'd go to restaurants, go shopping at Herties and Hortens (may not be right spelling), go ..... go,go,go. Then the two bases I moved to after that were remote and if you didn't have a car, you could go nowhere. I swear, I was well into my 30s before I could do, go, and see as much as I could in Germany. To this day, puh-leeze give me a community with good public transportation and lots of cosmopolitan, ethnic restaurants. I still periodically try to get my husband to MOVE to Europe!

My wife makes what she calls German Chicken and Dumpling Soup. The dumplings are very heavy. Our family fights over them. This is by far my favorite soup.

i have lots of German in me.
i love German culture. and i love the language. i took a course on it.
guten nacht.

Back
Top Bottom