Anyone here use achiote paste?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

black chef

Senior Cook
i recently visited a south american restaurant and had a tilapia dish prepared with a achiote glaze.

now, i'm trying to learn how to use achiote in glazes, etc., myself.

anyone here have any ideas, uses, recommendations, comments, etc?

I am also curious about it...I see it in the spice section at grocery stores here, and I know it is used in some Mexican cooking. I have not been brave enough to try it. Let us know what you come up with.

It's not readily available here. But when I see it, I buy it, then it gets hard and stale and I throw it away, then see it, buy it and the cycle goes on and on.

What I remember of when I was a child in my grandmother house, some seeds were put in the pot where the rice was going to be made with some oil, then warm it up and let the oil take some yellow-redish colour, then the seeds were taken out, and the rice was put in that oil to take that color, adding boiling water to cook it.
Sorry, that is all I remember........
Apart for the name of Achiote, look for Annato and bija, somebody will know more about them. They are used in the Central and SouthAmerican cuisine....Good luck!

I've got a few recipes for achiote out of Rick Bayless's book Mexican Kitchen. I've done one recipe, if I remember right, that had me grind the seeds, and mix them with lots of garlic, some salt, and I can't remember what else. It was good.

From what I've seen professionally, achiote/annato is used more for color.

I occasionally buy achiote from the local carniciera. I get it in bars, almost like soap. Break it up and use it as a base for a rub on fish, like tuna or white seabass, before grilling. Good.

I make achiote paste with annato powder, cumin, coriander, oregano, cloves, peppercorns, salt and garlic mixed with enough vinegar to form a paste.

i have never used achiote "paste"

I have used the seeds to make Guam red rice as a side dish to Guam Chicken, which was a big hit at a party for some friends who lived in Guam for a few years...

[SIZE=+2]Guam Red Rice[/SIZE] [SIZE=+1]Guam's very own traditional fiesta recipe[/SIZE] [SIZE=+1]2 T. achote seeds[/SIZE] [SIZE=+1]1/2 tsp. salt[/SIZE] [SIZE=+1]2 T. Cooking oil[/SIZE] [SIZE=+1]1/2 cup chopped onions[/SIZE] [SIZE=+1]2 cups water[/SIZE] [SIZE=+1]METHOD:[/SIZE] [SIZE=+1]Soak achote seeds in 1/2 cup warm water for 30 minutes.[/SIZE] [SIZE=+1]Add salt. Rub or press achote seeds to get color.[/SIZE] [SIZE=+1]Strain liquid into small bowl. Sauté onions in oil.[/SIZE] [SIZE=+1]Add rinsed rice to boiling achote colored water.[/SIZE] [SIZE=+1]Reduce heat to medium high for five minutes or until water evaporates.[/SIZE] [SIZE=+1]Reduce heat to low for 15 minutes.[/SIZE] [SIZE=+1]Yield: 4 servings.[/SIZE] [SIZE=+1]This can be cooked in a rice cooker which is a lot easier.

Eric, Austin Tx.
[/SIZE]
visit.gif
visit.gif
serv

I occasionally buy achiote from the local carniciera. I get it in bars, almost like soap. Break it up and use it as a base for a rub on fish, like tuna or white seabass, before grilling. Good.

well, this new south american restaurant i'm addicted to uses it both as a rub and as a glaze for a few of their dishes.

the executive chef stopped-by after i questioned the waiter over & over, and he told me that achiote is basically a substitute for lime juice in his glaze.

:huh:

huh?

when i asked the EC for his recipe using achiote, he just looked at me like this: :ohmy: and said that ALL of his recipes were hand-me-downs from grandma.

well, i'll just experiment with it for now with some shrimp and on some pan seared tilapia.

i'll post-up the recipes if i think it's a decent concoction.

here's my starting point for the glaze:

• 1 teaspoon achiote paste
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1 1/2 cups honey
  • 2 tablespoons water
directions: mix all together and thin-down with more water if necessary.

i've got access to some SUPERIOR quality honey here in texas, so i'll do my best to make this experiment worthwhile.

btw, i got this recipe from doing a google search on "achiote glaze."

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom