Anyone here use sweet sorghum???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

black chef

Senior Cook
my local farmer's market just started stocking-up on sorghum from a local producer.

i've heard of it before, but i've never used it. well, i experimented with it as a sweetener in a vinaigrette, but that's it.

how do you use sorghum?

Try sorghum where you would use molasses. I find it a really delicious ingredient. One of our favorite cakes is a recipe which I got from an elderly farm woman in Wisconsin for sorghum cake.

I've been using it a bit in breads lately. It's subtle that way, since you don't actually use a lot in a bread dough, but the flavor is nice and it's easier to work with than honey, which crystallizes annoyingly often in my house in the winter. Another one I've been using a lot lately is agave nectar. It's more of a neutral sweetener than the sorghum, but also good.

I was raised on Sorgum syrup and we all ways had it on pancakes, waffels and mom put it in her bread, muffins, and what ever else she could think of to put it on

Hear in Mississippi people are divided between Sorghum and Cane -- In the Northern areas it's Sorghum almost exclusively. They want buy much else. Quite the opposite is true in the South where Cane rules! For me Sorghum is Ok, but I love the Cane! Especially the Steen's 100% Pure Brand out of Louisiana! So I really don't use Sorghum.

Hear in Mississippi people are divided between Sorghum and Cane -- In the Northern areas it's Sorghum almost exclusively. They want buy much else. Quite the opposite is true in the South where Cane rules! For me Sorghum is Ok, but I love the Cane! Especially the Steen's 100% Pure Brand out of Louisiana! So I really don't use Sorghum.

oh, i agree on the Steen's syrup!!! i've been using it all my life.

Steen's ingredient list: pure sugar cane juice, slow simmered in open kettles.

and here's my pancake and biscuit syrup recipe:

1/4 cup of the best maple syrup you can get your hands on.
3/4 cup Steen's
1/2 tsp. dark rum (i use Meyer's Dark)
pinch cinnamon
2-3 drops pure vanilla extract.

add all ingredients to a small sauce pan and simmer for about 5 minutes on low heat.

pour it hot over pancakes, biscuits, etc. or you can let it cool and rent "9-1/2 weeks" from blockbuster.:ohmy::LOL:

and here's my pancake and biscuit syrup recipe:

1/4 cup of the best maple syrup you can get your hands on.
3/4 cup Steen's
1/2 tsp. dark rum (i use Meyer's Dark)
pinch cinnamon
2-3 drops pure vanilla extract.

add all ingredients to a small sauce pan and simmer for about 5 minutes on low heat.

pour it hot over pancakes, biscuits, etc. or you can let it cool and rent "9-1/2 weeks" from blockbuster.:ohmy::LOL:

This sounds great (except the bit about Blockbuster). I'll have to try it, if I can find Steen's anywhere out here.

You haven't lived until you've had sorghum molasses smeared on a hot biscuit dripping with butter. It is the bomb.

We can't get Steen's here Uncle Bob. I would love to try it. Send me some?:angel:

We can't get Steen's here Uncle Bob. I would love to try it. Send me some?:angel:
Even though I am from the south also,I haven't heard of steens, but would love to try it.
I also love sorghum syrup with hot biscuits and butter. Oh, It is making me hungry just thinking about it. It's just hard to find the syrup.

Back
Top Bottom