Anyone know how many potatoes in a quart?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

legend_018

Head Chef
tried looking it up - but can't find it. Any idea how many potatoes are in a quart if the recipe calls for a quart of potatoes? thanks!

'bout 2 1/2 pounds, if my memory serves me right, trying to remember from canning....will do some research and return if that is incorrect

Last edited:
Yes. It depends on the form. Whole, sliced, cubed...? You really should buy a 4 cup measure, if you don't already have one. 4 C.=1 Qt.

A great deal depends on the size and type of potato. One big russet can fill a quart. Two all purpose potatoes or a handful of fingerlings. Also, if it's a quart of whole, sliced, cubed, diced, mashed. Each will provide a different answer.

Not a very good recipe to give such a vague quantity.

"A pint is a pound the world around"...--Unknown--
You need 2 lbs of potatoes,

I believe this maxim applies to liquids rather than anything else.

In this case, two pounds may or may not be a correct answer based on a number of different factors.

According to some colonial/old time recipes I looked up, the potatoes, when measured by quarts, are rough sliced, or cubed (1-1/4" to 1-1/2"), or mashed (I guess because they take on an extra volume of air).

In most cases, they correspond directly to an equal volume of potato salad, which seems to be some sort of standard measure.

In any case, in all of the researching I did in books and on-line, the measure is of the final processed product - anything except whole potatoes.

This must be referring to a canning recipe. One I have for potatoes says "2 1/2 lbs potatoes per quart jar (to 3 lbs)" which is an estimation only of the amount of potatoes you should plan on having available per quart jar being filled. There is no way to be accurate since all potatoes are slightly different in size. In recipes like this you just keeping filling jars until you run out of potatoes.

My assumption is that this recipe is translated from some old European cookbook. It is common practice in Europe to weigh the cooking ingredients.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom