Anyone make their own ice cream?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cooking4to

Senior Cook
I think I have tried ever ice cream recipe printed in a book. I have 2 machines, the lello and the cuisinart ice-100 {superior for less money, I don't use the lello any longer}.

Anyone have a good recipe that hardens up nicely?

I think I have tried ever ice cream recipe printed in a book. I have 2 machines, the lello and the cuisinart ice-100 {superior for less money, I don't use the lello any longer}.

Anyone have a good recipe that hardens up nicely?
I use a book called "Iced Delights" by Shona Crawford Poole (out of print but available on Amazon). Some really yummy "grown-up" ice cream recipes. Some use eggs and some don't. I suppose it depends on how confident you are in your egg supplier and whether you are serving it to children, elderly people or anyone with a compromised immune system. (That's based on the Government advice given over here. It may not be the same in the States)

I think your Cuisinart is a lot more sophisticated than mine, which is the type where you freeze the bowl before making the ice cream. The ice cream is quite soft when the machine has finished, which is fine if you like it like that but I usually pop it back in the freezer for an hour or two to harden up.

I sometimes see recipes that include gelatine but I'm not sure what this does and I have never had any problems not using it.

My mother-in-law gave us an ice cream maker. Does anyone have any good recipes for making ice cream? I am particularly interested in starting with vanilla. I don't want to make strawberry ice cream until the good ones are in the store in a week or three. I would be interested in chocolate, preferably made with cocoa.

I use a book called "Iced Delights" by Shona Crawford Poole (out of print but available on Amazon). Some really yummy "grown-up" ice cream recipes. Some use eggs and some don't. I suppose it depends on how confident you are in your egg supplier and whether you are serving it to children, elderly people or anyone with a compromised immune system. (That's based on the Government advice given over here. It may not be the same in the States)

I think your Cuisinart is a lot more sophisticated than mine, which is the type where you freeze the bowl before making the ice cream. The ice cream is quite soft when the machine has finished, which is fine if you like it like that but I usually pop it back in the freezer for an hour or two to harden up.

I sometimes see recipes that include gelatine but I'm not sure what this does and I have never had any problems not using it.

The egg yolk is usually used as both a thickener and emulsifier. You make your basic ice cream base, whatever flavor you like, then take about a half cup of the hot base and ladle it into the yolk that has been mixed with sugar. The tempers the yolk so that it doesn't turn into little, hard globules of cooked egg yolk, but rather thickens the base as you stir it in and simmer it (must keep stirring until the base is thick enough to coat the back of a spoon). Then you put the ice cream base into the refrigerator until cold, then into the ice cream maker.

Gelatin is added to ice cream to improve the texture. When I don't use it, the end result looks and tastes like ice cream, but leaves and unpleasant filmy feeling in my mouth, and it's not as smooth. The gelatin helps control the ice crystal size in the ice cream, keeping the crystals very, very small, which in turn makes the ice cream smoother, and creamier. It also keeps it from turning rock-hard when you freeze the ice cream that has come straight out of your ice cream maker.

Replacing 2/3's for the sugar in you recipe with corn syrup also improves the texture.

Hope this helps.

Seeeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

I don't know of any ice cream maker that doesn't come with at least a small recipe booklet.

Thanks for the tips Chief. :flowers: :chef:

Selkie, yes, the instruction booklet does have some recipes. They actually look pretty good, but I was looking for TNT recipes that DC members use.

I have a question. The instructions for the ice cream maker says to make sure the yield is 2 quarts or less and not to fill more than to within an inch of the top.

What is the minimum reasonable amount to put in the ice cream maker? Is there a way to judge by how much of the mixing arm is immersed? What percentage/proportion of the arm should be in the mix or how many inches/centimetres should be in?

I have a question. The instructions for the ice cream maker says to make sure the yield is 2 quarts or less and not to fill more than to within an inch of the top.

What is the minimum reasonable amount to put in the ice cream maker? Is there a way to judge by how much of the mixing arm is immersed? What percentage/proportion of the arm should be in the mix or how many inches/centimetres should be in?

Ice cream makers work by freezing the water in the ice cream base. The arms that either move inside, or sit stationary while the bow turns serve to continuously agitate the base as it's freezing. This keeps the ice crystals small, making the end result smooth and creamy, and whips air into the ice cream, making it light. Teh added air, and growth of ice crystals increases the volume of volume of the ice cream. If too much base is added to the ice cream maker, as it becomes ice cream, it will overflow the machine.

As a rule, your base should contain about 3 cups of ice cream base. This will turn into a quart of finished ice cream.

Oh, one more thing, if your ice cream maker has multiple speeds, the slower speed will make a more dense ice cream, almost like a gelato, while the higher speed will incorporate more air into the ice cream, making it softer, and lighter.

Take a look at the recipe I posted in the corn ice cream thread. The correct amounts of liquid are there for the base. Simply change the flavoring to what you want, i.e. use maple syrup instead of corn syrup, or make a strawberry syrup from fresh berries and sugar, and add it to the base. Use the parts of the recipe that are common, the milk, cream, and add sugar or syrup, and flavorings for the rest.

Hope that helps.

Chief Longwind of the North

Last edited:
The instructions that came with your ice cream maker will include recipes that are appropriate for that machine. Go by that volume and modify any recipes you get elsewhere to the acceptable amount of liquid.

For example, I have an ice cream maker that gives recipes that call for a total of 4 cups of cream/milk. Any recipes I use for ice cream will have no more than 4 cups of cream and milk. Flavorings and sweeteners will vary.

All the recipes in the instruction booklet seem to be for 4 to 5 cups of liquid. Are you guys saying that I shouldn't try to cut that amount, even keeping the same proportions of ingredients?

Here is my TNT recipe for Vanilla ice cream. I will copy and paste it for you. You will need to cut everything in half cause it makes one gallon of ice cream.

This is a recipe I developedfrom a mistake I made. Basically thisrecipe has a higher custard to milk/cream ratio than is normal. I made a custard for a 6 quart ice cream maker,only to find when it came time to cut the custard with milk/cream, I had a 4quart maker and could only add 3 cups of milk instead of the 6 cups called for in the 6 quart recipe.

Rich Vanilla Ice Cream or Peppermint yields1 gallon

In a large saucepan, Combine:

3 ½ cups Sugar

½ cup flour

¾ t. salt

Gradually stir in:

7 cups whole milk.

Cook over medium heat untilthickened, about 20 to 30 minutes, stirring constantly.

Beat 6 eggs in a mixer bowl. Gradually stir about one cup of hot mixture into the beaten eggs. Add back to remaining hot mixture, stirringconstantly. Cook one minute, remove from heat. Refrigerate at least 2 hours or overnight.

Combine:

3 cups whole milk or ½ and ½or whipping cream

3 T. vanilla

¼ t. peppermint oil(optional)

Add to chilled mixture and stir to combine

Pour into chilled canister and place in ice creammaker. Freeze as directed.

This recipe makes what Iconsider to be a French style rich vanilla custard ice cream.

For a sublime dessert, usethe peppermint-flavored ice cream and serve over a brownie. Adding a ¼ t. peppermint oil makes a lightlyflavored ice cream. You could add up toslightly less than ½ t. peppermint oil for a stronger flavored peppermint icecream.

Or make the plain vanilla icecream and serve with chocolate sauce, or butterscotch sauce. Sometimes I add 2 cups semi sweet chocolatechips to either the plain vanilla or peppermint recipe.

Last edited:
All the recipes in the instruction booklet seem to be for 4 to 5 cups of liquid. Are you guys saying that I shouldn't try to cut that amount, even keeping the same proportions of ingredients?

No. I was actually addressing maximums. You could cut quantities back some to make smaller amounts.

Half worked wonderfully. I just made ~750 ml (~3 cups) of vanilla ice cream. Oh my, that was lovely. Next, I'll try chocolate, and then the French style vanilla, using vanilla bean.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom