Anyone own Wusthof Classics?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rozz

Senior Cook
I'm looking into buying a set. I tried out the 8" chef's knife and the vegetable knife at Williams-Sonoma. I *love* them. But before I go back in there and throw my money at them like I'm not an adult with bills to pay, anyone have any reviews?

Thanks for any help!

I prefer the handle design on the Classic Ikon.

But that's meaningless. What counts is how comfortable the knives are in your hands.

Before buying any knife you should handle it in the store exactly the way you'd use it at home.

So far as quality goes, it's hard to fault anything that says Wusthof on it.

Fabulous. I have used the Ikons (yay, in-store demos), and while I concede that they are a well-made knife, the Classics just feel better in my hand. It was like the first Harry Potter movie, when they placed the correct wand in his hand. Seriously, there was a bright light from the heavens and my clothing rippled in the sudden breeze.

I have a set of the classics (yay generous sister!) and I really really like them. Just the weight and balance helps with cutting and chopping. I had a set of inexpensive Rada knives and they were great when I didn't have a ton of money to spend, but then when I switched to the Wusthoff, chopping became a joy.

You have my eternal thanks for the recommendation. Now, to hunt down a vegetable knife. :D

The Classics are a nice knife. I'm confident you'll love them. Are you sure you need the vegetable knife? With an 8" chef's knife it's kind of redundant. Consider a 4" paring knife and/or a 10" bread knife.

I like the Ikon Knives because they fit into my hand better than the Classic and I gave my Classic to my son.
Just starting assembling a set of Ikon and more to come later. Told the children what I need for BD and Christmas.
img_1111399_0_e72840acc474724cff13fabd54fea314.jpg

I like the feel / weight and looks of the wusthof classics I'm going to be putting together a set one buying them one by one at different places at discount prices. So far I have the 8" chefs knife and the 6" flexible boning knife. Next I plan on getting the paring knife with the take apart shears. I plan on either putting the 12 or the 20 piece set.

If your heart is set on Wusthof so be it, but I think the Richmond Artifex is a better knife and substantially cheaper. The AEB-L steel is superior to the garden-variety stainless used by Wusthof, and the lack of a bolster makes it both lighter and easier to sharpen. AEB-L is a Swedish steel designed for razor blades, so it can hold very acute edge angles while resisting corrosion very well.

In any event, whatever you buy, it's hard to beat the service of CKtG. Certainly shipping should be extra fast seeing as you guys are neighbors!

I have a few Wusthof Classic knives and I really like them, although they are not my go to knives. The go to knives are my vintage carbon steel Sabatiers.

I just found my set of F. Dick forged knives! I had forgotten I had them!

Fabulous. I have used the Ikons (yay, in-store demos), and while I concede that they are a well-made knife, the Classics just feel better in my hand. It was like the first Harry Potter movie, when they placed the correct wand in his hand. Seriously, there was a bright light from the heavens and my clothing rippled in the sudden breeze.

I agree. I love the Wusthof Classic. I have a 10" Chef, a 6" Chef (makes a good utility knife), and a 5" boning knife. I didn't buy a set because I didn't really need the whole set. I did buy the 3 that I seem to use the most though. When I have to use a knife anywhere away from home, it's always disappointing, in large part because of the comfortable fit of the Classic to my hand.

I tried the Ikon too, and it just isn't as comfortable for me. And since it also cost more, well..... ;)

Back
Top Bottom