Anyone up for Thai, next weekend??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
texasgirl said:
corazon had mentioned that Thai would be fun. I think that I can find the stuff I need for it this time:mrgreen: Anyone else interested?

BTW, does anyone have any recipes that don't include curry? DH has ulcers and other stomach ailments that can't take the spice of it.

tg, has your hubby been checked for h. pylori? a lot of ulcers and dispepsia are caused by bacteria and can be treated fairly easily with antibiotics.

i've had buddies that suffered thru ulcers to the point of having to sleep sitting up in a chair, and then they finally got tested. all it took was some tests, and then pills to get rid of it.

here's more than you need to know about h. pylori :http://www.helico.com/index.html

he may end up with radioactive breath (much like ronjohn in the a.m. after a brewer's club meeting. :huh: ), but if it cures the ulcer, that'll be great.

Okay, here is my plate. I don't like Thai too much. The chicken was good and the rice was okay. The noodles......no, didn't care for the fishy after taste:sick:
But, it was worth trying. Youngest son likes the chicken and the noodles, hated the rice. DH, he didn't any of it. I wish I had grabbed my camera and got a picture of his face:LOL: THAT was diffinately worth making all of it!!!!

Attachments

• thai.jpg
    thai.jpg
    141.1 KB · Views: 202
texasgirl said:
So, am I the only one doing this today??
Here is what I'm making.
The Pad Thai that pds listed,
Thai Chicken
Thai coconut rice

I'm going to lunch and a movie today. We're going to On the border. I have a feeling that it might be a bad mistake mixing the Mexican dishes and Thai dishes, but, I think it'll be worth the sickness tomorrow!! LOL

TG, I managed to get to the store to find the ingredients for the Thai Style Spicy Beef Jantaboon that I mentioned above. I should get to preparing it. Since prepping all the ingredients takes some time. I love Pad Thai. Your dinner sounds wonderful.

Cool pic, tg. Can you tell us what each ingredient is on the plate? Looks yummy. So sorry to read your family didn't care for the dishes. I don't know about the recipes in the links you posted (if they are t&t), but go to a Thai restaurant (if you have not already); so you know what the true dish tastes like & have something to compare it with. The Taste of Thai recipes in the link I posted, are excellent. I have never detected a fishy taste. Maybe it was the recipe. Rather than picking a recipe off the internet, I would come here and ask the members for recipes first. Give Thai another try.

Last edited:
Oh, sorry.
The yellow is the coconut rice. It's pretty sticky and it's okay, just bland.
The noodles are the orange. It's okay too, just the fishy after taste turned me on that one. The chicken is good though. It had a mixture of ginger and other things. It didn't have so much ginger to over power the other flavors. It was perfect. I would like to try it with white meat though.

My recipe turned out as good as I remembered it. I might have made it a bit too spicy though. Less chile peppers next time. The best thing is that I have enough for leftovers for lunch on Monday. Maybe the chilies will mellow some with time.

Last edited:
Once upon a time, many years ago, I was dating three men. Two were steak-and-potatoes kinda guys. Both were very tall (often a deciding factor when you're 5'9" tall and wear heels) and strong. One was shorter than I, and had more brains than brawn. HOWEVER, not being particularly young and impressionable, I woke up one morning to realize that I enjoyed going to the restaurants the third man took me to (introducing me to Thai, Korean, Spanish (flamenco dancers and all)), and we enjoyed cooking for each other (face it, there is only so much fun involved in steak and burgers). So when he asked me to go to Hawaii with him, I replied that I'd go, but wouldn't make another move without a wedding ring (he was military). I think we all know there isn't such a thing as happily ever after, but we come close to it. 23 years and thousands of miles later, the wedding rings don't fit our chubby fingers. But Thai food is on the menu whenever I can get my act together enough for it

The point is: You can do a lot worse than making a life decision based on food! After all, you do it several times every day for the rest of your life. That's more than you can say for a lot of the other things (appearances, that three letter word that will get bleeped if I mention it, expectations of family, etc) that people base marriages on.

Thanks for sharing that story, Roy.
You have a point there. I love my husband, and that's why we married (our reason, so to say) but I get so frustrated he hates half of the food I like. He's vegetarian, I can live with that easily, but he's too picky, and if I leave him to it, he eats pizza and fries every day. But, being young and somewhat impressionable, I do get him to try more and more, and maybe even like it! I hope someday I can cook up a storm without omitting half of the vegetables, spices and herbs.
Until then, I have my moments alone with lentils and cilantro...

I love these rice papers. A good hands-on party (if you're into that kind of thing) is to take a couple of pyrex pie plates and fill half way with water. Put one at each end of the table.

In between have shredded lettuce, cabbage, carrots. Thinly sliced onions (preferably green scallions). Tons of herbs: Cilantro, parsley, mint as a minimum. Because lemongrass isn't always easy to get here you can zest some lemon and lime. Steam some shrimp, and very lightly sautee some beef. Make a dressing of rice wine vinegar, lime juice, sugar, and if your tastes go that way, hot peppers (if not, slice the hot peppers into a separate bowl). The sauce really should have some fish sauce in it, but personally I find when I buy a bottle it is enough for an army, so I cheat and use worchestershire (has fish sauce in it) or anchovy paste in a tube.

Everyone soaks their own rice paper, and rolls their own "summer rolls". This is a lot of fun. They are also very pretty, because the rice paper becomes transluscent when wet.

This is really Vietnamese rather than Thai in my experience. I've done it in restaurants and at home and it is great fun.

Yes, but not here. It was easy to grow in Hawaii and in Florida, but I haven't a source for a plant here, and assume it would have to be taken in in the winters (?) here. So I've just used various replacements with pretty good success.

Back
Top Bottom