April Fool's Day 2016 ~ The REAL food thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cooking Goddess

Chef Extraordinaire
I dunno about you guys, but I decided to make a nice meal tonight after all. :-p I think we need to show off what we ate today instead of what we thought of making today. Uh, unless some of you really MADE your dinner from this thread. :ermm:

I sauteed chicken breasts and mushroooms in a bit of butter, then added white wine. Sides were recycled roasted potatoes and Parmesan'd asparagus from Easter, along with fresh steamed broccoli and salads.

What did you really eat today?

Oops, forgot to post my picture. For someone who wasn't in the mood to cook today, I think I put together a pretty plate. :)

Andy, must have been chicken and asparagus day in MA.

Attachments

• 2016-04-01 21.36.42.jpg
    2016-04-01 21.36.42.jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 184
Chicken and asparagus day in Cali too. I did a beer butt oven chicken, with wonder of all wonders...just salt and pepper. Asparagus roasted in the oven while the chicken rested in a foil tent and SC's little casserole of stove top stuffing browned in the toaster oven.

Dang, it's been ages since I've just used salt and pepper as the only seasonings. Deeelish!

Tonight I made chicken, ham and lentil stew in my Instant Pot multicooker, based on this recipe: http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/...-cooker-chicken-lentil-bacon-stew-recipe.html

I used ham from Easter instead of bacon, added another carrot and a parsnip, and added some Penzeys Chipotle Powder for a bit of heat. I also crisped the chicken skins in the toaster oven to put on top and served it with the last of the rolls I made last weekend. Yummy! :yum:

Attachments

• 1459566402061.jpg
    1459566402061.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 169
We did end up at our favorite spot for pre-grocery shopping. Penny's Diner in Morrill, Nebraska - we had the chicken fried steak and potatoes off the Senior Menu. Then we hit Wal-mart in Scottsbluff, funny, we only bought what was on our list.

We're still both shuffling around like elderly zombies following our trip, but I polished off the spaghetti and made DH a grilled cheese sandwich. Celery sticks and ranch dip.

Last edited:
Aaaargh....! Just made a long post, hit submit, and got knocked off the site! :glare:

I'll try again. Good looking dinners, CG and GG!

Princess - sticking to your Walmart list is a feat in itself. I'm rarely able to do that. :huh:

Tonight's dinner was a HUGE salad - didn't start out all that big, but when you keep adding little bits of a whole lot of stuff.....:ermm::LOL: Iceberg lettuce, red leaf lettuce, spinach, mushrooms, hard cooked egg, carrots, celery, onions, and chopped beets. Topped with a handful of garlicky croutons and ranch. Deelish. I was going to have a grilled cheese sandwich with it, now I'm glad I didn't!

Super simple dinner tonight. I made a spinach salad with leftover shredded chicken, hard boiled eggs, feta cheese, and a bunch of other things I managed to scrummage from the fridge. I dressed it with the last of the homemade Greek vinaigrette I made for Easter. The fridge finally looks a little emptier.

I made a batch of meat sauce which we had with spaghetti. It was one of those times when you think you are just going to make up a small amount and keep adding and by the time you are done you have a gallon of the stuff. Just as well. Going to visit the kids today so I can bring them some.

Back
Top Bottom