Are you conscious about Salt in your food?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
All salt is sea salt. Table salt is sea salt. All salt is NaCl. Some salt has trace minerals that could potentially give very slight flavor differences, but I have yet to find that true for myself. The reason some salts seem saltier or less salty than others is the shape and size of the crystals and how they disolve on your tongue. Saltwise they are the same. NaCl is NaCl.

Sorry, that is incorrect that all salt is sea salt. Table salt comes from underground salt mines and is dug out like coal. Wild animals used to find veins of salt at the surface and learned to lick it to supplement their diets. Only a tiny portion of available salt is "sea salt" acquired from evaporation and must be labeled as such.

Yes it comes from underground salt mines. Those salt mines were once ocean. The salt came from the ocean water that has since receded or evaporated.

I wasn't around back then, but I would anticipate it was more the other way around, since the first water on our planet was created by rain and atmospheric conditions. It did not rain salt water. But nonetheless, mined salt is not technically or otherwise defined as sea salt.

The Mediterranean sea salt I buy from Trader Joe's is a product of Sapin. It is naturally snow white. Aaccording to the information on the package, the salt it is dried in small salt fields. It is unrefined and minimally processed to maximize the natural magnesiium and iodine content. Each 1/4 teaspoon contains 18% sodium (440mg). The only ingredient listed in the contents is sea salt.

The Morton Sea Salt found at the grocey store contains Sea Salt, yellow Prussiate of Soda. The container does not contain iodide, nor does it list dietary informatio; for it I must call Morton's.

Morton's sea salt crystals has a more mild flavor when compared to the fine grind Sea Salt I buy from Trader Joe's,

I love salt

I love salt. I am habituated with it.
Is there any way to get rid of salt by any substitute which I can adapt very easily?

or salt substitute. i used to use it as a kidddo & liked it. i think it's just potassium?
i keep an eye on my salt, to avoid pufffiness,:rolleyes: though i love me some pickles, anchovies, capers, olives, canned soups, & frozen meals & bacon! sheesh, i'm glad i'm on a diet or i'd go assemble pasta puttanesca right now & i'm not really into cooking today.

or salt substitute. i used to use it as a kidddo & liked it. i think it's just potassium?
i keep an eye on my salt, to avoid pufffiness,:rolleyes: though i love me some pickles, anchovies, capers, olives, canned soups, & frozen meals & bacon! sheesh, i'm glad i'm on a diet or i'd go assemble pasta puttanesca right now & i'm not really into cooking today.
oooooooooooo i also love all those things!! there is nothing like a good full sour whole pickle with a nice lean corned beef sammie!! we go to a place called harold's NY deli that make corned beef sammies that 3 people share, they are about a foot to a foot and half high!! always have doggy bags!! but they have a pickle bar with full sour and other types of pickles, pickled green tomatoes, the pickled salad (which i can't for the life of me remember the at the moment) califlower, carrot etc, rye bread, white bread and muffins. everything there is BIG. a slice of cake feeds the 4 of us and i ordered an eclair once and omg it was almost 2 feet long!

and of course i always get an egg cream in a frosty mug. hmmmmmmmmm i think we will eat at harold's before we hit the road on our vacation road trip.

I love salt. I am habituated with it.
Is there any way to get rid of salt by any substitute which I can adapt very easily?

I have whats Labeled "NU-SALT". The primary component is potassium chloride.

It is a sodium free salt substitute that you should be able to find in the spice area of any major grocery store in the US.

I can't tell the difference between this and regular table salt. Does taste a bit different than sea salt to me though.

Bob

Being a salt-a-holic myself, I try to be very conscientious about salt in my cooking. I know that if I think something is salted just right, anyone with salt-related health issues might find it too salty. So I'm cautious about how much I salt food when I'm entertaining. My husband's blood pressure is under control with meds now, and he never was the salt-a-holic that I am. I refuse to cook flavorless food so don't completely eschew salt. But when I do salt, I do far less than I would for my own taste, then put salt cellars on the table.

Being a salt-a-holic myself, I try to be very conscientious about salt in my cooking. I know that if I think something is salted just right, anyone with salt-related health issues might find it too salty. So I'm cautious about how much I salt food when I'm entertaining. My husband's blood pressure is under control with meds now, and he never was the salt-a-holic that I am. I refuse to cook flavorless food so don't completely eschew salt. But when I do salt, I do far less than I would for my own taste, then put salt cellars on the table.
i also am the same with my cooking and ask someone else to do a lot of tasting if i think the food is flat before adding more salt. but over the years i have cut down on my personal salting also. i tend to choose salty snacks if any over sweet.

oooooooooooo i also love all those things!! there is nothing like a good full sour whole pickle with a nice lean corned beef sammie!! we go to a place called harold's NY deli that make corned beef sammies that 3 people share, they are about a foot to a foot and half high!! always have doggy bags!! but they have a pickle bar with full sour and other types of pickles, pickled green tomatoes, the pickled salad (which i can't for the life of me remember the at the moment) califlower, carrot etc, rye bread, white bread and muffins. everything there is BIG. a slice of cake feeds the 4 of us and i ordered an eclair once and omg it was almost 2 feet long!

and of course i always get an egg cream in a frosty mug. hmmmmmmmmm i think we will eat at harold's before we hit the road on our vacation road trip.

yum...
you mean chow-chow? the pickled salad, i mean?

yum...
you mean chow-chow? the pickled salad, i mean?
hmmmmmmmmmmm it sounds more italian.

AHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA i found it Italian Pickled Vegetables - Giardiniera
oops sorry i meant veggies not salad.

Back
Top Bottom