Are Your Grocery Prices Increasing?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I've been here four years and gas was okay when I got here but now OUCH. Meat prices do still freak me out. I miss VONS. I would be happy to have a Safeway here.

I agree about the produce here. I laugh when I see California strawberries at $5 a pint. I used to get them from the roadside vendor for $2 and they were fresh. But on the plus side, my rent is half of what it was in California ~ I keep telling myself that and I remain happy.
Yes, gas is high here too, but still cheaper than Vista. You are sure right about the price of housing here. The apartment I used to live in here had a large yard (there were two buildings, each with 2 townhouse style apartments) and I paid $385 a month. My daughter was in an almost identical apartment in Vista (in a large complex--no yard) and paid almost $1,000. We are buying our house and property now (a long single-wide mobile home on an acre) for $33,000. I couldn't even imagine what we would have paid for the same thing in San Diego County. We will have it paid off in 5 years and hope to build a house here.

I miss Vons and Ralph's. I also miss Safeway, although the one in Vista closed years before I moved and Vons moved in there. I know there was a Safeway in Washington D.C. when I visited there a few years ago, so maybe someday they will branch out back here too. Probably not, but we can only hope. Their Lucerne brand was the best when it came to dairy products. As far as the grocery stores here, Harris Teeter is probably the most California-like of the ones I have been to. After they moved our Bi-Lo into a new building they became a little more like the stores back home too.

:)Barbara

Last edited:
David Cottrell said:
Corn is being diverted to this fuel nonsense which will drive up the price of beef, well it is already.

High corn prices are driving up the cost of all animal feeds, thus high meats, eggs, and dairy products. These high corn prices are also reflected in any and all types of corn sweetners used in various products. Not to mention corn meal, corn flour,....the list is long!!

Meats here are not below $1.99/lb .. that's usually Pork. Everything else is well over that. Chicken usually hits over a $1.00. Sometimes you can whole chickens for about $0.89/lb. Beef is totally out of our price range most weeks, when I do find a good buy, I pick up as many as I can afford and freeze them.

Milk $3.15/gal for 1% at Cumberland Farms, everywhere else, $3.99.

Deli Meat, most about $7.99/lb.

Pasta used to be 3 or 4 for a $1.00, not it's $0.89 a box, Angel Hair usually around $1.49/box, rarely under a $1.00.

I try to keep the grocery bill down, but I'm lucky if I get it under $100. When I do get it under $100, I keep thinking I forgot a couple of things. When I have to get the garbage bags and aluminum foil or plastic wrap, toilet paper, paper towels, etc., I'm spending close to $150, seems like I run out of these things all at the same time.

Gas for the car .. over $3. And I have to budget that in weekly too.

My car broke down. One tire popped, one had a big bubble, these are replaced, but I still have to put a new alternator in the car. Needed to put that in BEFORE the tires, and was going to, till the tire problem happened. Now we still have to do the alternator and budget in christmas shopping, thanksgiving dinner and christmas dinner in the next month or two.

CALGON ... TAKE ME AWAY!!!!

Yeah, I did notice that the prices took quite a jump recently.
Apparently we have got rid of the butter and milk surplus in Europe so now we have to pay more for dairy products.
But that is not the only thing that got more expensive.
Packets of chips I buy used to be 45 cents last year. Now they are 59 cents.
Packets of oatmeal I buy used to be 24 cents, just a few weeks ago. Now they are 35 cents. And many other products have taken a price jump.
I try to stay within a budget and buy as much as I can within that budget, and I am finding that I get less less for the same money. To make it more annoying, my boyfriend has never got a pay increase even though he has been working for the same company for the last 4 years. We live on his income.

Mel

To make it more annoying, my boyfriend has never got a pay increase even though he has been working for the same company for the last 4 years. We live on his income.

Mel

And when people do get pay increases, everything else goes up in price too. And usually more than the pay increase.

I always stock up on sale items. I've noticed everything go up lately. Even dried beans!

I just got back from my weekly grocery run and once again feel sick about how much I spent! I'm not buying anything out of the ordinary, but it seems like every week, the bill gets a little higher. This week, I noticed that the cheese we normally buy went up 30 cents from last week, and the pasta sauce I buy when I don't make my own jumped a quarter! Milk, around here, is now over $4 for a gallon of skim. :wacko: Anyone else noticing this lately? What are you doing to try to keep your costs in check?

PA Baker, where do you shop? I live around Harrisburg, and I've always found that Giant is the most expensive around, followed closely by Weis. I go to Karns for my meats, and Wal-Mart for most other staples.

If I feel like getting more variety, I'll go to the new Wegmans (which is still cheaper than Weis or Giant).

Water?

I wish my brother could read all your comments on this thread. He has been telling me for 'many' years that we will have to pay as much for water as we do gas! I always assured him I believed him but today it is true. He was really shocked to hear about the condition in Georgia where his daughter lives that they are rationing out the water. No useage for outside watering anymore. Also when they go to restaurant there is no water provided unless you request it. How about that? This is really worrying me. You think having all this water around us that we would experience shortage? Is this connected to Global Warming?

Prices in the store are so out of range that I make up my mind I will have to limit 'other' things to maintain our goal of eating healthy. I must confess I don't like to pay a $1 for an orange. I do and always have taken supplements as i feel the quality can never be found again unless you live on a farm yourself or know someone who does. I do question whether 'our' food will be marked China within a short time. (Even though my mother named our dog China, I do get upset when I see it) It only is reminder that our people are being left out. We used to be #1 and now when we are worried about our food source it bothers me worse.

I do hope and pray for God to allow this country to continue to be blessed. It only will if people will try to return to the values they once had. Material things will deteriorate, our bodies are a necessity. Try to increase your level of faith, ask for guidance, and try to eat all that is good for you. Chips and cookies should be first thing that is eliminated.

I only say these things as if talking to myself. It also helps when is put them here. Whenever I tell someone my opinion I really try to impress upon myself that it is urgent and necessary. As i said, as I want for myself I hope for you. Ever hear the song, blest be t he tie that binds?

Hope I didn't get off the topice of high prices. Everything works together. I apologize if I said too much. Sometimes I open up and express my opinion which may offend someone. I do that a lot, open my heart. Thanks for your time.

I wish my brother could read all your comments on this thread. He has been telling me for 'many' years that we will have to pay as much for water as we do gas! I always assured him I believed him but today it is true. He was really shocked to hear about the condition in Georgia where his daughter lives that they are rationing out the water. No useage for outside watering anymore. Also when they go to restaurant there is no water provided unless you request it. How about that? This is really worrying me. You think having all this water around us that we would experience shortage? Is this connected to Global Warming?

Prices in the store are so out of range that I make up my mind I will have to limit 'other' things to maintain our goal of eating healthy. I must confess I don't like to pay a $1 for an orange. I do and always have taken supplements as i feel the quality can never be found again unless you live on a farm yourself or know someone who does. I do question whether 'our' food will be marked China within a short time. (Even though my mother named our dog China, I do get upset when I see it) It only is reminder that our people are being left out. We used to be #1 and now when we are worried about our food source it bothers me worse.

I do hope and pray for God to allow this country to continue to be blessed. It only will if people will try to return to the values they once had. Material things will deteriorate, our bodies are a necessity. Try to increase your level of faith, ask for guidance, and try to eat all that is good for you. Chips and cookies should be first thing that is eliminated.

I only say these things as if talking to myself. It also helps when is put them here. Whenever I tell someone my opinion I really try to impress upon myself that it is urgent and necessary. As i said, as I want for myself I hope for you. Ever hear the song, blest be t he tie that binds?

Hope I didn't get off the topice of high prices. Everything works together. I apologize if I said too much. Sometimes I open up and express my opinion which may offend someone. I do that a lot, open my heart. Thanks for your time.

Not to worry. Uncle Sam is likely to solve the food price problem much like the health care cost problem is being solved :cool:.

Not to worry. Uncle Sam is likely to solve the food price problem much like the health care cost problem is being solved :cool:.
Oh and dont forget about the gas problem to eh.

Hi. I don't know if this is connected to global warming, but there is a serious drought going on in the entire southeastern part of the country right now. It's especially serious around Atlanta; therefore, they have had to institute water restrictions (not the same as rationing). People use too much water anyway; IMO this is a good opportunity to learn how to make do with less and keep that up in the future.

Last edited:
I don't keep a close watch on how much things cost or how much prices have gone up, but I know they have gone up. This is from a sale sheet from a local grocery store chain:

- whole chicken, 58 cents/lb.
- Angus top round London broil, $1.88/lb.
- skinless, boneless chicken breast, $1.98/lb.
- grapes, 98 cents/lb.
- jumbo Fla. oranges, 2/$1
- various types of apples, $2.99/3-lb. bag
- asparagus, $3.99/lb.

One way I've started saving money (when I remember) is to buy plastic wrap, foil, bags, cleaners, etc., at the dollar store.

I need to take a drive up to my dad's and stop in VA on the way home for groceries. Grapes were $2.99 a pound yesterday. Apples $5 a bag. You are getting much better prices up there than I am here.

I know people hate Wal-Mart but I'd be broke without it. It's right around the corner (which saves gas), and their prices beat Harris Teeter, Lowes, and Bloom. Although I don't necessarily buy meat from them because they don't cut it themselves. When I want good meat, I bite the bullet and got to HT. They are almost finished building a Lowes between my house and my work, at which time I'll likely shop there more for sale items.

Hi. I don't know if this is connected to global warming, but there is a serious drought going on in the entire southeastern part of the country right now. It's especially serious around Atlanta; therefore, they have had to institute water restrictions (not the same as rationing). People use too much water anyway; IMO this is a good opportunity to learn how to make do with less and keep that up in the future.
:)I dont know if its global warming but I remember restaurants not offering water many years ago in Colorado because of a shortage.Droughts happen and you are right people waste alot of water.Like washing just a couple of pieces of clothes in a big washing machine I try to make sure I have a full load when I wash.Toilets also use alot of water and the list goes on.I think restaurants should not offer water anyway most of it never gets drank.Then to add to that washing all those water glasses that no one drank uses even more in the big dishwashers in restaurants.Here at the ranch they have a sign in the rooms that if you dont want your towels washed everyday leave them on the rack if you want them washed throw them on the floor.

Don't think that the rise in food prices is an american phenomenom.In june, when I stated my catering business bulk butter was 4.20 euro a kilo.($5.92) as of one week ago the price shot up to 6,75 euro( $9.52) All of the dairy and wheat products are sky rocketing. Flour (1 kilo was .49 euro and now it is .71 euro. Forget about cheap vacations in Greece!!

Dust Bowl

someone in class told me for period of 10 years there was something that they called the Dust Bowl condition. He really was questioning my intellect when he brought this topic up. I never did read about this but i sure will now. He said there was severe drought in the states. My brother said the glaciers have decreased by 1/4 since 2005.

I am sure like everything you must check where your priorities are and make a list as to what you can do WITHOUT.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom