Arrivals begin! Dinners on July 25/26 too!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Alix

Everymom
Moderator Emeritus
OK, I got a text this morning that we will have guests for dinner tonight! 4 extra mouths tonight and 6 tomorrow night. So...need some input.

Thursday:

40 clove chicken - thighs and breasts
mashed potatoes? rice? egg noodles?

Killer coleslaw
Cooked veggie?

Ganache tart with fresh blueberries and raspberries

Nibblies at night - Layered dip and chips, peanuts and chocolate covered cranberries and blueberries.

Dip...cream cheese/feta on the bottom with chopped black olives, tomatoes and green peppers on top? or the classic seafood dip - cream cheese/mayo bottom, cocktail sauce, then canned crab and baby shrimp on top?

Now for Friday:

Pulled pork on buns
No Mayo potato salad (can't decide between powerplantop and GotGarlic's)

Fresh green salad with garden greens
Cooked veggie?

Blueberry crisp or pie for dessert? Lemon pie?

Nibblies for night - wings? buffalo chicken dip?

Help please! My brain is overloaded with plans to shop and clean etc and it would be immensely helpful to have solid menu plans for the next couple of days. Anywhere there is a ? I would like input please and thanks.

OK, I got a text this morning that we will have guests for dinner tonight! 4 extra mouths tonight and 6 tomorrow night. So...need some input.

Thursday:

Would you do buttered noodles? If so, that would be good with the chicken and coleslaw.
Killer coleslaw
Cooked veggie?
I don't think you'd need a cook veggie unless there are enough folks who won't eat the coleslaw.

Nibblies at night - Layered dip and chips, peanuts and chocolate covered cranberries and blueberries.

Dip...cream cheese/feta on the bottom with chopped black olives, tomatoes and green peppers on top? or the classic seafood dip - cream cheese/mayo bottom, cocktail sauce, then canned crab and baby shrimp on top?
They both sound lovely but the first one sounds lighter for snacking.

Now for Friday:

Pulled pork on buns

Cooked veggie?
Not necessary with the garden salads and potato salads[/I]
Blueberry crisp would be my choice
Nibblies for night - wings? buffalo chicken dip? [/COLOR
Wings don't seem to be a snack item in my brain so I wouldn't mess with them. The buffalo chicken dip would be good though. You could also get some ice cream novelties and cookies/brownies for the sweet toothed

Help please! My brain is overloaded with plans to shop and clean etc and it would be immensely helpful to have solid menu plans for the next couple of days. Anywhere there is a ? I would like input please and thanks.

I hope this helps

Thursday:

I'd go with egg noodles, buttered or not, to soak up the sauce and it's less work than mash

Killer coleslaw
Cooked veggie?
Something easy, like green bean almondine.

Wish I could have some! :)

I agree with Jabbur - something lighter for nibbling. First one sounds good.

Now for Friday:

Pulled pork on buns
Mine, of course ;)

Cooked veggie?
Again agree with Jabbur - potatoes and green salad should be enough.

I'm a lemon lover myself, so would choose that. Crisp is easier, though.

Jabbur is on the money! Wings don't seem like a nibbly items to me. Maybe cheese, crackers and grapes.

Where possible, I would take the easier option. You've got a lot of work ahead of you. I made up a breakfast bread pudding last winter; let me know if you'd like to have the recipe. Good luck and have fun!

Thursday:

Another vote for noodles. When you drain them in the colander you could melt a little butter in the pot, then return the noodles to the pot and coat with butter - maybe add in some fresh parley?

Cooked veggie?
If you have room in the oven, do a pan of roasted brussels sprouts cut in half, tossed with olive oil and a little salt and garlic powder. When they come out of the oven toss them with some grated parm.

I like option #1 since it's different, at least to me.

Now for Friday:

Cooked veggie?
If you must have something for a hot veggie used canned baked beans. You can always jazz them up with sauteed bacon and onions.

Crisp because it's less work. Plus, nothing better than using fresh blues in the summer.

Or, maybe, graze through the leftovers? By now you MUST have a stuffed 'fridge! :LOL:

... Anywhere there is a ? I would like input please and thanks.

Like GG said, a breakfast pudding (or baked French toast) would be good to have on hand for morning. First one up can heat the oven, take the casserole out of the 'fridge, and start the baking. There are lots of baked French toast recipes on the web - I like mine made with Challah. You know, in case I DO make it up there. ;)

Sorry I didn't reply. I was reading and cooking. The 40 clove chicken is in the oven, the tart is cooling and the feta/pepper/tomato dip is in the fridge. I did some green beans and have proscuitto and parmesan ready to get put on top to get nummy. The coleslaw is ready for the dressing and the noodles are ready to rock. My guests will be here in about 15 minutes. WHEW! Thanks all.

I'd love to have that breakfast casserole recipe GG.

Going with the blueberry crisp tomorrow, GG's potato salad (which I think will go well with the pulled pork) and screw the cooked veggie. I'll make the salad bigger! And the buffalo chicken dip was the hands down winner when I asked the fam.

Thanks you guys. I sure appreciate the help. I'll likely be offline now til Monday or Tuesday. Ciao!

GG, my guests don't like black olives. What kind of nutjobs don't like olives??? So I'm doing half and half. Half with, half without. I think its your pulled pork recipe I'm using too! I rubbed the meat last night and its just sitting on the counter warming up now. I have too much to do in the crockpot so its going in my turkey roaster.

GG, my guests don't like black olives. What kind of nutjobs don't like olives??? So I'm doing half and half. Half with, half without. I think its your pulled pork recipe I'm using too! I rubbed the meat last night and its just sitting on the counter warming up now. I have too much to do in the crockpot so its going in my turkey roaster.

(whispers quietly) They were in the original recipe, but we don't like olives either ;-)

Hope you love the pulled pork :)

I'm really sorry I forgot to post the bread pudding recipe. Got busy getting ready for this trip and just forgot. A French Toast casserole would probably work better, though. Less chopping :)

Last edited:
The pulled pork was a HUGE hit. Everyone loved it. No worries about the recipe, I haven't had time to get on here and look at anything anyway! I got lazy and went out and bought costco muffins and fruit for breakfast food. Between that and the bacon and eggs, we covered everyone.

Thanks for all the help you guys gave me, the weekend was a BLAST and we are all still groaning about how much food we all ate.

Thanks PF! It was a wickedly fun weekend, and I'm thankful to have a few days off still before returning to work!

We felt so blessed that folks were willing to take time to travel here to party with us and so many of our guests had been at our wedding. Friends of the heart. Lovely weekend.

Back
Top Bottom