Asian Market Faves?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Black Soy Sauce.

Sweet and thick. Has molasses added.

black-soy-sauce-healthy-boy-brand-p-33.html

http://www.easythaieasygo.com/black-soy-sauce-healthy-boy-brand-p-33.html

Last edited:
You guys should have come with me! I saw those brands, but didn't know whether to get them or not!

Added to the list. Thanks!

I am amazed at how much cheaper things are at the Oriental Grocery (yes, that's the name) than the same stuff on Amazon. For example, Kimlan low sodium soy sauce 20 oz was $4.49 in the store, on Amazon it's around $11.00 plus shipping.

Last edited:
I got my fish sauce as a gift from Damien, I was upset with a bottle I had bought that I had to leave outside, it smelled so bad. He sent me a bottle of the good stuff.

I think Kikkoman low sodium is the absolute best for low sodium. I use Healthy Boy for non low sodium.

The "Oriental Grocery" is sorta like the "Colored Grocery." Yes, it's unfortunately named, but it might be better just to call it your Asian market.

Last edited:
I think Kikkoman low sodium is the absolute best for low sodium. I use Healthy Boy for non low sodium.

The "Oriental Grocery" is sorta like the "Colored Grocery." Yes, it's unfortunately named, but it might be better just to call it your Asian market.

Got it! Thanks!

I like Kikkoman low sodium for general purpose too. It's 24% sodium. The Kimlan is 21% sodium. I tasted some, and it has that great "restaurant" taste.

Got it! Thanks!

I like Kikkoman low sodium for general purpose too. It's 24% sodium. The Kimlan is 21% sodium. I tasted some, and it has that great "restaurant" taste.

Interesting...

Could you maybe post a pic if it? Because its not a familiar brand and when you see a sea of soy sauces at the store its easier to go by what they look like .

I'd love to try a lower sodium soy sauce with flavor!!!

Interesting...

Could you maybe post a pic if it? Because its not a familiar brand and when you see a sea of soy sauces at the store its easier to go by what they look like .

I'd love to try a lower sodium soy sauce with flavor!!!
Here ya go!

They sell it cheaper than Amazon, but $2 more than my little Asian market. The Amazon reviews are fun to read, apparently folks have been hoarding the little packets from the restaurants.
http://vietnamesesupermarket.com/images/products/detail/IMG_8694.JPG

Last edited:
Don't forget the fresh veggies. Around here, super cheap.
99 cent a pound nappa cabbage, vs 2.88 in the supermarket.
If you like cookies and such, be sure to check those out too.
Noodles. Rice, wheat, bean... all cheaper.
Kepac Manin... its a thick sweet soy sauce, very good.
Frozen dumplings! Wei-chuan is a good brand.
Thin sliced dehydrated shiitake mushrooms. Great for everything, super cheap.
And be daring, try some of the cold single serve beverages; fruit drinks and such!

Anything at the
Pagsanjan Falls Resort in the Phillipines.

My egg rolls
Lumpia
Monkey meat on a stick (in Olongapo, Phillipines)
Pork at a Hawaiian Luau
Steamed squid over rice with ink sauce
clam essence (as in a French essence as described by Esoffier)
Asian Tropical Fruit
Fresh coconut, from the trees
Mahi mahi
Really good tempura
Good sushi
velveted meat in stir fries.
I could go on, but there is only so much space.

I really like it if there is no sashimi on my plate, thank you.:LOL:

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

How would I choose my 'favorite' item? Can I just say ' all of them'? (Leaving out fermented bean curd, of course!)

So---- Oyster sauce. There are vegetarian versions and even some with MSG. I get the regular.

Has lots of 'unami'.

(What does umami mean? | Cookthink there is a fifth taste we can perceive with our tongue. Called umami, its taste has been described as rounded, rich and savory.)

I buy just about my ethnic cooking needs in ethnic groceries. I have access to Chinese, Korean, Japanese, Indian, Pakistani and Near Eastern markets. An jaw-dropping selection of foods at reasonable prices.

The smells alone are worth the trip. When my grandson was about 3-4 YO, we went into a Pakistani spice store. The aromas of the spices were very strong. We walked in the door and he started "Mmmmm, smells so good! Smells so good!" The proprietor was all smiles.

You are so right Andy. We have neighborhoods of just about every ethnic group possible. Although I haven't heard of any Inuit ones. And due to Harvard and MIT along with some other smaller schools, Cambridge is loaded to the gills with ethnic neighborhoods. We have students from all over the world come to the Boston/Cambridge schools. Should a student find that there is not a grocery store or restaurant that does not have his native foods, then you can be sure one will spring up. While other cities and towns across America have been formed by immigrants and the food businesses they create, Boston and Cambridge's have been formed by the needs of its International student base. :angel:

-Gochujang (korean chili paste)
-Miso paste (salty soybean paste used for soups, etc.)
-Vermicelli noodles (super cheap at asian grocers - great for pad thai, vietnamese rolls and bowls, etc.)
-Daikon radish (these are MASSIVE, LONG, japanese radishes... they are milder and sweeter than regular garden radishes. Great pickled, made into slaws, put in soups, etc.)
-Misc. "asian" veg (bok choy, gai lan, etc)
-Fish sauce
-Nori (seaweed used for sushi), and other seaweeds (wakame, for soups is good)
-Furikake (a japanese seasoning that provides a ton of umami to rice, noodles, and such)
-Coconut milk (i put this on the list because it is usually SO much cheaper in asian markets than it is at the regular grocery stores)
-Tofu (again, usually much cheaper than the grocery store)
-Dried mushrooms

-Gochujang (korean chili paste)
-Miso paste (salty soybean paste used for soups, etc.)
-Vermicelli noodles (super cheap at asian grocers - great for pad thai, vietnamese rolls and bowls, etc.)
-Daikon radish (these are MASSIVE, LONG, japanese radishes... they are milder and sweeter than regular garden radishes. Great pickled, made into slaws, put in soups, etc.)
-Misc. "asian" veg (bok choy, gai lan, etc)
-Fish sauce
-Nori (seaweed used for sushi), and other seaweeds (wakame, for soups is good)
-Furikake (a japanese seasoning that provides a ton of umami to rice, noodles, and such)
-Coconut milk (i put this on the list because it is usually SO much cheaper in asian markets than it is at the regular grocery stores)
-Tofu (again, usually much cheaper than the grocery store)
-Dried mushrooms

Love it! Thanks, Grumblebee!

Back
Top Bottom