Ask again seriously, how to fry nice rice?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kenny1999

Senior Cook
I have been trying to fry rice for many many years, not every day though. However, the problem is - the fried rice is ALWAYS sticky, I have tried all different start-up ingredients and methods like using hot rice, cooled rice, left-over rice, they are still ALWAYS sticky. I have also tried different kinds of rice like Chinese rice, Japanese rice, Thailand rice, but no matter how long I have fried the product is still STICKY. In Chinese restaurant their fried rice grains are all separate and not a single grain is sticky. I have also watched a number of
tutorials on youtube but nothing works.

I have fried rice for more than 100+ times honestly speaking.

What is the secret????

Are you using long grain rice? That cooks up less sticky to start with. I don't have any experience with white rice. I only use brown rice. I have never had an issue with long grain, brown rice being sticky.

Jasmine rice is a good option. Por 1 cup of rice into a bowl and cover with water. Swish around with a spoon for 20 seconds or so. Strain through a fine mesh sieve. Repeat 2 more times. This will remove some of the starch, and heavy metal contaminants that are sometimes found in rice. The texture will be much improved.

The rice must be pre-cooked. Cook 1 cup rinsed rice to 1 34 cup cold water. Bring to a boil, turn heat to lowest setting, cover, and simmer for 20 minutes. Fluff with fork. Let cool, then refrigerate. It will dry out just a little.

To make the fried rice, place the ingredients into your hot wok/heavy pan, with a couple tbs. cooking oil. These ingredients can include bias sliced carrot, onion strips, snow peas, water chestnuts, scrambled eggs, etc. While the veggies are just starting to soften, add the cold rice, with another tbs. of cooking oil. Season with garlic, soy sauce, and ginger while stirring. To finish, add 1/2 tsp. toasted sesame oil. Serve hot. Your fried rice should be just as you want it.

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

A Chinese friend (who is also a cook) told me that the secret for good fried rice is to cook the rice first, and then let it dry out. And the second secret it to make sure your wok is very hot, and to stir, stir, stir while cooking. Just plain old long grain rice

I cook the rice the day before then spread it out on a baking sheet and stick it in the refrigerator overnight uncovered. I also use rinsed/washed and drained then cooked jasmine rice, 1 part rice to 1.5 parts liquid, more often than not. I've got a really good recipe for fried rice and special fried rice on here somewhere, will see if I can find it.

https://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f21/best-fried-rice-ive-ever-had-95696.html

Last edited:
well all
I finally succeed in making beautiful fried rice!!

NEVER trust those who tell you to fry with freshly cooked rice. It will NEVER work. At least from my experience, you HAVE TO refrigerate it. Just leaving it cool for an hour or two ISN'T enough either.

This time I fried with cooked rice that has been refrigerated for a night. (probably 8-10 hours). It works!!

Not totally every grain got separate but most of them are!

I forgot to take a picture. I will do it again tonight and take pictures tomorrow!

Kenny, I'm glad to read you succeeded with the fried rice.

but amount is also important, a lot of tests is needed. Now my recipe is one cup of rice and three pieces of egg yorks will give perfect fried rice. Two eggs aren't enough.

I seldom plan ahead. If I want fried rice today, I start by rinsing then cooking long grain rice. Then I spread it onto a cookie sheet and put it in the freezer. It freezes quickly. Then you can take it out and let it thaw and proceed with your recipe.

I seldom plan ahead. If I want fried rice today, I start by rinsing then cooking long grain rice. Then I spread it onto a cookie sheet and put it in the freezer. It freezes quickly. Then you can take it out and let it thaw and proceed with your recipe.
The same here. I don't always plan to make fried rice. I make my rice (jasmine and I don't rince it) in the morning and fridge it goes. Stirred often and by evening it's fine to use. Never had a problem.

pork_fried_rice_013113_P1090746.JPG

beautiful and delicious. In fact I failed once again last night, it was because I tried my luck, the rice wasn't refrigerated enough, cooking oil wasn't enough, I just found one more secret - don't crush the rice grains so hard, when rice grains break it becomes more sticky because of starch

Attachments

• rice.jpg
    rice.jpg
    25.6 KB · Views: 54
Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom