Attempting a yellow-and-black chili

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Unfortunately, I can't sleep because the Hungarian sausages are on my mind.

img_1053605_0_b80491a2cbfb72410c61dae10d0bf922.jpg

They're red because they're seasoned with Hungarian paprika... If I'm not careful, they'll turn my yellow sauce red like paprika.

So instead of browning the Hungarian sausages, I'll braise them in the juice from the black beans. It will have a silky texture, like Cincinnati Chili. Sound good?

(I'll make the Polish sausage yellow by adding a dash of turmeric while it browns.)

Last edited:
I didn't do too much cooking tonight. I'm tired, this chili is wearing me out.

I cooked the black beans, aka frijoles negros, as easy as possible.

img_1053745_0_0363a6871940a1e5ddefcfd7a1e5e2c1.jpg

Easy black beans recipe:

.5 pounds black beans
1 can chicken stock
1.5 cans water
4 cloves garlic, peeled and whole
1 bay leaf
.5 tsp of the following:
* Onion powder
* Celery salt
* Ground cumin
1 tsp dark molasses

Sort and wash the beans. Put them in a medium pot. Add several inches of water. Cover and refrigerate overnight.

Drain the beans, then return them to the pot. Add chicken stock, water, garlic, bay leaf and spices. Bring to a boil. Simmer uncovered, stirring occasionally. If the liquid runs low, add a bit more water. Don't let them stick.

When the beans are al dente, probably 60 - 90 minutes, remove from heat. (Remember, the beans will cook slightly in the crock pot before the contest.)

Stir in the molasses. Taste and adjust seasonings. I added 1/4 tsp of salt.

Allow to cool slightly, then remove the bay leaf and garlic.

...Refrigerate until tomorrow. We're almost done, folks.

Don't forget to drain and wash those beans, so that they don't muddy that remarkably yellow coloring in you chili. You want the beans to contrast against the yellow ingredients. And the masa harina is pale yellow in color, and so will work well as a thickener. But just add enough to thicken, about 1/4 cup per gallon of chili. Good luck, though I don't think you will need any luck at all. I'm excited for you.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

I am so intrigued by your chili that I am definitely going to have to make a batch for our anual chili cookoff. But O won't steal your idea or recipe. I'm going to puree some bright red chili and cayene peppers from my garden, and make it a bit more orange, and spicy. I'm going to call it "Yellowjacket Chili. I'm just not sure where I'll find yellow peppers. Our cookoff will be in the middle of November. I'm going to represent the local chapter of Boy Scouts.

Thank you for the creative ideas.:)

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

It's done, and I have plenty of pictures. Unfortunately, my phone isn't sending them to me and it's bedtime.

Details, pictures and contest results tomorrow.

I won't post spoilers, other than to say:

It's yellow, it's black and it's spectacular. And yes, there's a twist.

It's done, and I have plenty of pictures. Unfortunately, my phone isn't sending them to me and it's bedtime.

Details, pictures and contest results tomorrow.

I won't post spoilers, other than to say:

It's yellow, it's black and it's spectacular. And yes, there's a twist.

Ok, it's been longer than two weeks. We need an update. How'd the cook-off go? Did you have fun? Inquiring cooks want to know. And where are the pics you promised?

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom