Aug 9th, dinner creations for this evening?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LEFSElover

Executive Chef
last nights dinner went so well. I was very pleased as was the husband.
Yesterday was a market day for me and I got my freezer all stocked up again. it had been deflated.

my dinner tonight will be ug, I am not real sure I want to even say this as it's a first for me, but, shark. I bought two sharks steaks yesterday and the butcher assured me I'd love it. he did a marinating rub over them and I am going to bake them enpapiote. okay, I can't spell so "in pillows". I have parchment paper as well as very heavy duty foil and I plan on using the parchment. I have fresh vegetables and a variety of sauces so if anyone can help me figure out the flavors to use, I'd appreciate it. like I say, never ever had shark. I'm not typically into eating something that would rather eat me.:blush:

a friend gave me a recipe broccoli salad that I'll make along with a rice and barley risotto w/ fresh/frozen peas, red wine reduction and 3 cheese shaker jar of parm/asiago/romano. I have to continue making the rest of the cookies for this weekend's bash in San Jose, and then get them FED EX'd up there.

Hope your day is wonderful and enjoy your Wednesday.

I wanted to make Tortellini a la panna, but Frank won't be here before 8pm and I have an appointment at 7pm... so the kitchen will stay cold, I'll search for something and Tortellini will be there for tomorrow...

We are going to a friends for dinner and we'll have a feast.
He's Persain and his dad will be cooking dinner for us. Let me tell ya.. his dad can cook!! I'm not sure of the whole menu but I do know we will be having a lamb and rice dish and also a chicken and eggplant dish. Paul and I are so excited.

I'll be bringing the vanilla bean ice cream that I made yesterday and also some of Paula Dean's Lemon blossom cupcakes.

Dinner and dessert will be followed by cups of Persain tea. Yummy!

I'm in the mood for a stew so I threw together a beef stew and its slow cooking now in the crockpot. I just raided the freezer, pantry and spice cabinet and put in what sounded good. I'll let it cook for sometime and then thicken the gravy towards the end. I'm going to serve it along with some cheddar - garlic drop biscuits.

OMGWeNeedToEmptyOutTheFridge Chili tonight... following the OMGWeNeedToEmptyOutTheFridge Sugo with fusilli yesterday evening...

We are in preparation for the departure to the Italian Alps this coming Friday for 9days...:)

Jalapeno Burgers

It is so good to be home again!! What I missed the most while I was gone was being able to cook. With all the eating out I did I don't think I will be visiting any restaurants anytime soon.

Tonight for dinner I am grilling hamburgers. I think I will make Jalapeno Burgers topped with Monterey Jack cheese. Right now I have red potatoes boiling to make potato salad. With the salad I am going to have baked beans.

Constance said:
LEFSE, I think shark tastes quite a bit like scallops. If I were you, I'd pan-sear it.
The shark steaks I have had were very similar to swordfish. Nothing like a scallop!

Lefse, the sauce you choose will probably have something to do with the flavors in the rub that's on your fish. Do you know what your fish man used?

Last night was GB's incredible polenta. It's supposed to be 100 today, so I I think it will be something cool and easy; perhaps grilled burgers.

I am marinating some pork chops in a cilantro/ginger marinade right now and I'm going to grill those with some asparagas and I might make a yellow squash casserole. My hubby does not like squash so I'll have to tell him its something else..... its cheesy, I think he'll eat it.

Oh, and we have blackberry pie for dessert. I made one last night - and its to die for. Its just NOT summer without at least once blackberry pie.

we are having cold roast beef sammies with sprouts,lettuce, red onion, tomato, thin avocado slices, and swiss cheese on some soft french rolls mine is going to have mayo and cranberry mustard, DH wants mayo and brown mustard and most of the older kids have asked for horseradish and some mayo and blue cheese crumbles. I have potato salad and a fruit salad, chips for the little guys.. A pitcher of lemonade and a pitcher of mango ice tea, beer and coffee. This morning I dug out the banana split glasses and those are done and in the freezer frozen banana splits all round:LOL:

kadesma

ChefJune said:
The shark steaks I have had were very similar to swordfish. Nothing like a scallop!

June, it just depends on how thick it's sliced and how it's prepared.
Some less than scrupulous restauranteurs actually substitute chunked shark for scallops.

We're having re-runs for the rest of the week. Tonight, it's leftover pizza. Tomorrow, it'll be grilled bratwurst that Kim cooked along with the steaks last night, and Friday I'll make a Philly Cheesesteak Calzone with thinly sliced leftover steak, chopped brats, caramelized onions and peppers, and a couple kinds of cheese.

Last edited:
Constance said:
LEFSE, I think shark tastes quite a bit like scallops. If I were you, I'd pan-sear it.
thanks Constance, I will do just as you said as I trust you. You've helped me out a bunch of times............hugs.......Susie

ChefJune said:
ChefJune said:

Lefse, the sauce you choose will probably have something to do with the flavors in the rub that's on your fish. Do you know what your fish man used?

I don't! He said, "I have a marinade if you'd like me to apply it." I said, "do it." so I have no clue but thought it'd be wet instead it's a dry rub. I should smell it huh? I am glad of what you said about swordfish cause me myself, I do not like scallops.

Some less than scrupulous restauranteurs actually substitute chunked shark for scallops
WOW! Constance, I've never heard that one before. I know some restaurants and fish markets too sometimes punch out sicrles of skate wing and call them scallops..... In fact, if all the scallops are exactly the same size, that's probably what it is.... :ermm: :rolleyes:

I always thought shark was more expensive than scallops, so I'm not sure why it would be subbed for scallops. I'll have to watch out for that because I do buy scallops now and then at my fish market.

Anyway, we had meatloaf tonight, with mashed potatoes, gravy. So meatloaf sandwiches tomorrow for lunch!

well, tonight I opened the freezer and pulled out just about the last dinner I put there last winter/spring...chicken stew...it was great...man do I love root veggies...potatoes carrots onions parsnip turnip all cooked with the chicken, stock, wine herbs and barley.

We called the pizza place and got a pepperoni deep dish with cheesy bread.

Real healthy, huh?

John

Back
Top Bottom