Authentic Mexican?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cooking4Fun

Senior Cook
I got carry out from Mexican restaurant. I ordered a chicken fajita. They gave me basically the chicken veggie mix and 3 taco torts. Was definitely not enough torts to hold all the ingredients. Do most Mexican restaurants expect us to assemble the items ourselves? I have to go to store now to buy burrito torts to finish the chicken mix off.

First, fajita is a Tex/Mex dish created in the American southwest, not Mexico. It is made from strips of grilled meat with cooked bell peppers (green, orange, yellow, red, or a combination), and onions, and can be piled into either a soft corn, or flour tortilla. Originally, it was made with skirt steak, but now includes chicken, turkey, even fish. Unlike tacos, and burritos, the fillings are placed on top of the tortilla, or to the side, It is not assembled. You get to do that, and put any condiments you want onto it, such as pepper sauce, guacamole, shredded cheese, etc.

I rarely order fajitas. Instead, I opt for tacos in a lightly fried soft corn tortilla, with either shredded beef, or carne asada. I like having refried beans on the side, with diced tomato, diced cucumber, shredded lettuce, and grated cheese, all dressed with Tabasco, Sriracha, and sour cream.

If I'm in the mood for a flour tortilla, I get either a wet burrito, an enchilada, or burrito supreme, again with carne asada, cilantro, refried beans, shredded cheese, guacamole, and spicy sauce. I don't want rice in my burrito.

If I'm yearning for a strong masa flavor, the i order tamales.

To me, fajitas are both boring, and messy to eat. Just MHO.

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

I got carry out from Mexican restaurant. I ordered a chicken fajita. They gave me basically the chicken veggie mix and 3 taco torts. Was definitely not enough torts to hold all the ingredients. Do most Mexican restaurants expect us to assemble the items ourselves? I have to go to store now to buy burrito torts to finish the chicken mix off.

In my experience, yes. If you eat in, you are usually served a sizzling platter of the meat and veggie mix with a warmer on the side with several tortillas in it and whatever else for toppings. You are then expected to assemble them on your plate.

When you order, either eat-in or take-out, you can always ask for extra tortillas.

In my experience, yes. If you eat in, you are usually served a sizzling platter of the meat and veggie mix with a warmer on the side with several tortillas in it and whatever else for toppings. You are then expected to assemble them on your plate.

When you order, either eat-in or take-out, you can always ask for extra tortillas.

I have only had them once. This was my experience too. They were pretty good and kinda fun, since you could assemble them as you wanted. Wouldn't go out of my way to get them though, unless someone was raving about how wonderful they were somewhere specific.

Different take on similar situation.
Went to a restaurant a few weeks back where they served a Brussel Taco Board.
Served on a serving tray with all the elements of the taco. Self assembled.

Brussel tacos romaine lettuce cups, feta, tomato, bruschetta, roasted veggies & creamy vegan ranch

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-04-27 at 5.47.17 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2022-04-27 at 5.47.17 AM.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 24
Fajitas and Carnitas Tacos are most often served as a DIY taco. I think that it works since the meats tend to be rather moist and the tortillas might tend to fall apart if not eaten quick enough.

Like others have said, fajitas are very much not an authentic Mexican dish.

They are served de-constructed in a restaurant. They bring the meat, veggies and tortillas to your table separately and the guest assembles their meal.

Did you think the restaurant was going to do that for you for take-out?

[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]I have relatives that [/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]l[/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]i[/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]v[/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]e almost on the Mexican border (Brownsville, Mission, [/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]& [/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman, serif] McAllen, TX). My cousin took me for lunch at the top fajita restaurant in the rejoin (our table looked at Mexico across the Rio Grande). Her mother later made equally good fajitas at home: [/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]heavily [/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]sprinkle meat with Season-All & grill.[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]
[/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Important note: fajitas is meat only. All the other crap is a side dish. [/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif][/FONT]

Last edited:
First, fajita is a Tex/Mex dish created in the American southwest, not Mexico. It is made from strips of grilled meat with cooked bell peppers (green, orange, yellow, red, or a combination), and onions, and can be piled into either a soft corn, or flour tortilla. Originally, it was made with skirt steak, but now includes chicken, turkey, even fish. Unlike tacos, and burritos, the fillings are placed on top of the tortilla, or to the side, It is not assembled. You get to do that, and put any condiments you want onto it, such as pepper sauce, guacamole, shredded cheese, etc.

I rarely order fajitas. Instead, I opt for tacos in a lightly fried soft corn tortilla, with either shredded beef, or carne asada. I like having refried beans on the side, with diced tomato, diced cucumber, shredded lettuce, and grated cheese, all dressed with Tabasco, Sriracha, and sour cream.

If I'm in the mood for a flour tortilla, I get either a wet burrito, an enchilada, or burrito supreme, again with carne asada, cilantro, refried beans, shredded cheese, guacamole, and spicy sauce. I don't want rice in my burrito.

If I'm yearning for a strong masa flavor, the i order tamales.

To me, fajitas are both boring, and messy to eat. Just MHO.

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Yeah, Texas just can't read a room. Lol.

anyone who is from a place that has a 'home ground' specialty will _always_ have issues when that dish is transplanted.

hoagies, steak sandwich, cheese steak, pizza, biscuit&gravy, ribs . . . you name it - doesn't matter.

I grew up around Philadelphia - with the 'cheese steak thing' - was in Indiana when I saw "Philadelphia Cheese Steak" on the menu.
it was a small 1/2 inch thick breakfast steak, with a slice of cheese, on an untoasted hamburger bun.
no, not even close . . .

Back
Top Bottom