Autumn Food Ideas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Since she is busy, I will give it to you. Pumpkin pancakes. I have to admit that I gag a little thinking about that. I can't STAND pumpkin anything. Now zucchini is a different story...

I know I'd be the only person eating them in my house, corazon, but that would be fine by me! :)

Here's another great fall-ish pancake recipe that doesn't include pumpkin!

Gingerbread Pancakes
In addition to their spiced flavor, these pancakes have a distinctive cakelike texture.

Active time: 30 min Start to finish: 45 min

3 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup packed dark brown sugar
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground ginger
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
1/2 cup water
1/2 cup brewed coffee, cold or at room temperature
4 large eggs
1 stick (1/2 cup) unsalted butter, melted and cooled
1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
Vegetable oil for brushing griddle

Accompaniment: pure maple syrup (although I like the thought of them with some apples or pears cooked down in butter, brown sugar and cinnamon).

Whisk together flour, brown sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and spices in a bowl. Whisk together water, coffee, eggs, butter, and lemon juice in a large bowl. Add flour mixture and whisk until just combined. Let stand 15 minutes (batter will thicken).

Brush a griddle or 12-inch nonstick skillet with oil and heat over moderate heat until hot but not smoking. Working in batches of 3 or 4, pour 1/4 cup batter per pancake onto hot griddle and cook until bubbles appear on surface and undersides are lightly browned, 1 to 2 minutes. Flip pancakes with a spatula and cook until cooked through and edges are lightly browned, 1 to 2 minutes more. Transfer to a platter and loosely cover with foil to keep warm. Brush griddle with oil between batches.

Makes about 18 pancakes.

Did someone say sausage and sauerkraut yet? I, too, like good soups - none canned - also beef stew, chicken and dumplings, gingerbread (especially good with peaches alongside). I really like sweet potatoes in the fall, no matter how they are prepared - pumpkin pie, cake, muffins, whatever. I suppose I really like most everything except raw oysters and oatmeal.

Casseroles, because 45 minutes in oven in the summer is just too hot!! One of my favorite casseroles is potatoes thinly sliced and layered in a buttered dish with alternating layers of cooked ground sausage, sliced onions and cheddar cheese. Here is how I layer mine

Potatoes, sliced thin
Sausage
Onions
Cheese
Potatoes
Sausage
onions
Cheese

I season the potatoes with black pepper and onion powder. On top of the layers of onion I put several pats of butter. I put mine in a 9x9-inch pan. 350 degrees F. for 40-45 minutes.

i'm another that likes soups, especially carrot soup. that's one of my favorites.

Back
Top Bottom