Back from a break

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tsi88kid

Senior Cook
hey everyone, I haven't been on here for a long time and I''m hoping to get back into it. But I have started working at a new restaurant called Eastern Standard and I have been learning a lot. Here is a sample menu that I wrote for a project in school which I think is a million times better then the last menu I posted on here. I actually looked at the last menu I posted on here and I was really embarrassed haha.

Appetizers

Seared Foie Gras with grand manier french toast
and maderia reduction - 15

Baked Polenta cakes , bolognese, white truffle oil - 10

Soup De Jour – 8

Crispy Duck Confit with frisse salad, candied walnuts,
sour cherries and champagne vinaigrette – 13

Entree

Pan roasted Bell and Evans Chicken breast with smoked carrot
gnocchi, lardons, sauted sweet breads and Chicken demi – 22

“Chateaubriand” au poivre with chicory, apple hash,
and peppered brandy sauce – 60

Sauted Dover Sole with Pumpkin risotto and sherry buerre blanc – 38

Grilled Niman Ranch Pork tenderloin with Yukon Potato
and parsnip gratin, quince , Sauce Robert - 28

Desserts
Trio of crème brulee, chocolate, espresso, vanilla – 10

Black Forest Gateua with crème fraiche and cherries - 12

Pear Gallette with butter pecan ice cream and
brandied crème anglaise – 12

Banana walnut terrine with praline chips and rum caramel - 10

I would order the Polenta, the Steak and the Creme Brulee

For whatever reason the Polenta Cakes Bolognese were the thing that really interested me... do you have a recipe?

If given the chance I will ALWAYS order the steak and the brulee so thats a no brainer no matter what else is on the menu

separator.gif
Sure here is the recipe

Bolognese
- 1/4 lb pancetta small diced
- 1/2 lb each ground pork,beef,and veal
- 1 qt veal stock
- 1 pt chicken stock
-1 pt red wine ( i use merlot)
- 1 1/2 qts whole milk
- 1 cup each bruniosed carrots and onion
- 3 bay leaves

Polenta
5 cups polenta
6 cups water
3 cups whole milk
butter and salt to taste

Render the pancetta and then cook the carrots and onions in the pancetta fat. At the same time brown the ground meat in a seperate pot and once browned, deglazed with the veal and chicken stock. Once the carrots and onions become semi soft deglazed with the red wine and add to the browned meat. Add the bay leaves and reduce by half. Once reduced by half add the milk and reduce down until its becomes thick and there is not much liquid left.

For Polenta start by bringing all of the liquid to a boil in a heavy bottomed pot. Once at a boil, add the polenta and whisk constantly for about 8 minutes of until it begins to thicken. Once the polenta has thickened, turn down the heat to low and let it continue to cook for about 15 minutes, stirring every few minutes. At the end add salt and butter to taste. Let the polenta cakes set up in a pan of your choice in the fridge. Once it is set up you can then use ring molds or cut them however you would like. I would sear them off to give them a nice golden crust and then top with your newly made bolognese.

However, this is a pretty large batch that a restaurant may use for one days worth of service. So if you were doing it at home you may want to scale back the recipe or be prepared for left overs. Either way, enjoy!

Thank you... That looks really good. I love Polenta and Bolognese.... I wish I could justify cooking now because I really want to make this.. seems perfect for cold weather.

Thanks for the tip off on quantity too :) That IS a lot of polenta! It would be easy enough to make the big batch of the Bolognese (I think sauce comes better in a big batch sometimes) ... save some of it and cut back on the polenta though so that works fine.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom