Back from Burning Man!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

redkitty

Executive Chef
Hey kids!!

Well my 5th year on the playa was absolutely life changing. 6 days spent in the heat with 2 nasty dust storms but still had an amazing time! It's so hard returning to regular scheduled life!

I took loads of pictures of the most amazing art, will post them online soon for anyone interested.

I won't be posting as often now that my business is up and running but will pop in when I can to say hi. Hope all of you wonderful DCers are doing great!! :cool:

I can't wait to see the pics. I have not been to burning man, but have been to many music fests where you really feel like you are in another world. I know what you mean about it being hard to come back to reality. Welcome home!

Have wanted to go for many years... can't wait to see the photo and hear more about it!!!

I haven't had time to tag any of them yet but here they are. My large group of friends have been putting on a theme camp for 7 years and this was our last year. It was so fun but also emotional. I will start tagging photos this weekend and putting captions in. I hope you enjoy! I'm still sad its over and trying to get back to reality.

Burning Man 2008 - a set on Flickr

I've heard about this for years--kind of like Sturgis, although it appears from the photos it's the guys that wear skimpy thongs.

My take is that this is a music fest, although the odd custom vehicles kind of throw me.

Can you explain a touch of the background here? When I do a wikki search on anything, I get a bland explanation.

Okay, I read it. I must admit my mind blurred a bit after you wrote "nothing like Sturgis."

I would add this. As you know, Madison is now the capital of the "graying, long-in-the-tooth, older hippie-dippy, sagging communist, holistic healing, we-are-the-world" counter culture's existence.

In fact, our Williamson Street celebrations are kind of a similar event, except we don't burn anything but bratwurst.

It appears that BM is a fest that just grew. It even looks like a "child friendly" wire enclosure now envelopes the fire.

I was just interested in the history. For example, "Sturis" as you know it, started with six bikers burying a giant dead grasshopper.

Stuff like that interests me. Here's a tid-bit. The metal struts that hang down from the back of a semi's trailor are nicknamed "Mansfield bars." It keeps automobiles from sliding under the trailor in a crash and beheading the car driver. While Jane Mansfield was not decapitated, the concept stuck.

:) Tonight in Santa Fe, NM they are having something like that that they have done for 84 years. They also burn a large man figure it's called Zozobra and it's the burning of old man gloom. It signifies burning up all bad things that have happened in the past year with hopes of a fresh start. I'm guessing thats where burning man may beem inpired.

The Burning of Zozobra - Official Site

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom