Bacon clanger a disaster.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I researched a recipe that looks like something I'd like to try and also gives a recipe for Oxford Sauce. This recipe calls for ham bits and onions as well as bacon.

I'll experiment this weekend and hopefully will have some pictures.

Don't worry chaps. You aren't on your own. I'm English and had to look it up! It's a regional thing. The Bedfordshire clanger has savoury in one end and sweet in the other, in common with other types of "snap" . ("Snap" being a regional nickname for a workman's packed lunch).

Thank you. Once again we all learn something new. A new name for what we all pretty well know as a Pastie. Just a different way of making it.

Please Mad Cook, don't ever leave us. England has so many foods that we Americans are so not aware or familiar with. We need you to translate, even though we supposedly speak the same language.

Rick Steves vist to Cornwall features a pastie and wanted to try making one. I'd add some fried potatoes and scrambled eggs but that may be to much. I dunno?

I don't believe a pasty has savory on one side and sweet on the other.

I have no idea on how they are made. All I know is that they are what the miners took down to the mines and they had a large crust to hold them so that the coal dust wouldn't get into their food.

I once watch a food show that was from England. I lost interest and changed the channel. The man was making Pasties. Something I knew I would never make. None of my family has ever been a worker in the mines. But Poo's family on his father's side has been. Poo's great grandfather on his father's side owned a coal mine in KY.

Last edited:
I have no idea on how they are made. All I know is that they are what the miners took down to the mines and they had a large crust to hold them so that the coal dust wouldn't get into their food.

So where did you get this from?

Thank you. Once again we all learn something new. A new name for what we all pretty well know as a Pastie. Just a different way of making it.

Actually it was the tin miners, and if I recall, arsenic was involved in the process and that's why they only ate to the crust. The crust was then thrown down the shaft to the Tommyknockers.

I read a piece that did say there was a sweet and a savory side but it wouldn't let me cut and paste that.

I once watch a food show that was from England. I lost interest and changed the channel. The man was making Pasties. Something I knew I would never make. None of my family has ever been a worker in the mines. But Poo's family on his father's side has been. Poo's great grandfather on his father's side owned a coal mine in KY.

Pasties are actually pretty darn good. They would certainly hit the spot on lunch break working a physically hard job. Not terribly hard to make, either. I cheated, and used store bought pastry dough.

CD

So where did you get this from?

A quick Google search led me to the same thing. The bacon clanger was a hand-held meal for working men back in the day. Not just miners, but farmers, too. Similar to a pastie, but not the same. Both served the same purpose -- hearty food you could eat with your hands.

CD

Looks like we lost BML. Too bad, since I like having people from all over the world on the forum. It adds to the knowledge base.

CD

Here is a recipe I posted for pasties, if anyone is interested...
http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f21/cornish-pasties-ala-steve-78441.html

I converted the official Cornish Pasty recipe to American measurements. It's about as authentic recipe as you can get. And, believe it or not, there is an official Cornish Pasty Association that has PGI (protected geographical indication) status in the EU. Who knows what will happen with that after Brexit is complete. :LOL:

Whoever mentioned the savory in one end and sweet in the other... that's absolutely correct. It was designed to be an all-in-one meal. Lead miners' wives would also use some of the dough to put their husband's initials on the pastry, so they would be able to identify their lunches.

Here is a recipe I posted for pasties, if anyone is interested...
http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f21/cornish-pasties-ala-steve-78441.html

I converted the official Cornish Pasty recipe to American measurements. It's about as authentic recipe as you can get. And, believe it or not, there is an official Cornish Pasty Association that has PGI (protected geographical indication) status in the EU. Who knows what will happen with that after Brexit is complete. [emoji38]

Whoever mentioned the savory in one end and sweet in the other... that's absolutely correct. It was designed to be an all-in-one meal. Lead miners' wives would also use some of the dough to put their husband's initials on the pastry, so they would be able to identify their lunches.
According to the website you posted, the official recipe for Cornish pasty does not have a sweet side. I did find this on Wikipedia: "A part-savoury, part-sweet pasty (similar to the*Bedfordshire clanger) was eaten by miners in the 19th century, in the copper mines on*Parys Mountain,*Anglesey. The technician who did the research and discovered the recipe claimed that the recipe was probably taken to Anglesey by Cornish miners travelling to the area looking for work.*No two-course pasties are commercially produced in Cornwall today, but are usually the product of amateur cooks."

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pasty

According to the website you posted, the official recipe for Cornish pasty does not have a sweet side. I did find this on Wikipedia: "A part-savoury, part-sweet pasty (similar to the*Bedfordshire clanger) was eaten by miners in the 19th century, in the copper mines on*Parys Mountain,*Anglesey. The technician who did the research and discovered the recipe claimed that the recipe was probably taken to Anglesey by Cornish miners travelling to the area looking for work.*No two-course pasties are commercially produced in Cornwall today, but are usually the product of amateur cooks."

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pasty

Yep. Just like everything else, it's a food that's evolved over the years.

I know my pasties. We had them a lot when I was kid. I grew up in southwestern Wisconsin about 30 miles from a town called Lead Mine (near Mineral Point) that was settled in the early 1800s by Cornish miners. And if you want the best pasty outside of Cornwall, this is the place to go:
https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUse...Red_Rooster_Cafe-Mineral_Point_Wisconsin.html

Here are several variations on Pasties, that include some savory-to-sweet varieties:
The Cornish Pasty: Cornish tin miner's pasty

A good historical article about the area:
http://www.wisconsinhistory.org/turningpoints/tp-026/?action=more_essay

Last edited:
Pasties are actually pretty darn good. They would certainly hit the spot on lunch break working a physically hard job. Not terribly hard to make, either. I cheated, and used store bought pastry dough.

CD

I agree. Years ago the food truck that came to the shop where I worked had pasties a couple of times a week, and I often bought them. They had beef and potatoes with enough gravy to make them moist, but not runny. A good one hand meal.

A place in Butte, Montana makes pasties with the "handle" for the fire crews, but leaves it off for retail sale.

Co-incidentally I came across a comment in a cookery book the other day. It said that the name "Clanger" came about because miners' wives deliberately made the pastry hard so that it would withstand them throwing it down the pit shaft to their husbands at "snap" time. (I'm not entirely sure I believe that!)

Back
Top Bottom