Bakechef's Yellow Vanilla Cake

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bakechef

Executive Chef
This cake is my recipe using the reverse creaming method. The cake will be moist and fluffy at the same time. It will have the flavor of a scratch vanilla cake, if you want to mess around with flavorings, butter flavor, lemon extract and almond all work well in addition to the vanilla. Butter nut flavoring will give you the familiar flavor of yellow cake a couple teaspoons should do the trick. They also contain some yellow color. McCormick makes vanilla butter nut and Watkins makes a butter nut.

2 cups (14oz.) white granulated sugar
2 1/2 cups (12.5 oz.) all purpose flour
3 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup (8 oz.) softened, unsalted butter
1 cup (8 oz.) milk
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
4 eggs

Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Prepare 2-8" or 9" round pans, or one 9x13 pan with grease and flour. I also recommend lining the bottom with parchment. 8 inch pans need to be at least 2" tall, if not, either use 3 pans or go with 9" pans.

In the bowl of a mixer, combine sugar, flour, salt and baking powder, mix well to blend. With mixer running, add softened butter a couple tablespoons at a time until all is Incorporated. At this point, depending on the softness of your butter, you'll either have a mixture that looks like streusel or if your butter is very soft, it may be more of a paste, either way is fine.
SG1L0113.JPG

SG1L0114.JPG

In a separate bowl, combine milk, vanilla and eggs, beat well to combine.

With the mixer running, add approx 2/3's of the milk mixture to the flour/sugar/butter mixture.
SG1L0116.JPG

Mix on medium speed for about 2 minutes. The mixture should look very fluffy.
SG1L0117.JPG

Scrape down bowl if needed. Add remaining milk mixture and mix for one minute or until well combined. The mixture might look curdled at this point, but don't worry, it's supposed to.
SG1L0118.JPG

Pour into prepared pans and bake 30-35 minutes or until cake springs back when touched, and when toothpick inserted near the center comes out with just a few small crumbs attached.

Allow to cool 10-15 minutes before removing from pan. Allow to cool completely before frosting.

To soften crispy edges, wrap cake layers in plastic wrap while still slightly warm until ready to use.
SG1L0127.JPG

Last edited:
BC, I have to try this to be certain, but you may have just given me my go-to yellow cake recipe. Just from reading this, everything looks just right to make a delicious cake with great texture and flavor. Thanks.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Bakechef,

You've gone and done it now.I'm going to attempt to make your cake.
Yellow is my favorite.I didn't know about the saran wrap.The things you learn around here.I like how you posted the steps out,explaining as you went to the point of not making some of us (me) feel intimidated because we lack professional baking skills.

Thank you.:chef:

Back
Top Bottom