Baked Veggie Egg Rolls

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

larry_stewart

Master Chef
Below is a link of a recipe for baked vegetable egg rolls that I have been making for years.

Along with the Recipe Link, I also included notes of the changes I've made over the years along with a few tips.

The change are for my personal taste along with what I have on hand. Im not opposed to the original recipe, but as we all do, I've tweaked the recipe to accommodate my tastes.

I also chose baked over something that is deep fried to for health purposes. Deep fried almost always makes everything taste better, but this is a good alternative.

https://fortheloveofcooking.net/2009/04/baked-vegetable-egg-rolls.html

Notes, Tweaks and Tips
1 - I usually use cabbage (doesnt have to be savoy , bu could be), carrots, shiitake mushrooms and water chestnuts.
- Cabbage shredded as if I were making sauerkraut
- Carrots grated (medium grate, moisture squeezed out)
- Shittake thinly sliced
- Water chestnuts, a fine dice.
**On occasion Ill add the bean sprouts, but I dont feel they add too much**
**Same with green onions, sometimes I add, some times I dont**

2 - I don't add ginger, corn starch or soy sauce. I've personally found the simpler, the better.

3 - As it says in the directions on he website, jus fry up till veggies start to wilt a little bit, Still some crispness, not mushy.

4 - Fold as hey suggest, keeping them more blintz shaped than egg rolled shape. When you bake them, you flip them 1/2 way, and you'll get more surface area to be crispy if it has sizes rather than tube shaped .

5 - Spray or lightly brush pan and tops of rolls with oil. before baking. I also give a quick spray after flipping.

6 - Pay attention to time, was all ovens vary. I think I do 10 minutes, flip, then another 8. After flipping, I turn the baking sheet 180 degrees then put it back, as the back of my oven heats up a little more than he side by the door. everyone knows their own oven, so just be mindful of time and cooking evenness. Only once have I burned them. ( The ones in the pic probably would have burned if I gave them one more minute).

7 - These are the type of things that a need to go in the oven after constructing them as the egg roll sheets will get soggy if wait too long.

***They actually freeze and reheat well. Im actually going to try and reheat in the air fryer and see how that goes. usually I just reheat by baking, which works well too***

Below is a pic of the brand wrappers that I have used with success. I ve had other brands just fall apart.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-12-26 at 4.12.59 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-12-26 at 4.12.59 PM.png
    265.6 KB · Views: 108
  • Screen Shot 2021-12-26 at 9.16.19 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2021-12-26 at 9.16.19 AM.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 34

blissful

Executive Chef
Those look inspirational. I've done some like this before and we do also like them baked. It's been a while since I made them so I'll put them on my to-do list for a dinner for us. Thanks for the pictures (I use that same brand), to bring it all back to mind again.

blissful

Executive Chef
This woman's website has a type of veggie sausage we make occasionally, the spices are just right for us.

This is a spring roll, but similar. She uses rice paper to wrap but I could use either rice paper or egg roll wrappers. I thought you might like to see the filling part of the recipe. It's not exceptional, it's pretty average but I'm sure I'd like it.

https://www.nutmegnotebook.com/plan...g-rolls-vegan-gluten-free-oil-free-air-fried/

She uses an air fryer, I bake in the oven on parchment.

larry_stewart

Master Chef
I like the idea of using the rice paper. Never tried it like that , therefore, Im going to give it a try. Thanks for the suggestion.

When you bake in the oven, do you use the same temp and time ?

I have an air fryer, but it has a limited space, it would take for ever to complete all of them.

blissful

Executive Chef
I bake in the oven almost everything at 350 deg F, almost always with parchment. I don't know how long they might take, it's been a while since I did it.

(I've tried rice paper wrapped things, without oil, on stainless steel, and cast iron (well seasoned), and I get sticking with either no matter how I do it.)

Top Bottom