Baking vs Sauteeing (Which one is Healthier?)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Learning2Cook45

Assistant Cook
Is it true that it's healther to bake in general vs Sauteeing/cooking on a skillet? For example, is baked chicken breast healthier than sauteed chicken breast?

Is it true that it's healther to bake in general vs Sauteeing/cooking on a skillet? For example, is baked chicken breast healthier than sauteed chicken breast?

Depends on what your health and diet requirements are. What are you trying to achieve? Do you have special diet instructions from your doctor or nutritionist?

If you use oil etc to to sauté I think I use more than in roasting.

To sauté meat I use oil to roast it I don’t so I’d say that’s better.

For roast potatoes and veggies I put them in a ziplock with herbs and spices then I add just a bit of oil zip and shake again less than sauté.

With my stock of roasts I put in a dish in the fridge to separate and solidify then I remove the solid fat.

If you put anything on a raised rack oil, etc drips off so that’s better yet.

Often I sauté then dump onto a paper towel to soak off the oil or grease.

Imo roasting is the better way especially if you use enough oil that you’re deep frying the food.

I don’t cook with salt, butter and minimal oil. Other things to consider if you’re using coconut oil or something wild like that that changes the whole scenario. But for me I need oil to not stick or burn meat I fry when I roast I lightly spray the dish and add broth, etc it’s better for you. Imo

Also to tenderize and add liquid a can of tomatoes changes the game. If you have an easy to clean good casserole dish it’s a game changer.

Do you have specific ideas or foods to narrow it down?

Attachments

• ADB4002D-ED39-4469-A505-BDC9B7C58934.jpg
    ADB4002D-ED39-4469-A505-BDC9B7C58934.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 176
  • BF6FAE1C-C8C9-415F-AD6C-3A80753D909B.jpg
    BF6FAE1C-C8C9-415F-AD6C-3A80753D909B.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 91
In general, baking should be healthier, if you don't use any added fats.

Sautéing in a non-stick pan using a minimal amount of oil/butter/fat can be healthy, too.

CD

there's nothing unhealthy about fats, except the over-doing-over-eating it part.
fats have plus/minus near equal calories.
but animal fats tend to the saturated fat side whereas vegetable fats tend to be less saturated and have more mono/poly saturated fats.

the issue of "healthy" enters the picture when there is a medical need to control your diet. although some people have such a lousy diet, if the medical need is not 'today' it can shortly become a problem.

consuming a dry roasted skin on, eat the skin&fat chicken, you'll get way more fat than sauted in olive/vegetable oil skinless chicken breast.

Back
Top Bottom