Banana cream pie

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ParrotheadLizzy

Assistant Cook
I'd like to make a banana cream pie for a dinner party next weekend, and I'm looking for a tried and true recipe, since I've never made this before (I would prefer to not use a recipe using instant pudding).

Thanks in advance!
Liz

I love Banana Creme Pie and especially the one that is made by Bakers Square ( a popular chain in Chicago). After getting tired of paying through my nose for these pies I decided to give it a shot and it came out great using this recipe.

1 tin Birds custard powder (it's available in all grocery stores in the baking isle and it's nothing but cornstarch with a custard essence in it)
Mix 4 tbsp of custard powder with 1/2 cup of cold milk, ensure that the powder is completely dissolved in the milk and the mixture is smooth not lumpy
1 can sweetened condensed milk
3 cups of whole milk
1.5 tsp vanilla extract
pinch of salt
2 bananas
1 cup heavy cream (whipped with a little sugar)
1 pie crust (you will need to blind bake this - In order to blind bake, place another pie plate on the pie crust and bake for about 30-35 minutes in a 350 oven)
Toasted sliced almonds to garnish

In a saucepan add the milk, condensed milk and mixture of custard powder dissolved and bring it to a boil while constantly stirring it to avoid any lumps. Continue to cook this mixture until it's a nice thick consistency (almost pudding like). Stir in the salt and vanilla extract and allow it to cool completely. Chill for several hours or overnight

Whip the heavy cream and keep it chilled as well.

Slice the bananas and sprinkle a dash of lemon juice on them to stop browning

To assemble: Pour the custard mix into the prebaked pie crust, layer the sliced bananas all over the custard, spread the whipped cream on top of the bananas and sprinkle with toasted almonds and allow it to chill for about 20 minutes or so before cutting and serving.

A lot of the work can be done ahead of time so the time that you will spend will only be assembling it.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom