Banana Pomegranate Bread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GB

Chief Eating Officer
I was planning on making a banana cranberry bread the other day, but when I got to the market I could not find any cranberries. I was in a rush so I was not going to spend a lot of time looking. I had decided to just make a regular banana bread at that point when I walked past the pomegranates. I though why the hell not. I bought one and used the seeds instead of cranberries in my bread.

Well I won't do that again. It did not turn out bad at all, but the texture of the seeds just do not work with the bread. Tastewise, it is fine. You can not really taste a lot of pom flavor, but it was the moistest banana bread I have ever had. My daughter has been having fun picking the seeds out and eating them on their own :LOL:

So it wasn't like having small nuts in the bread? I saw this post and immediately thought "what a great idea!" Seeds too crunchy, stuck in your teeth like raspberry seeds? I bet it was a beautiful bread.

No it was nothing like having nuts. Not quite like raspberry seeds either as they did not stick in out teeth. It just kind of made it feel like there was something in your mouth you were supposed to spit out.

The bread came out very dark. It did not look like a normal banana bread. The color was great, but not what you would have expected. the red from the pom was not really seen. The seeds that survived intact lost the brilliance and got very dark red. They did not stand out against the dark bread.

I would not call it a failure by any means, but it definitely did not live up to what I was hoping it would be like. It is worth trying once if you are curious. If you go into it with lower expectations than I did then you may be pleasantly surprised :) Oh I used about a cup of seeds in case you want to give it a shot.

good on you for experimenting, geebs. I've always found the seeds a PITA to pick out of the shell, but love the juice. thanks for sharing the outcome.

Mudbug, I actually enjoyed removing the seeds. I used the underwater trick and it worked really well. The kids had fun watching me to it too. I course they did not mind when I would pop the random seed into their mouths.

This video will do a better job explaining that I would :) The only difference between what he does and what I do is I use more water and a deeper bowl. I have the piece I am working on completely submerged. That way and seeds that break will not shoot juice anywhere.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sHyqoeB0Wlk

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom