Banner Bar on bottom of screen

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Alix

Everymom
Moderator Emeritus
I've been around long enough to know that you need the ads to generate revenue or the site doesn't run. I get that. I'm pretty sure the current banner on the bottom of my screen is actually a promo from DC, and I just want to know how to say "no thank you" politely and permanently. I'm getting a bit annoyed with it. It pops up every time I load DC, I can't seem to get my ABP to work on it without buggering up the rest of the page and when I click on the X to get rid of it because it blocks part of the page it boots me out of DC entirely and I need to log in again.

Help please?

It only opens up when I load DC for the first time. I tried to get rid of it a few ways and ended up buggering up some of the OTHER banners on DC. Grrrrr! Too cranky to try and fix all my boo boo's myself, but hopefully someone else can do the job.

Alix,

Is a banner ad or is it asking for an email address for cooking tips?

Which browser (and version) are you using?

The facility that presents the banners is called Meerkat.
Meerkat :: A jQuery Plugin
It's a shareware plug-in available to website authors. Specifically, it's a jquery plug-in. Jquery is a Javascript library that facilitates web authoring. You will see that such banners appear on most but not all of the Social Knowledge forums, so I take it that they are part of the forum pages and under the control of Social Knowledge, rather than the forum management.

Meerkat does provide for a "don't show me this again" check box that sets a cookie so you don't ever have to see it again, but it is an option that has to invoked by, I presume, the Social Knowledge site admin. It is one of those things you accept in exchange for the free use of the forums site.

If you disable Javascrript (for Firefox, Options, Advanced, Content), you probably won't see jquery things, but, as noted, other sites may not work as wish. It's easy enough to try it and see if your other favorite websites still work properly, particularly right-click menus and window placements on pages. You can enable Javascript again, if needed.

Alix,

Is a banner ad or is it asking for an email address for cooking tips?

Which browser (and version) are you using?

It is asking for an email address. When you click on it, it bumps you to the top of the page. Can't get rid of it. Using IE.

Frank, did you do something? I renenabled Javascript, and the banner did not return. It still comes up on other forums, so I assume it's been turned off, or having Javascript disabled for a while got the cookie set to not run the banner.

Frank, did you do something? I renenabled Javascript, and the banner did not return. It still comes up on other forums, so I assume it's been turned off, or having Javascript disabled for a while got the cookie set to not run the banner.

Ditto! OK, I didn't do anything except complain, but the banner is gone. Thanks Frank.

There was an announcement recently about javascript getting hacked and sending out viruses. Not sure how true it was. Never had a problem.

2 words .. Ad Muncher. I've been using it for years and it works incredibly well.

Folks, thank you for all your lovely ideas, I should have spelled out Adblock Plus instead of using the ABP in my first post so you wouldn't all have thought I was doing without. I was irritated because I couldn't get the ad blocked with my AdBlock. No matter what I did it kept coming back. Man that was irritating.

I think the issue is solved now.

Back
Top Bottom