Basic Dumplings

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

debthecook

Senior Cook
3/4 cup flour
3/4 tsp baking powder
1/4 cup milk
1 egg

2 tbsp oil
1/2 tsp fresh minced thyme or 1 1/2 tsp dried

Mix flour and baking powder in medium bowl.
Combine milk, egg, oil and thyme in a small bowl.
Stir into the flour mix the milk mix to form a sticky dough.
Drop dough by rounded tablespoons into simmering liquid.
Cover, DO NOT REMOVE COVER, reduce heat to low and simmer 15 minutes. Makes about 10 small dumplings.

Here is a recipe for the dumplings I like to make for stews and soup. They hold up really good in stews.
1 egg beaten
1/3 cup milk
1 cup flour
add 1/4 tsp salt, stir well with fork until thick. Drop by tsp full into boiling broth, cover and leave cover on for 12 to 15 min. Make the dumplings as large as you like. or as small.

I've never seen dumpling recipes like these before, we make ours like this:

8oz self-raising flour,
4oz of vegetarian or beef suet, (we prefer the reduced fat vegetable suet - 'Atora' is a good brand to look for).
Salt & Pepper,
some dried sage (if they are for a chicken stew)
Water to mix.

Stir together the dried ingredients and add water, mixing very gently with a metal spoon until you get a soft dough. With floured hands (and still very gently because overhandling will just result in heavy dumplings), pick up lumps of dough about the size of small plums and drop them in simmering stew/casserole. briefly baste with the stew/casserole liquid then cover and simmer for around 20 minutes (oven or stove top). They will expand into beautifully huge light & fluffy and flavoursome dumplings.

Paint.

Quick, easy simple, no mess dumplings.

Use flour tortillas.

Rainee - I have heard that before but never tried it - I have some spare chicken broth and some whole wheat tortillas - can't hurt to try it!!! I'll post results.

I forgot all about stew and dumplings. Thanks all of you.
the tortilla thing sounds pretty good. Might try that one day.

Re: Dumplings

Hungry said:

Has any ne used canned biscuits? I did :cry: Complete flop! Must have taken the lid off and peeked. :oops:

Charlie

Hungry, I use them quite a bit & have never had any problems. Did you rol them out pretty thinly & slice then into strips first? I do that most of the time & I have just quartered the biscuits & dropped them in.

I use the canned biscuits, too, sometimes. This is a good, easy recipe:

Slow Cooker Chicken and Dumplings

4 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
2 Tbsp unslated butter
2 (10.75 oz) cans condensed cream of chicken soup
1 onion, finely diced
2 (10 oz) packages refrigerated biscuit dough, torn into pieces (I usually use one large can of biscuits--I think it's 16 oz. 20 oz seems too much to me)

Place the chicken, butter, soup, and onion in a slow cooker, and fill with enough water to cover.

Cover, and cook for 5-6 hours on High. About 30 minutes before serving, place torn biscuit dough in the slow cooker. Cook until the dough is no longer raw in the center.

PA, I'm going to do this again.

I wrote up a nice long response ( I thought) and when I went to preview it The Log In screen popped up. Of course my response wen't off to never - never land. :evil:

This happened to me last night also. I just posted a message on the HELP maybe someone will have the answer.

Your recipe sounda like a good one. I think I will have to 1/2 it as my pot isn't big enough for 4 breast.

There seems to be a load of recipes that use the creamed soups.

I use Tomato Soup for my porkepine meat balls in the pressure cooker.

I do a thing with chicken breast and Cream of Mushroom Soup over rice or noodles with green onions and pineapple chuncks.

I have another recipe for Swiss Steak that calls for Tomaro Soup. But, I prefer catsup for that one.

For "crewsk"
No I didn't cut my biscuits in strips. I 1/4 them. I'm sure "I peeked" too soon. I could have used them for cannon balls. :(

Charlie

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom