Bastille Day!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Lentil Mushroom Pate
https://www.davidlebovitz.com/faux-gras-foie-gras-vegetarian-lentil-mushroom-pate-recipe/

• 12 medium-sized (100g, about 1 cup) button mushrooms
  • 2 tablespoons olive oil (I won't use it)
  • 2 tablespoons butter, salted or unsalted (I won't use it)
  • 1 small onion, peeled and diced
  • 2 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
  • 2 cups (400g) cooked green lentils
  • 1 cup (140g) toasted walnuts or pecans (I'll cut back on this)
  • 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
  • 1 tablespoon soy sauce or tamari
  • 2 teaspoons minced fresh rosemary
  • 2 teaspoons fresh thyme, minced
  • 2 tablespoons fresh sage or flat leaf parsley
  • optional: 2 teaspoons Cognac or brandy (none in the house)
  • 1 teaspoon brown sugar
  • 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
  • salt and freshly ground black pepper
Happy Bastille Day!

A famos lady (Marie Antoinette) said these famous words "Let them eat cake!). She was then confined to the Bastile until she lost her head, literally. It seems appropriate that a cake be made on Bastille day, maybe something decadent, like a devil's food cake/yellow cake marbled together, with a strawberry mirror glaze icing.

Sounds good to me.

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

I did make the Lentil Mushroom Pate.
It is delicious on whole wheat toast. Especially good with pickles.

The next time I make a pizza, I'm going to use this on it too.

I like the idea of the lentils, to extend the paté. There is a recipe from many years ago, that I made many times, and was relatively simple, since I almost always had duxelles in the freezer.

Chicken Liver Paté

3/4 lb cleaned chicken livers
3 tb butter or chicken fat
1/3 c minced onions
1/8 tsp thyme
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp épices fines (or a generous pinch each of alspice, mace, and white pepper)
1/3 c cognac
1/3 c duxelles (optional, but I always use them)
4 oz soft butter
4 oz soft cream cheese

In a 10" sauté pan over low heat, cook onions in the butter about 10 min., or 'til soft but not brown. Add livers and seasonings, raise heat to med-high, and cook until just stiffened, about 2 min. Add cognac, heat to bubbling, and ignite. Let burn a minute, and extinguish with cover, if it burns that long. Remove from heat, and stir in the duxelles.

Cool for a while, until almost room temp, then purée in food processor (recipe was so old it said to do this in a food mill! :LOL:), then add the cream cheese, followed by the butter. Correct seasoning, and chill.

Silversage, I hope you had a wonderful time making croissants in France! [emoji632]

I have officially joined the drool club for making croissants.
I made croissants. Once. Once in a lifetime is more than enough [emoji16] although I might break that rule if I had the opportunity to make them in a baking class in Paris.

My tip: Turn the a/c *way down*, like to 65F. Warm croissant dough is your enemy.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom