Baumalu Cookware

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nops

Assistant Cook
I'm looking at buying some new copper cookware. Any thoughts on Mauviel vs Baumalu? Aside from the obvious difference in the lining.

Baumalu cookware is a pretty good line of copper, and is generally favorably priced compared to Mauviel or some of the others. Tin lined cookware is generally accepted as being superior in cooking quality to SS lined, but does have some drawbacks. Notably it scratches easily and must be used with wood or plastic utensils. For this reason, I would not recommend tin lined cookware in situations where there are a multitude of users. Retinning is not nearly the problem as some make it to be, but it is expensive. $5.00 per running inch, diameter + height plus shipping at present. Daily use pans should last years with proper care. SS is the better choice if it is not going to get the proper care. Baumalu is tin lined, and seems to be thinner than some other in lined pots. I am assumung you are talking of SS lined Mauviel, although they do make tin lined pans.

Baumalu is the better priced of your choices. Get the 2 mm with no rolled edge. The rolled is a thinner copper. Mauviel has long been considered as among the best. Cast iron handles perform better than brass. Mauviel's CI handles are heavier than Baulmalu

Worthy of consideration is a set of 4 tin lined saucepans with 3 mm thickness that are available at Rocky Mountain Retinning. Peter bought the parts and assembles and tins them on premises. The last I talked to him, he had only a very few sets left. These are top quality with hammered exteriors and heady cast iron handles. With lids, the price is $345. I have purchased 2 sets.

Bottom line. For me, Mauviel feels better than Baulmalu, but I prefer tin to SS. If you have kids using the pans, I would recommend SS. Baulmalu is the better priced and is sometimes priced at low sales prices. Either brand will work well.

I heard good things about Falk. Where's the best blade to buy online

I recently purchased a 6 piece set of Baumalu cookware. The instructions were minimal at best. There was no mention of lacquer coating. AND contrary to the posts I had read, it was not coated. I've used it many, many times and it polishes beautifully with just lemon and salt. I am thrilled with them...j

In my research, they say that tin is a better conductor of heat??

Falk has a "try me" pan that is expensive but VERY good, heavy copper, cast iron handle (always a sign of top-quality heavy copper cookware) and that greyish European stainless interior. IMHO Baumalu is slightly below middle quality for copper, although better than NO copper. Falk is very heavy duty, right at the top.

web, I pretty much agree with that assessment. Right now Falk is running about $50 less than Mauviel for comparable pieces. Both are top line. Mauviel is polished, Falk is brushed. Falk makes the bimetal for both.

Baumalu is a newish company, and newer still onthe American market. Some of their pieces are very thin, others are 2mm thick (much better). They claim hand tinning, but it is the the smoothest/thinnest job I've ever seen. Still, it's all real, and if the price is right...

The pans from Rocky mountain are very heavy duty, real beauties. Small to medium in size and very fairly priced. As they are truly hand hammered, really only good for gas ranges.

Yes I have lots of copper (all different companies, and use it.

Here is link to Falk try-me piece. 1.5 qt at very reduced price of $145. I know that's still expensive but it's a piece your grandchildren will be using and a good way to see if you like cooking with copper. I bought it (without the lid) from their web site, one of my first copper pieces, and use it several times a week for all sorts of things. Made in Belgium. Great quality. Nice size for one or two or making a side sauce. Falk is also offering a % off other items.
Falk Copper Sauciere "Try Me" Piece

Is it tin or stainless steel lined? Their website didn't specify. I'm thinking on trying it, I'd like to compare it to the Baumalu I have and just love.

All of the Falk is lined with stainless steel, but it's that grayish European stainless, not the silvery stuff we're accustomed to in the US. But very easy to clean (I use Barkeepers Friend) and it cooks great.

My research indicates that tin conducts heat better than ss???

technically yes. (and sounds different when food sizzles on it too). But we're dealing with very thin layers. Also tin melts at 460F. So sauteing and searing can be a problem unless one is careful and experienced. Tin was the standard, and is still used in a few specialty applications. Quite frankly, SS is the standard now for lining copper pans.

I agree. Most of my copper is tin lined and I've bought some old pieces and had them re-tinned. But when doing a high heat sear of meat it's awfully easy to get the tin too hot (produces little bubbles in the tin around the outer edges). So I have a couple of copper-stainless lined pieces or use cast iron or All Clad for a real browning of meat. But for a gentle braise or cooking with sauce the tin is great.

That's good information to have. I'm also leery about cooking anything tomatoee in the copper pots, so I use my cast iron for that. I do plan on paying the Rocky Mountain Tinning Co. a visit. I called them yesterday and they said I could drop by but to call just to let them know I was coming.

As long as your copper is lined with tin or stainless, you can cook anything you like in it. Raw copper is only good for egg whites and sugary items like jams and jellies, caramels, etc.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom