BBQ/grilled pork chops?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sherifffruitfly

Senior Cook
Hi all,

After I get suitably liquored tonite, I'm gonna grill me some pork chops. I'm also gonna make rice and sausage gravy - a heart-attack-on-a-plate if ever there was one.

It's gonna happen, so don't try to talk me out of it - LOL

I can however recognize that if the pork chops are TOO bbq-y, it'll clash with the ez-going nature of the rice n sausage gravy.

So I'm looking for suggestions for bbq-like sauce that will go along well with the sausage gravy. The gravy will be "standard" - sausage, flour, milk, salt, pepper kind of thing.....

Thanks for any suggestions!

middie said:
ummm... can i come over for dinner????

LOL - if the following 2 conditions are met:

(1) You're in the Seattle area, and

(2) You have a decent suggestion for a pork chop sauce that doesn't overpower the sausage gravy.

:)

If it was me - I would grill the cops without any BBQ sauce. I can't think of any BBQ sauce that wouldn't clash with the sausage gravy.

Michael in FtW said:
If it was me - I would grill the cops without any BBQ sauce. I can't think of any BBQ sauce that wouldn't clash with the sausage gravy.

Then mebbe some sort of herb-y rub? I just don't think I wanna look at plain ol pork chops.... Soy sauce mebbe?

lol - I'm reaching, I know...

Trust me - I've eaten my fair share of pork chops with rice and gravy ... you don't want to mess around with the chops too much or you'll get competing flavors.

The grilling will add flavor to the chops. If you feel you just must add something else ... a little garlic, onion, cayenne pepper, sage would compliment the sausage in the gravy - not compete with it.

Michael in FtW said:

Ok - then I'm thinkin of somethin like the following:

blackened seasoning
thyme
evoo

the evoo is just to make the rest be a lil bit pasty... Slather it on and grill, then smother in the sausage gravy.....

Will that suck?

Michael in FtW said:
Trust me - I've eaten my fair share of pork chops with rice and gravy ... you don't want to mess around with the chops too much or you'll get competing flavors.

The grilling will add flavor to the chops. If you feel you just must add something else ... a little garlic, onion, cayenne pepper, sage would compliment the sausage in the gravy - not compete with it.

You're prolly right - I just have trouble not adding shit when I'm in the kitchen....

Two ideas:

(1) wrap in bacon (cmon - how can that be bad? lol)

(2) use some dijon mustard somehow (dunno)

sherifffruitfly said:
Ok - then I'm thinkin of somethin like the following:

blackened seasoning
thyme
evoo

the evoo is just to make the rest be a lil bit pasty... Slather it on and grill, then smother in the sausage gravy.....

Will that suck?

IMHO - yep, it would suck! But, I'm an old Southern boy and you're messen with a Southen classic dish. Sometimes - less is more (aka- don't mess with it too much).

I would maybe use the "blackened" seasoning as a dry rub - but probably more if I was going to make blackened chops with red beans and rice with gravy.

You're mixing too many things here. There is no use grilling the chops if your going to smother them in the sausage gravy - the flavor of the grilling will get lost. Thyme and EVOO would be great - if you were going to smother the chops in a tomato sauce.

Grilled chops with a side of rice and gravy is one thing. Chops smothered in gravy served over rice is another. Grilled chops, smoked chops, BBQ (with sauce) chops is another.

try a dry rub of sea salt, fresh cracked pepper, and garlic and onion powder. i love grilled chops; do 'em all the time. the grilling, then topped with gravy sounds really good!

sherifffruitfly said:
Anyone from midwest who knows how to cook pork chops and come up for dinner?

d@mmit - i hate it when i go to the bathroom and my drunk friends start havin fun on the internet....

lol

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom