Beautiful chinese dishes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

riverli

Senior Cook
they are all cooked by one of my good friend.he study for many years to be a chef in china.
lt200508008.jpg
lt200508003.jpg

lt200508004.jpg
lt200508005.jpg

lt200508006.jpg
lt200508007.jpg

lt200508009.jpg
lt200508011.jpg

Last edited:
to be a good chef is hard and will cost many years in china.i think only few foreign friend have so many time to learn .the days is going on.china is changing too.
i want to introduce some quick and tasty chinese dishes to foreign friends.today i cook one kind of chinese noodles, but my cook english level is not enough.lol ,.i will try .i think friend can understand and fell that is interesting.:LOL:

Ordinary ones

riverli said:
dear mudbug.these dishes is some complex.i think that had better be told by himself in the future ,i can only tell about some ordinary ones. lol

riverli,

Please tell us about some ordinary ones. The pictures are beautiful and I'm sure your friend is very talented, but I am more interested in what happens in home kitchens.

I would like to know what the green one is, the first one and the yellow one just below it that looks like pears. Do you know what they are? The green one is pretty.

Very very beautiful.
They are works of art.
I just wish I could taste them!! I'm sure they are great.

i prefer to show friends the ordinary ones.you can cooked them usually .you can cooked them for your family and yourself,to add some nicety for life.
the first one ,
one chinese mix noodles
1c diced onion
1c diced celery
1c diced tomato
4 sliced capsicum
1406309628.jpg

5tbsp vegetable oil
1tbsp salt (or add to taste)
2tbsp beer
4tbsp tomato catsup
about 1/2 pound noodles
about 1/4 pound diced pork or beef or lamb
it will be better if you have 2 tbsp chinese soy,1/2 tbsp
Zanthoxylum bungeanum Maxim powder.i recommend to cook meat with chinese soy and Zanthoxylum bungeanum Maxim powder.
Zanthoxylum bungeanum Maxim will not be eat only ,but if add some powder to meat will add more attractive taste. Zanthoxylum bungeanum Maxim is this

200591082844.jpg

we use this pan to cook these
1406361694.jpg

Last edited:
heat the pan ,add oil,till it be heated ,add meat , chinese soy, beer,Zanthoxylum bungeanum Maxim powder sauted till it be riped.add the other vegetable sauted .
add salt and tomato catsup in the final.

after the dish is ok,put them on noodles .then you can eat it after mix them.
1418463637.jpg

the taste is good.:LOL:
remember ,the onion,celery,tomato,tomato catsup is the soul of this dish.it is easy, and i think all friend can get the raw materials..

some chinese cook other ways.but the above one is more popular.

20060121_151327_1.jpg

my mind , cook way,cookware,etc are not the same as the foreign friends.who have interest to discuss more with me to show the more exact my mind to all,lol.
i can't express all my thought with english. lol

but we can discuss more .it is interesting and we can know each other more slowly.

Last edited:
Home cookin

riverli,

Thanks for your last post!
I had no idea what Zanthoxylum bungeanum Maxim powder was, but then I don't know a lot. A few Google searches showed it might be be more commonly known in U.S. as Sichuan peppercorn. I found this interesting article about it and see it on Penzeys spice site. Is Zanthoxylum a spice you use daily, several times a week, or only occasionally?

The capsicum look like Anaheim chiles which are fairly mild. Are yours mild? Are the skins sometimes a problem?

Thanks again for the post. Please keep it up!

dear skilletlicker ,Zanthoxylum bungeanum Maxim is an very popular spice we use daily,nearly 80% meat cooked with it.
its odor is strange,but like any other spice, you can't eat them singly, they must be add to the dishes .
i read the article.i notice that it is writed in 2005 so that i think many american don't eat it before.it is a pity.
if you once you eat some good dishes with Zanthoxylum bungeanum Maxin,you will love it.
i will do something to help the foreign friend to eat more true chinese dishes in the future.i think good meals will be loved by everyone. lol.
the capsicum is moderate. if it is too irritatingly ,i can't bear them.but some people love that.
tomato catsup is tomato sauce or tomato ketchup.i don't know many cooking english word.i am sorry. lol.what do you call it.
tomato catsup
Zanthoxylum bungeanum Maxin ,i can't find a exact english word to call it,i read the article and i think you call it Sichuan peppercorn .but remember it is not peppercom.
i can't find it even in some dictionary.i find some name:szechwan pepper,Zanthoxylum bungeanum Maxin ,etc. in china, we call it花椒(read"hua jiao") maybe oneday you will come china to say to a waiter "i want to buy one pound 花椒,china is too large ,the 花椒 in szechwan and gansu province is better.

Last edited:
Riverli,
I doubt I'll ever get to China but this conversation has broadened my horizons already.
There is a pretty big and very busy Chinese market about 2 miles from home that I didn't know about. I showed them your picture captioned with it 花椒, Zanthoxylum bungeanum Maxim, and Sichuan peppercorn. The led me to a 2 oz bag labeled Roasted Szechuan Pepper for 95 cents. I also picked up a bottle of tomato ketchup imported from China. It is a little more spicy and less sweet than most American brands but you could definitely use either one in a dish like you describe.

I made your dish, as best I could, using beef (thinly sliced flank steak). The beef and vegetables were delicious. The 花椒 (szechuan pepper) was a wonderful addition.

About the noodles: I was tempted to use a homemade pasta of wheat flour and eggs, however, I wanted to be as authentically Chinese as I could, so I bought some noodles at the market. I know nothing about Chinese noodles and probably got the wrong thing. I used Jiangxi Rice Vermicelli. What kind of noodles do you use? What are they called and what are they made of?
Thanks again,
Bert

dear skilletliker:
i can't expess my feeling after i hear that you find them(Szechuan Pepper,tomato ketchup ) in so short time,and you have cooked the noddles by yourself.it is so wonderful. the internet is a magic to connect us.
i admire you ,friend.in the coming future .let intronduce more each other and i hope i can add more color to yours life.

yes, szechuan pepper is a wonderful spice,in the before i don't add them to dishes and i find that the meat always is not so delicious. one day when i add some ,the dishes's flavour has change more.
you learn this dishes .in fact, this ones has many cook skill and stories.let us practice more and make it better day and day.

this one is an ordinary ones you can eat often.this is one of my aim.
let me tell you more about the chinese mix noodles.
this one is origin from xinjiang province,china,one northwest province of china.the people live in there love this dishes most.this province is about 1,600,000 sq km,is the most large provice in china.but the people is about19,000,000,is small in china. there have many sheep and cattles ,tomatos,wheat. the sunlight and the temperature and the soil in there is not the same with other part of china.the meat of the sheep ,the tomato of there is more delicious.the wheat have more protein.in it origin place .people cook this noodle with local sheep.many local people don't eat pork.before they cook they first slice the lamb and mix with some amylum or egg white to make it more tender after be cooked.i often pass over this step,because i want to save time. i will hit the meat with heavy things to make it more loosen. this is an important step.i recommend you to hit the meat before you sliced them in many dishes.this step will make the meat more soft when you eat them,my teeth is often ill i can't eat hard foods,this step make me eat more well.
the szechuan pepper have many effect in chinese dishes.we use it grain, powder and even it oil.in the future ,if you have interest,i will teach you to mix some vegetable with szechuan pepper oil.i love the vegetable's flavour,i think many friend will love too.

the szechuan pepper si often be use more or lack,the food's flavour is change more, we must pracitice more to adopt.
many other provice people live in china cook this mix noodles ,but i find the flavour is not so good as i eat in xinjiang provice.even in xinjiang province ,some restaurant can't provide good mix noodle.but in xinjiang province ,about 80% restaurant can provide the delicious mix noodles,in other province about 5% can provide the good ones.
the local people prepare the noodles with the local flour .they usually prepare the noodles with their own hands!!!!they called the hand noodles la tiao zi(拉条子)

Last edited:
yes wheat flour .the handmade noodles is like this ,but in fact you can use other noodles instead

xin_5112021618195961332960.jpg

many other part people can't made such noodles .so you really want to eat the most genuine mix noodles ,you must go to xinjiang province. i can be your guide,lol. i have been live in xinjiang province for 19 years ,i often miss the time i have in that place .
you can replace the noodle with pasta,etc.the one you buy is ok too.
hope you will love them.
practice more skilletliker,so is me , i love this health ,delicious mix noodles, as time goes by we can talk even more.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom