Beef Heart

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

corkyvike

Assistant Cook
I bought some but what the hell do I do with it?

It's already sliced fairly thin but I have to get rid of it. It's supposed to be tasty...

:wacko:

I've never tried beef heart.

Interested in knowing how you prepare/serve it and what you think of the taste.

Keep us informed, please.

Ross

I have seen people eating it on those Korean Mukbang videos on youtube.. It seems to get rave reviews.

I'm just a terrible cook. That's the problem. :)

Only had heart once, beef. It was cooked whole, low and slow.
I didn't find it tasted like anything in particular, just a bit on the chewy side beef. I do remember that I didn't find it delicious, certaily edible but not scrumptious.

I was not told what it was (on purpose) but I did ask about the big holes I saw and wondered what/why they were.
Good chuckle all around when told. But unless I were to find what seems a fantastic recipe, if I had to cook one I would either pressure or braise all day.

If it is already sliced... don't know what to suggest!

I have had it and enjoyed it, but I have never cooked it. It was a very long time ago, so I don't even remember how it was served. All I remember was tasty and chewy.

Here yuh go! Found this at Serious Eats and although have not read the entire article I usually find them quite reliable. They also mention 4 different ways to cook. So have a good read and enjoy!

beef heart

I cut up a beef heart into half inch cubes, removed connecting tissue, and stewed it in a slow oven with the standard stewing veggies. It came out tender, and really tasty. Beef heart is a well exercised muscle, with a good blood supply, giving it a stronger beef flavor. It does need to be cooked low and slow, braised, or stewed. Those who shared the stew with me remarked about the flavor, in a good way.

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Some friend and I tried some beef heart in a Chinese sauce, and another time in some chipotle sauce; also the same things with pork hearts (things we used to get at Asian markets, where they carried every kind of offal!). The beef heart we cooked longer, until tender; now I'd pressure cook it in my Instant Pot, before cooking the syrupy sauce down. The Chinese one I cut into 3/4" cubes, and based it on 1,2,3,4,5 spareribs, with a tsp of 5 spice powder in it. The chipotle dish I based on an old chuck roast dish in an old Diana Kennedy dish, in which the beef was cooked whole, until tender, in seasoned water, and the beef is diced up (about 1/2", or a little smaller, for wrapping in tortillas), and the sauce is made with the cooking water, with dried chipotles or moritas. The sauce is "fried" about 7 minutes, then the rest of the broth is added, along with the heart, and simmered another 20 minutes.

Thanks.

There are so many recipes my head is spinning. I have to cook it today. We got it at an Asian market as well.

We've had all the other "hearts" except beef so I figured I'd give it a shot.

I hope it doesn't end up like the abalone we bought and then threw out in a gas station garbage can. :)

Those who are familiar with Coney Island Hot Dogs from Detroit, might be interested to know that what makes the 'chili sauce' unique is beef heart.

I know there are a million copy cat recipes on the internet using ground up hot dogs, or boiling the c**p out of the hamburger, but those are just internet copycats. I have bought 5 pound bricks of the frozen chili from the manufacturer, and sure enough, ingredient #1 on the package is beef heart.

Those who are familiar with Coney Island Hot Dogs from Detroit, might be interested to know that what makes the 'chili sauce' unique is beef heart.

I know there are a million copy cat recipes on the internet using ground up hot dogs, or boiling the c**p out of the hamburger, but those are just internet copycats. I have bought 5 pound bricks of the frozen chili from the manufacturer, and sure enough, ingredient #1 on the package is beef heart.

Interesting..

I found a recipe which uses beef heart.

https://amazingribs.com/tested-recipes/hot-dog-recipes/leader-dog-classic-detroit-coney-dog-recipe/

Ross

We used to cook beef hearts whole.

We would clean them and stuff them with a simple bread stuffing, tie them shut and brown on all sides then pot roast them low and slow until tender.

If the heart is sliced I would cook it hot and fast, but I'm afraid that it will be chewy.

Grinding the heart and adding it to a sauce is a great idea, think Sloppy Joe.

IMO beef heart is not really a great value.

Last edited:
The best stew I ever had/made is from beef heart. Cook low and slow in liquid. Serve with whatever side dish you like. All it needs a little bit of salt and pepper. Nothing fancy.

Back
Top Bottom