Beef Shanks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tommymat

Assistant Cook
Any one have any good ideas for Beef Shanks?

I have three monster shanks but no idea what to do with them... I was thinking of some braising them or making some kind of stew.

Any suggestions?

This is my favorite use for beef shanks.

BEEF BARLEY MUSHROOM SOUP

2 Tb Canola Oil
1 1/2 Lb Beef Shin on the bone
2 Tb Flour
TT S&P
1 tsp Canola Oil
1 Carrot, diced
1 Onion, diced
1 Celery rib, diced
4 C Beef Broth
2 C Chicken Broth
1/2 tsp Thyme, dry
2/3 C Pearl Barley, rinsed
1 C Canned Tomato
1 Tb Butter
3/4 Lb Mushrooms, quartered
3 Tb Parsley, minced

Heat a 6-quart saucepan or Dutch oven over medium-high heat; add 2 tablespoons of the oil. Season the meat generously with salt and pepper and dust with the flour. Sear the meat on all sides until well browned.

Wipe the pan out with a paper towel. Lower the heat to medium, add the remaining oil to the pan. Add the carrot, onion, and celery to the pan and sweat for 10 minutes.

Return the meat to the pan. Add the broth and bring it to a boil.

Simmer, covered, 1½ hours.

Add the thyme, barley, and tomato, continue to simmer covered, for 45 minutes.

Meanwhile, in a medium sauté pan, heat the butter over medium-high heat, add the mushrooms and sauté until golden, about 10 minutes. Season the mushrooms with salt and pepper and add them to the soup, and simmer for 15 minutes more.

Remove the meat from the soup and cut the meat from the bone and dice.

Return the meat to the soup. Add the parsley. Season the soup with salt and pepper.

Note: If making the soup in advance, you may want to adjust the consistency of the soup when re-heating with added water, since the barley has a tendency to absorb the broth.

Andy M. Again you've tickled my tongue with your idea. I made the beef & barley soup just last week, counting on the marrow bone to give me sufficient nutrients to battle a case of the flue (was off work for three days). That and some homemade chicken and brown-rice soup made from a left-over chicken carcass did the trick. And they just taste so good. I love a good soup.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Cross cut of beef shank is great for almost any soup or a stew, but I ‘m not sure what to do with the whole leg, if like you said “it’s huge”.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom