Benefits of a pressure cooker for a vegetarian??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

larry_stewart

Master Chef
Ive always wanted a pressure cooker ( maybe because Ive never had one and Im curious). Im just curious if it would really make a difference considering the things i eat. Is it worth it for me to invest in a pressure cooker ??

Well Larry... I bought one not to long ago and have yet to use it yet!!!! LOL! I need to dig around the net and find some stuff to whip up!!!

Okay, so since looking at this thread, I checked on some.
Please tell me why there is such a drastic price range from $20.00 to $169.00! I was shocked!
I just want to use it once and awhile, and it's just me, alone.
What would be a realistic $$ amount I would expect to spend?

Umm! Several years ago Buck and I bought a Kuhn Rikon duo (2 pans) pressure cooker set and haven't looked back. The set included a large pan (5-quarts) and a smaller skillet-like one (about 2 quarts), along with the pressure lid and a glass lid to use as a pot lid for either pan.

The whole bunch was about $199.00 but we thought it was a good value and it's turned out to be one of our best purchases. We can cook large quantities in the big pan and prepare smaller recipes in the little one. They also double as fine heavy-duty cookware. Love, love, love the Kuhn Rikon.

As for pressure cooking foods, been doing it for more years than some of you have been around and find it to be a great way to cook quickly and retain nutrition. We even have a microwave pressure cooker (yes) that is quite handy. Have had that for almost 30 years.

As for pressure cookers, they're a wonderful cooking tool.

Thank you Katie. I did see that microwave one listed also, and was surprised at that too.
I'm going to have to physically go out and do the touchy, feely test I guess.

I'm still using old Presto stainless steel pc's...4 and 6qt. They make beans go fast, great for short cooking times for rice, white or brown, and add lentils, curry, coconut milk plus hard veggies to the pot, sometimes I put a piece of fish on top. I bought these pc's in a thrift store, and the local hardware carries gaskets for a couple dollars apiece. Cheap pc's ... under $10 each. Well worth the money for a vegetarian.

I use my pressure cooker, a Tamontina 8 quart in the summer a lot. It cooks stew meat and chicken beautifully, fast and doesn't heat up the whole house in the heat.

I have to try more things in it. They are a bit finicky with certain foods that don't have a lot of fluids.

I also have burned stuff. I have a newer electric range and it burns too hot. The instructions said heat on MEDIUM. I have to heat on LOW-MEDIUM and never on MEDIUM. Also, I have to watch the first few minutes to see if the button pops up. I sometimes have to wiggle it. If it doesn't pop, it may be too hot, and it is actually burning at the base. ODD. If the button pops all is well.

Still learning.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom