Best recipe for a very simple parota dough

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SEEING-TO-BELIEVE

Head Chef
i want to make it out of all purpose flour, oil, salt and warm water.

do you have the best recipe for that the the correct ratio of flour and water?

how long to let it sit before preparing?

tnx

BTW
i've got my cast iron grittle and excited to use it

yes, there are more than one word for this.

and there are endless variations in the dough and if using, filling...

i think i want to improve mine even tho it is quite good.

next time i will fill in chicken or use yogurt instead of some water..

Attachments

• msg1018236381-62389.jpg
    msg1018236381-62389.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 31
thanks
its
- 700 gr white flour
- about 350 ml water or a bit more
- half tablespoon of table salt
- 3 tablespoons oil

soon i will try a filled one
i've found some recipes for that

OK - so now I understand you want to make a paratha, a flaky Indian griddle bread.
There are thousands and thousands of recipes out there; but the secret is not the recipe as such, but how you manipulate the dough and how much ghee you use - ie. plenty.
I use Madhur Jaffrey´s recipe in principlehttps://thehappyfoodie.co.uk/recipes/wholemeal-griddle-bread-paratha/
the more you knead, the better it is.

OK - so now I understand you want to make a paratha, a flaky Indian griddle bread.
There are thousands and thousands of recipes out there; but the secret is not the recipe as such, but how you manipulate the dough and how much ghee you use - ie. plenty.
I use Madhur Jaffrey´s recipe in principlehttps://thehappyfoodie.co.uk/recipes/wholemeal-griddle-bread-paratha/
the more you knead, the better it is.

Maybe you know about this. I notice that in this recipe the author mentions "chapati flour". That would be atta flour, wouldn't it? That's a whole grain, wheat flour. Is it different in some way from the whole grain, wheat flour that we get here on Turtle Island? Would regular or hard whole grain, wheat flour work well in recipes that call for atta flour?

That is what I was going to suggest that you try - some of those many whole grains they use in the Indian flatbreads, as well as brushing with the melted ghee. This will give much better flavor than white flour, and neutral oil.

Here's my favorite Indian blog I look up recipes in first, esp. when I have some unusual ingredients I'm growing, or things like these whole grains. Here's what I got when I typed in paratha - it gives 368 (!) recipes, but actually more, with countless categories, that might interest you. She has the filled ones, a calcium rich category (maybe some of those have yogurt?), and many others.
https://www.tarladalal.com/RecipeSearch.aspx?rec=1&term=Paratha

karadekoolaid

how long do you personally kneed?

taxlady

ill give another try to whole wheat flour next time

pepperhead212
tnx

i will visit the links in a moment

STB, If you are thinking of WW flour, and you have any Indian groceries around, look into getting the atta flour. This is simply WW durum flour - maybe that is available there under another name. You have to be careful though - a lot of it isn't 100% whole grain, so check the labels carefully.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom