Best recipes for camping

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kbreit

Cook
Can someone suggest recipes which were good for camping? I'm looking for something a little more unique than the typical hot dogs or burgers.

Thanks!

Food cooked outdoors always seems to taste good, and campers have more ways of cooking at the campground than anywhere else. They can cook on grills and stoves, in Dutch ovens and over campfires. RVers might be using an electric range or microwave oven, while you might find scouts baking in a box oven.
I want to share a very quick campaigning recipe i.e. Baked Stuffed Trout. I would share its recipe:
Recipe Ingredients:
1) Lake Trout (3-4 lb.)
2) Instant chicken stuffing
3) Salt
4) Pepper
5) Lemon juice
6) Vegetable oil
7) Aluminum foil

Cooking instructions:
1) Make the stuffing according to pkg. directions.
2) Clean trout by gutting only. leave head and tail on.
3) Lay out tin foil, double thickness and big enough to wrap trout completely.
4) Lay trout on foil and stuff cavity.
5) Sprinkle with salt, pepper and lemon juice. Add a couple of tablespoons of oil around fish wrap trout and place on grill above flames for about 45 minutes.
6) Remove from fire and unwrap. Skin will peel off.

Look for recipes which don't require any refrigerated ingredients. Also, recipes that you can pre-measure nearly everything into one or two labeled plastic bags per meal and only have to add water before cooking or heating. Some traditional camping/backpacking favorites are:

*Chicken Tetrazzini (chicken noodle casserole) using canned chicken
*Beef Stroganoff
*Chili and cornbread (Pre-make the chili at home or use canned) Pour the cornbread batter over the chili before baking.
*Any fresh fruit or berry cobbler (Fresh is preferred over canned. It tastes better outdoors.)
*Baked Potatoes (Real butter will last longer without refrigeration than the length of your camping trip.)
*Quesadias
*Omelets (Eggs will last a week without refrigeration if you simply keep them cool - i.e. out of the sun.) Try wrapping them in a damp towel and stored in a plastic bag with a few holes punched in it.
*Pancakes (Pre-made mix in which you only need to add water and oil.) To make it special, top with fresh berries, sliced banana or use real maple syrup.

Fixing something special makes mealtime fun, and keeping it simple makes it a pleasure.

"Leave nothing but your footprints." - Smoky the Bear

Hobo dinners are quick, easy, and no clean up involved.

Aluminum foil, onion, carrot, potato, cubes of beef, season to your liking, bundle and throw in coals of camp fire.

An easy one for breakfast is scrambled eggs with corn in it. Just add a Tablespoonful (not the measuring tablespoon spoon) of drained corn per egg and scramble until done. It comes out yummy (at least I thought so).;)

If I am camping with electricity I always bring a crock pot and make hiking stew!
(geez BigD, you with a crock pot!? Thats weird! What the heck is hiking stew?)
We call anything you can make in a crock pot 'Hiking Stew' because it is cooking while we are hiking!

Worried about animals disturbing your crock? I use large rubberbands to hold the lid on.

Instead of rice, use bulgar wheat. It goes well with almost anything rice goes with.

To cook, you just cover it in boiling water, put a lid on it, and leave it for 20 mins. Much easier than cooking rice or pasta.

Also, bulgar when unprepared is dry like rice or pasta so easy to take camping. You can buy it at Turkish stores, and probably some ordinary supermarkets these days.

Mel:)

The one thing we always took camping with us was a big cooked at home meatloaf, already sliced. That first nite, the last thing we wanted to do was cook, after a long drive and setting up camp. Making big meatloaf sandwiches with pre sliced red onion on fresh sourdough bread was a snap, and a delicious first nite supper around the campfire. Awwww, the memories. sigh
Happy camping!!

GLOP (a one pan recipe)

1 Lb Hamburg
1 Ea Onion, chopped
2 cl Garlic, minced
1 small can of mushrooms or fresh sliced
1 small can of corn or frozen
1 small can of peas or frozen
1 Can diced potatoes (about 14-16 ounce size)
1 Can Cream of mushroom soup

In a 12" skillet, brown the hamburg and drain excess fat. Add the onion and garlic and cook until soft.

Add everything else, stir to combine and heat through.

Instead of rice, use bulgar wheat ...Much easier than cooking rice or pasta. Mel:)

While I'm sure there's a place in the world for bulgar wheat... somewhere...,:ROFLMAO: it's no substitute for pasta. And pasta can be just as easily cooked. That's why there are instant meals that feature it.

Instant rice is also a no-brainer and barely needs anything more than a cup of hot water. It doesn't get much easier than that. ;)

A lot of really good ideas. Thanks for the suggestions everyone. Of course, more are welcome.

You can take boneless skinless breasts and put them in a ziplock bag with a Lawrys Pineapple Teriaki marinade at home and have great sammys any time over the weekend.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom