Best thermal cofee maker?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cats

Senior Cook
Hi - I posted a similar question in the general questions and chat section, but thought I might get add'l responses in this area. To summarize, I would like to get a thermal coffee maker. I have heard from the other site that Krups and Bunn are both very good, however, as well as being good operational wise, I also want to know if they keep the coffee HOT. My experience at Christmas with a Mr. Coffee brand coffee maker was terrible and one of the multiple faults was that the coffee wasn't even hot in the thermal carafe. Any and all input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

We just bought a Cuisinart (the white one shown here ... it was on sale http://www.bizrate.com/buy/products__att259--263959-,att294299--267613-,cat_id--13050802.html) and could not be happier with it.

The thermal carafe really makes a difference in the quality of the coffee, as it never sits on heat and stays much fresher-tasting. The coffee stays really, really hot, too. I don't like mine piping hot, and it is hot eneough for me even 8 hours later. 24 hours later it's still warm!

The only things not to like seem to be that the top can be hard to screw in and the basket can be difficult to get to sit down correctly.

We bought one for the office, too (the silver model) and everyone loves it.

Hope that helps.

Here's what Mom and my Aunts have done for several years ... forget the fancy stuff and go back to basics. They got a thermal carafe (basically a thermos) - and fill it with hot water ... let it sit for about 3-5 minutes to get the insides hot. Dump the water and pour in the hot coffee .... stays hot, doesn't scourch from sitting on a hotplate .... and cheaper than going out and buying some new coffee maker.

From reading your multiple posts over the past few months, I most always tend to agree with your excellent and informed information/advice. Your reply to my question regarding a thermal coffee maker is pretty much what I too was thinking about doing. I do, however, like the "looks" of the thermal coffee makers so I haven't entirely ruled out that idea. So, any additional input would still be greatly appreciated from anyone. :)

cats, we currently use a Mr Coffee thermal coffemaker with no problems. Prior to this one, we had a Black and Decker model that worked fine for years.

A nice feature on both models was a timer you could set that automatically turned the gizmo on so you could have coffee ready and waiting when you stumbled downstairs in the morning.

crewsk said:
I have a Black & Decker Thermal Select Plus & I love it! The automatic on timer is a great thing!! :LOL:

How long have you had it? I have had a few Black & Decker appliances, including a coffeemaker and a toaster oven, and they always seem to expire shortly after the warrantee does.

Hi everyone - I'm still on my thermal carafe coffee maker search and I saw in a JC Penney cooking stuff catalog that they have a Melitta brand thermal carafe coffee maker. The price was only $69.99, so not too back compared to the Krupps or Bunn units. Has anyone tried this brand or heard anythiing about it? Thanks again.

I have never had a Melitta coffeemaker, but I did buy a Melitta burr coffee grider once. It consistently spit coffee grounds all over everything, and my favorite moment was when it finally locked up solid, smoked profusely, and then died, so I could take it back to Le Gourmet Chef and get my money back.

Just thought I would let all you helpful people know that I finally did get my thermal carafe coffee maker. My husband and I went to a wonderful cooking store and they had the Krups 10 cup Aroma Control thermal coffee maker. We had a great saleslady assist us and I even had her put water in the floor example to make sure it didn't drip when pouring (the other one we tried did) and she even provided me with the users product booklet for review. Best of all, the price was $129.99, but they had it on sale for $69.99! :D Tried it out with plain water when we got home and using it for the first time this a.m. It works great and the coffee is nice and hot. I also kind of splured and got the gold tone coffee filter insert that goes with it as an extra, so no more paper filters to buy. Then, since my hubby was in such a cooperative and generous mood, I also got a new set of LeGourmet Profession non-stick pots and pans. I currently have Revereware, but as we now have an electric ceramic cooktop (previously had gas), and they jiggle around, I wanted flat bottom pots. I could have stayed in that store all day and had a blast! I told my better half he's off the hook for Valentine's Day (hehe). Anyhow, thanks for listening and your advice.

I have the Cuisinart grind and brew thermal coffee maker. 149.00 retail. It works great, stays hot and no acrid taste after an hour. Plus it got a top rating in Cooks Illustrated. The only drawback is that it is a pain to clean. But that aside, worth the money for a quality cup of coffee, provided that you get a nice bean to start with. We like 8 O'Clock Bokar Blend rich and flavorful.

cats said:
Just thought I would let all you helpful people know that I finally did get my thermal carafe coffee maker. My husband and I went to a wonderful cooking store and they had the Krups 10 cup Aroma Control thermal coffee maker. We had a great saleslady assist us and I even had her put water in the floor example to make sure it didn't drip when pouring (the other one we tried did) and she even provided me with the users product booklet for review. Best of all, the price was $129.99, but they had it on sale for $69.99! :

You got a great deal!!! That's the one we've had for the past year. Love it! Used to do like Michael suggested and pour freshly-brewed in a thermal pump pot. I like this way much better!

Back
Top Bottom