Best thing you ever ate?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
What an endearing story that is, Katie E. Your Dad sounds like he was a wonderfully doting father who understood the importance of quality time.
Atmosphere and good company sure adds to the experience of "best thing we've ever eaten" doesn't it?

Accompany this with a fabulous white wine like a 2007 French Pouilly Fuisse by Louis Jadot. It says "White Burgundy" on the label which sounds like a contradiction in terms to me. I've heard it referred to as a Chardonnay also.

Mollyanne: All white Burgundy wine IS Chardonnay. Pouilly-Fuisse is the name of two towns (close to each other) in the Burgundy region of France. Wines in France traditionally take the name of the place where the grapes are grown. So this wine you like -- and it is good, although not extraordinary -- is all the things it says on the label. :)

Hope this helps.

Like so many others here, I could never name just one thing as the best I've ever eaten. I can say though, that my most memorable meals were, the food spread that I had at the Pagsanjan Falls Resort in the Phillipines, the spaghetti with meat sauce that I had at great Lakes Naval Air Station, Great Lakes Illinois (the first time I had spaghetti sauce with basil and oregano in it, my stepfather didn't like spicy foods), my first slice of deep-dish pizza from Square Pan Pizza in San Diego, Ca (the first thick crust pizza I'd ever seen or tasted), the fried ice cream served at Carlos & Totos in Barstow, Ca., my first batch of home made spring rolls, the cinnamon rolls (sticky buns) recipe that I put in here last week under the title - incredible pastry dough, or something like that, the bone-in rib eye steaks purchaced from Iowa Meat Farms outlet stores in San Diego area, Carne Asada Burritoes from La Cotija in El Cajon, Ca., A&W Root beer, Cher-Made brand hot dogs, and the first bite of savory bread dressing stuffed rouladden that was given me by a kind subscriber to Grit Newspaper on a cold and rainy November evening when I was abotu 12 years old. Oh, and who can forget brook trout, caught, cleaned, dredged in flour, and cooked the same day with my dad in a cast iron skillet, not to mention the fish feeds we had when me, my dad, & my grandpa would go to our favorite trout streams and come home with a mess of trout, or smelt in the spring.

I could go on, but why? And I haven't even touched deserts, or my Mom's cooking yet.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Memorable meals are memorable not always just for the food. Often the setting/company makes the food taste much better than it might someplace else. Living and traveling all over the world, I've had many "best things" to eat. Here are some of my best.

- A delicious escalope de veau at a French restaurant in Montréal (the romantic evening my dd came into being... sorry if TMI)
- an outstanding 4-cheese pizza in a cafe in France (the first time my mother visited us when we were living abroad)
- a delicious veggie sandwich in an outdoor cafe in Munich (shared with my then 3yo little girl who discovered she loves arugula)
- a great lasagne in an Italian restaurant in Chicago (just an awesome restaurant)
- frogs legs at the teeny, tiny hole-in-the-wall diner in the town where my dad was born (with my dad and with my dd, then 5, falling in love with frogs legs)
- mussels in Brussels... need I say more?
- the creamy basil pasta in my hometown (on a lakefront restaurant with a gorgeous view)
- filet, grilled at home, with béarnaise sauce, eaten on the back deck with my family.

I could go on and on, probably. I think there's much more to "the best thing ever" than just the food. Food just helps us make memories... and that is the important part.

Freshly made bread in Egypt with amazing baba ganoush
Amazing parathas filled with delish fillings (potatoes, cheese, spinach and the list goes on) in Mumbai, India at this restaurant that's called Only Parathas (the menu is almost like a book)
Pizza in Rome
Pear and chocolate sorbet I ate at Mint Leaf restaurant in London
Really good hand made pot stickers at Hakkasen restaurant (Alan Yu is the chef) in London
Chicago style stuffed crust pizza at Lou Malinatis
Chicago style hot dog at Jimmy's a joint in the city served with the greasiest fries, I still crave it at times
Greektown Gryos in greektown chicago
Beignets at Grand Luxe cafe on Michigan Avenue, Chicago - They prepare it fresh and serve it with three dipping sauces
Sour dough bread bowl with steaming clam chowder in San Francisco
Potbelly's Sandwiches - I really do like these and so do my kids
Diner type food that I used to eat 20+ years ago in Georgia - Greasy macaroni, sweet corn, fried okra, biscuits, strawberry shortcake. I don't eat that now but I have vivid memories of how it tasted and it's nostalgic

I have been to many high end restaurants but sometimes it's the unexpected simple things I like much better than super gourmet experiences.

Seafood! I love fried whole-bellied clams...glad I don't live in New England any longer where I could get them all the time...couldn't be real healthy eating them all the time.:rolleyes:

what's the best thing made with bacon? anything better than a homemade egg mcmuffin with a real fried egg & back bacon (because it's the right size & shape) & cheddar? :chef:

Learning how and then producing my own homemade Ravioli and gravey..Tons of work but oh so delish. Learning how to make all the things my DH loves and it was not easy my m-i-l did not want to give me the recipes, I got a lot of pinch if this handfull of that. So, I remembered my dad's old saw, that there was more than one way to skin a cat. So I set out and did just that,,Like pulling teeth it was but I did, it.
kades

what's the best thing made with bacon? anything better than a homemade egg mcmuffin with a real fried egg & back bacon (because it's the right size & shape) & cheddar? :chef:

I had ham, egg, and swiss biscuits yesterday. I usually do them in the microwave and they are great! When using biscuits or english muffins I cook the egg in a coffee cup. Bread or bagel I use the small ramakins.

It's all good.;):)

It would be easier to name my "WOW" foods. First, that I can remember, is smoked brisket so tender it had to be cut in 1/2" thick slices. Had to do w/the challenge of getting it right, too.

The latest, and possibly the greatest, was the fresh crawfish boil we did last friday. It was fun to do, tasted fantastic, and was fun to eat w/the kids. Food is more of an event for me, that is what makes it even better. Cooking and eating the best food in the world wouldn't be as good as just a plain burger off the grill w/family(inlaws not incl ;):LOL:) and friends.

Great thread to read. Very interesting.

I agree that circumstances are the key.
I have had a stew made with potatoes, onions and dried beef in the woods in a primitive camp that was amazing.
There is an oyster bar outside of Elizabeth City that serves some of the best shrimp I ever ate.
The first smoked standing rib roast that my wife and I prepared together was darn near sinful.
The key to all of these and more is the company of family and friends.

Well, imho, the best thing made with bacon is an Avocado BLT on toasted whole grain bread. But that's just me.... (oh, and I need homemade mayo on that. ;) )

Well, imho, the best thing made with bacon is an Avocado BLT on toasted whole grain bread. But that's just me.... (oh, and I need homemade mayo on that. ;) )

iron chef judges think so too! (except for the avocado):
[youtube]zNaz9xxKIJQ[/youtube]

As others have stated, "Best Thing You Ever Ate" is really impossible. Because the "Best Thing You Ever Ate" is nearly always going to be the "best thing" at that particular time.

This could be your mom's mac & cheese, some special fresher-than-fresh sushi, perfect burgers at a barbecue, clams opened & enjoyed on the beach. . . . you get the idea.

Over the years (& I ain't a spring chicken anymore), I've enjoyed many "bests", but if I had to pick a restaurant meal - & I've had dozens that I've drooled over - one that frequently comes to mind is a rabbit & duck braise that I had at our local "The Rail Stop" restaurant in The Plains, Virginia, back when it was still the original "Rail Stop" - meaning before actor Robert Duvall got involved with it (an interesting & semi-tawdry story in itself - lol!) & then sold it back to the original chef. Somehow the food never found its way back to its original glory.

Anyway, back in its heyday, hubby & I stopped in there for dinner on a cool & absolutely perfect fall evening. The place was packed with locals, including many still in riding togs from the morning's hunt.

I enjoyed a lovely local wine while awaiting what turned out to be an absolute poem of a dish - a nice quarter of rabbit & a nice quarter of duck, braised to perfection in a red wine sauce along with some beautifully turned baby turnips & carrots. The whole lot served on a bed of creamy & nicely seasoned cheese grits. Southern country cuisine at its very best. I've yet to come across a meal like that again.

Hmmm. Let's see. Well, beef stroganoff has to be close to the top of my list. Quiche Lorraine would be, too. Crab cakes. BLT. And I would have to add trout almondine. Lamb shanks braised in rosemary, wine and balsamic vinegar. Dang. I just got hungry all of a sudden. Excuse me . . . .

Back
Top Bottom