Best thing you ever ate?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
If you start "THINKING" about it, this is an impossible question to answer. However what sprang into my mind first the moment I saw the question, was the tiny wild strawberries we picked while trekking in the italian alps, we had to restrain ourselves from gobbling up all of them on the spot but try to take some back home.

:ermm::ermm::ermm: I am also at a loss for the best thing I ever ate,as there are so many... However there is one thing that brings back very fond memories.

When I lived on long island, in new york, there was a place called Peters clam bar and after going to the beach we would go and down dozens of icy cold clams on the half shell, along with dozens of heinikiens... OH the memories!!!

"The Rice Table"

There's one meal that I ate at an Indonesian restaurant in San Francisco many years ago that sticks in my memory as extra special. It was called "The Rice Table" and consisted of many dishes. When I finished eating I said to the others at my table this is what I would love to have as my last meal before I die a peaceful death in my old age. :chef:

I agree that best meals often have more to do with occasion and setting than the food itself (although if the food is awful, it can undo everything else; if the food is super, if you're miserable when you eat it it isn't going to work either). One stellar moment was when I was maybe 11 years old. We were at a theater near Garmisch, I think. The Casa Carioca. At the time it was where Western European ice skating stars would perform. Us girls (I have 3 sisters) got dressed up and went to see the show. They had a dance floor that slid over the ice, and believe me, seeing my parents dance was always a pleasure, they were so darned good (still are). But the meal? Daddy just ordered a huge platter of cheese. Many, many kinds of cheese. It all seemed so elegant. I still regularly buy different kinds of cheese from my local gourmet store, trying something new once in awhile, and husband and I eat a meal of cheese, bread, maybe some salami or pate, and a bottle of champagne. But I always remember that magical night when I was 11 or so ....

I agree that best meals often have more to do with occasion and setting than the food itself...But I always remember that magical night when I was 11 or so ....

So true, Claire. When I was little nothing was so elegant and tasty as the Cottage Cheese stuffed Tomato when my parents took us out to the Holiday Inn for dinner. I still enjoy eating this, but that first one with all of us dressed up and sitting in a real restaurant was tops. Mostly we just went to the pizza parlor...and that was the best in it's own right.

Well i live in Spain and here are a lot of good restaurants but i was in Bulli 3 years ago and taste smoke's foam ... god this man is so crazy LOL

best pizza this week. what's everybody's favourite? i have trouble picking one. sometimes i like a simple cracker-thin scorched margherita & sometimes i like something from the local 2 for 1.

Best memories

Amazing how one can remember exactly where you were/whom with when you had your "best ever". I asked my wife and daughter (10 yr old):

Wife: 1. spinach, ricotta ravioli in Florence
2. artichokes in Chianti

Daughter 1. Mom's "red pasta"
2. Dad's Norwegian Salmon with mozarella and olives in puff pastry

Food is more of an event for me, that is what makes it even better. Cooking and eating the best food in the world wouldn't be as good as just a plain burger off the grill w/family(inlaws not incl ;):LOL:) and friends.
You must have the secret for grilling great burgers then because I've never had a burger from a grill that was THAT great. They're usually dry instead of juicy...and you have to drown them in ketchup, mustard, mayo, tomato, pickle, cheese, special sauce, etc. etc. to make them edible

You must have the secret for grilling great burgers then because I've never had a burger from a grill that was THAT great. They're usually dry instead of juicy...and you have to drown them in ketchup, mustard, mayo, tomato, pickle, cheese, special sauce, etc. etc. to make them edible
Man, I feel sorry for you. Sure at first when I was grillin burgers, they didnt come out right. But now I make them practically perfect, just need to mind the temp, and cook them evenly on each side. Time depends on temp of grill, thickness of patties & fat content.

I knew I shot myself in the foot with that comment when I made it cuz I know you guyz love your burgers. :-p Thanks for the tips Josh. I also read once somewhere that you can't keep flippin' em...just once on each side. Maybe that's where I've gone wrong.

It's a 3-way toss up between
1) the 7 course tasting menu dinner at "Victoria and Albert's" in the Grand Floridian Hotel
2) my fresh homemade Neapolitan style pizza
3) my fresh ground, cooked rare, brisket/sirloin/short ribs blend burgers topped with queso blanco, caramelized onions, mushrooms, roasted poblanos and slices of fresh avocado

I'm on a low cal diet right now so EVERYTHING I've ever eaten is the best thing I ever ate! :(

But there was this firecracker seafood taquitos that was out of this world. It was in Corpus Christi, they were awesome!

I want some now :blink:

2) my fresh homemade Neapolitan style pizza

Tried the pizza at a new shop today. While it is better than anywhere else around, my daughter summed it up best. "The crust is bland and not as good as yours, thanks for ruining all other pizza Dad!"...I have to say that that made my day:)

My grandmother's stuffed green peppers made with all fresh ingredients from her garden.

~Kathleen

Lordy what did she put in her peppers cause there isn't to much from the garden itself aside from the peppers that go in them, unless it's all veggie??? What was her secret??

Lordy what did she put in her peppers cause there isn't to much from the garden itself aside from the peppers that go in them, unless it's all veggie??? What was her secret??

Not all veggie, but the peppers came from the garden as did the onions and tomatoes. She would occasionally add a bit of garlic from the garden. As for the rest, it was ground chuck, chili powder, pepper and salt, and a bit of cooked rice.

To round out the meal, we had fresh corn on the cob, string beans, fresh tomatoes and cucumbers, and some small green onions. All right from the garden.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom