Best way to cook and eat an artichoke?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
i love just plain artichokes but I had one in Feb. that I can't forget. Every time I see a big one I want to jump on it and make one stuffed to the gills with finely chopped shrimp,scallops,parsley,shallots,garlic bread crumbs and butter drizzeled all over the thing, It was delicious and gigantic,lots of work but well worth it.
kadesma:)

I'm a steamer. I'll definitely try nuking them next time...
I'm impatient to get to the heart, which works for me anyway because I like to strip the leaves and refrigerate them for salads later. They make for handy and tasty scoops to help me fork flat salad greens, and the leaves' meat gets flavored by dressing in the process.
Here is a tip for microwave steaming of artichokes that I got from a microwave cookbook - Can't remember the name or author at the moment.

Clean and trim artichokes. Place in a microwave safe container that they will fit in one layer bottoms down. Place water and lemon juice in container (then dip the cut surfaces in the juice water to prevent discoloration and replace bottom down). Place foil ONLY over the TOP of chokes (so long as there is MORE exposed than is covered by foil it will be safe. I have been doing this for 25 years so it IS TNT) leave bottom and sides UNCOVERED. Steam in microwave at 1/2 power 5 minutes at a time till an inner leaf pulls out when gently tugged.

Last edited:
i love just plain artichokes but I had one in Feb. that I can't forget. Every time I see a big one I want to jump on it and make one stuffed to the gills with finely chopped shrimp,scallops,parsley,shallots,garlic bread crumbs and butter drizzeled all over the thing, It was delicious and gigantic,lots of work but well worth it.

WOAH!!!!!! That sounds amazing. Gotta try that.

I had an idea once to cut an artichoke open after steaming it 2/3 of the way, take out the center choke, put a raw lobster tail inside and put it back together and steam the rest of it. I never did it though because I am not so sure it'd really do anything better than just steaming the two separate... unless perhaps the lobster juices would mix with the heart... this is an outtake idea. Expensive experiment. But the shrimp/scallop stuffed Artichoke is a must try.

WOAH!!!!!! That sounds amazing. Gotta try that.

I had an idea once to cut an artichoke open after steaming it 2/3 of the way, take out the center choke, put a raw lobster tail inside and put it back together and steam the rest of it. I never did it though because I am not so sure it'd really do anything better than just steaming the two separate... unless perhaps the lobster juices would mix with the heart... this is an outtake idea. Expensive experiment. But the shrimp/scallop stuffed Artichoke is a must try.
It is really great I had it once and plan to give it another go soon I do think some parmesan mixed in not much just a little would kick it up a bit, Glad you like the idea,Just make sure to remove the choke, I do that with the small end of a melon baller.

First, let me say I think cooking them in a microwave is a dis-service to the artichoke. Yes it may be faster but the quality is much lower. Most of us have 40 minutes to steam a few artichokes. (Actually, I can't think of anything that isn't better cooked on a gas stove top or oven than in the microwave.)

Second, the size of the artichoke more or less determines what you will do with it. The larger ones are best for eating leaf by leaf or stuffing and the smaller ones can be steamed quickly and added to other ingredients for an artichoke flavored meal.

I am glad you said that because I was starting to feel foolish for my 40 minute steaming when it could just be microwaved but... there's always a sacrifice. An artichoke deserves the time. Plus all you have to do is put it in the steamer and leave it. The great thing is that it is good even with absolutely nothing - just steamed. So anything you add to it starts with a great foundation.

I am glad you said that because I was starting to feel foolish for my 40 minute steaming when it could just be microwaved but... there's always a sacrifice. An artichoke deserves the time. Plus all you have to do is put it in the steamer and leave it. The great thing is that it is good even with absolutely nothing - just steamed. So anything you add to it starts with a great foundation.

I finally dumped my microwave when I had the gas cooktop installed because there is NOTHING that tastes as good or better when cooked in a microwave. Cooking should be a pleasure and an art, not a race to "nuke" the vitamins and flavor out of our food.:chef:

I finally dumped my microwave when I had the gas cooktop installed because there is NOTHING that tastes as good or better when cooked in a microwave. Cooking should be a pleasure and an art, not a race to "nuke" the vitamins and flavor out of our food.:chef:

I don't like to wait to boil water in a large pot to cook artichokes. It's the proper way, but I use the microwave. I can't say the artichoke heart tasted any less delicious.

I saw off the bottom of the artichoke about 1/4" above where the stem was. I peel off the lower leaves as they won't have any meat on them.

Removing the fine hairs at the heart is what I find somewhat a chore. It's still steaming hot there. But...it's SO meaty good when you finally cut up artichoke hearts and dip them in melted butter and salt.

Steamed & served with hollandaise sauce!!! My very favorite treat as a kid!!! I loved scraping the leaves with my teeth & then devouring the heart drizzled in sauce. YUM!

Whenever I head back to the States, I always buy fresh artichokes. One of the things I miss living in Mexico!!

I don't like to wait to boil water in a large pot to cook artichokes. It's the proper way, but I use the microwave. I can't say the artichoke heart tasted any less delicious.

I saw off the bottom of the artichoke about 1/4" above where the stem was. I peel off the lower leaves as they won't have any meat on them.

Removing the fine hairs at the heart is what I find somewhat a chore. It's still steaming hot there. But...it's SO meaty good when you finally cut up artichoke hearts and dip them in melted butter and salt.
Removing the thistle can be a pain, but you might try using the small end of a melon ball scoop to dig out the fuzz saves you somewhat from the heat on the inside.
kadesma

i really have to disagree with you about microwaves. vegatables keep more vitamins because of using less water and not being overcooked. i use mine for many things. melting butter or chocolate. certainly reheating meals, there again, less time, less dried up leftovers. i cook lobster in mine as well as the artichoke. don't feel i lose any of the flavor of the food i cook in it. i have proofed bread in mine. mine also has a convection oven part, handy for browning things if you need to do so. i feel i save a lot of time that i can then spend on making things, that require a lot of time, to mix . etc. guess we will have to agree to disagree. :chef:

Microwave lobster? (good band name btw). I hope not live! ;) That would be brutal. jk I know you don't mean live. But what do you mean exactly? Like a raw tail? Still, I could never do that. Too pricey to risk... same with artichokes but less so. I might maybe still try microwaving an artichoke just to see. But a lobster? Neva!!!!!!
:chef:

Cooking it has been covered, eating it should be with your partner of choice the artichoke like the fig if eaten properly is a very erotic vegetable.:)

"I don't like to wait to boil water in a large pot to cook artichokes. It's the proper way, but I use the microwave."

I cook three or four large artichokes in about 1" of water in a 5 qt pan with lid. This gives one warm to eat or split with a friend (Bolas is right about that) as the beginning of a slow meal with wine or champagne. The others can be covered and refrigerated for the next day. Very good eaten cold or at room temp. When you arrive at the fuzzy choke after eating the leaves, it is very easy to use a spoon and remove the fuzz.

lobster tail in micro. put in plastic bag, about a tablespoon water. don't close bag all the way. 4 min tops on high. comes out really really moist, cooked and delicious.

Thanks. I don't know if I can do it! A lobster tail is so precious. I do like to broil them in a toaster oven though. One thing I picked up from a sushi place in LA is a Lobster Dynamite. You chop up the lobster tail, mix it with some mayo and garlic powder, slice up some mushrooms and put that all back in the tail, squirt a little lemon juice on it and broil it until you see it start to get browned on the top. MMMMMMMMMMmmmmM! That you can't do in a microwave I tell ya! ;) (but I am not against microwaves, they have their place).

Smokey Artichokes with Chili-Honey Butter

You don't have to use water to cook artichokes! Using broth with wine and spices will give it a really interesting flavor. Top it with a little cheese, and serve it with a unique butter mixture, like chipotle and honey or mixed herb butter.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, I ended up steaming them on top of the stove with salt and pepper. I did cut them in half first. I served them with melted butter in the cavity where the choke was and sprinkled with fresh grated parmesan cheese. The kids liked them, I liked them, my husband was kind of "eh". These were pretty small, so not much in each leaf, but the heart was good, and it was fun to eat new foods with the family. Thanks again everyone!

Glad to hear it was a success for you, sunny. You are right, come to think of it, artichokes are very kid-friendly. I usually prepare small artichokes entirely differently. I trim and discard the leaves, and saute or braise just the hearts.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom