Best way to make beef stew??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I use chuck roast for stew meat....Lots of onions and potatoes...Not many carrots unless they are cooked seperately and drained. Sometimes a sweet potato can be good. What about you grandpa?

I use chuck roast for stew meat....Lots of onions and potatoes...Not many carrots unless they are cooked seperately and drained. Sometimes a sweet potato can be good. What about you grandpa?
My wife and i use Filet, carrots,garlic,onion and potatoes added with beef broth...i like your idea of a sweet pototo:chef:

:LOL::LOL:
it just seems everytime my wife and i used any other kind of meat for the stew the meat was tough:(

Try cutting up some chuck roast into nice bite size pieces...browning them for flavor...and simmering (not boiling) Given time it will melt in your mouth. Get the meat tender before adding your veggies so ya want over cook them into mush!

Try cutting up some chuck roast into nice bite size pieces...browning them for flavor...and simmering (not boiling) Given time it will melt in your mouth. Get the meat tender before adding your veggies so ya want over cook them into mush!
thanks uncle bob...i will give that a try

:LOL::LOL:
it just seems everytime my wife and i used any other kind of meat for the stew the meat was tough:(

And you've used chuck roast meat? Can you cook a chuck roast and have the meat fork tender?
What's your cooking method for making stew?

BTW, I do the same as UB except lighter on the onions and heavier on the carrots :)

And you've used chuck roast meat? Can you cook a chuck roast and have the meat fork tender?
What's your cooking method for making stew?

BTW, I do the same as UB except lighter on the onions and heavier on the carrots :)
well before we retired we just used the old crock pot and still do but no matter what kind of meat we used it was tough but now i will talk to the wife and try these metods out
thanks everyone...oh iam in cooking training:chef:so be kind:)

Grampa, ya just have to simmer chuck long enough to be tender- good flavor beef. I always simmer my chuck roast or cut into stew meat until fork tender - be patient. Roast 2 1/2 hrs. or till fork tender. Yum

Last edited:
Grampa, ya just have to simmer chuck long enough to be tender- goof flavor beef. I always simmer my chuck roast or cut into stew meat until fork tender - be patient. Roast 2 1/2 hrs. or till fork tender. Yum
thank you barb..my wife and i will give this a try on monday
thanks everyone

I wait until top sirloin comes on sale and buy up a bunch and freeze. I then cut against the grain into small pieces, place in baggie with salt and pepper and Wondraflour shake and mix then immediately brown in my wok with onions and garlic and oil. I then add all to some homemade or boxed stock, add some herbs, plus a bay leaf, and simmer until the beef is nearly tender which isn't long as sirloin isn't super tough. Then I add veggies---baby carrots, red potatos, scraped fresh corn if I have it and correct the seasonings. I also find that adding some onion powder and garlic powder help as well. At the very end (4-5 minutes) I like to add some baby frozen peas. Serve with a hot skillet pan of cornbread and you are on your way to Nirvana...

I use a sirloin beef roast and cut the roast into small chunks, I cook it in a crock-pot and
use alot of vegetables, and plenty of garlic and onions. potatoes and carrots, celery.
thats all. some times I might add some beef gravy.

Chuck roast, potatoes, cabbage, carrots onion, celery...

Thicken the liquid a bit before serving with some cornstarch.

I also like dumplings cooked on top of my beef stew... really tasty.

you folks are great...i can see am going to have alot of beef stew dinners to look forward to

Then you have to decide:

beef stew and wide egg noodles........or..........beef stew and rice.........or.........beef stew and mashed potatoes........or.......beef stew and dumplings............BUT........are the dumplings the drop dumplings or the slippery dumplings...........:cool: :LOL:

Momma Connie’s Beef Stew

3-4 lb. chuck roast, cut into chunks
S&P
Olive oil
2 cans of beef broth or water
2 bay leaves
½ tsp thyme
1 large onion, sliced into thin rings
3-4 cloves garlic, minced (I like more)
8 ozs fresh mushrooms, sliced
5-6 potatoes, peeled and cut into bite-sized pieces
small bag of baby carrots
hearts of celery, including leaves, chopped, 1 cup
1 can of Italian (roma) green beans, drained
1-2 small cans tomato sauce
4 tbls flour

Put enough oil in a heavy pot to coat the bottom, and turn heat on high. Salt & pepper meat chunks, and sear until meat is almost burnt on the outside. (Should be smoking…this is what makes the good gravy.)
Add broth or water and deglaze pan. Reduce heat, add bay leaves and thyme, cover and let simmer until meat is beginning to get tender.
In the meantime, sauté onions and mushrooms in skillet until caramelized. Add chopped garlic at the last minute. Add to meat along with the celery, potatoes, carrots and green beans. Stir in tomato sauce. Let simmer until vegetables are tender. Make a slurry of flour and water, stir into stew, and let simmer until thickened. Adjust seasoning.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom