Bialys

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Adapted from George Greenstein’s “Secrets of a Jewish Baker”

For 9 bialys:

Mix one tablespoon yeast with one cup warm water and two teaspoons of sugar.
Incorporate three cups of bread flour and 1 ½ teaspoons of salt.
When dough comes away from sides of bowl, turn out onto a floured surface and knead for about 10 minutes; adding small amounts of flour as necessary.
Form into a ball and place into a covered oiled bowl and allow to rise for 30 to 45 minutes.
Meanwhile in a small bowl combine 2 tablespoons minced fresh or minced onion flakes (which have been soaked in water for at least 2 hours and then drained) with ¾ teaspoon of vegetable oil and a pinch of salt.
Press down on the dough to squeeze out ‘air’ and allow to rise again for 20 to 30 minutes or until doubled.
Punch down the dough, roll out into a rope about nine inches long.
Divide the rope into 9 one inch pieces.
Roll the 1 inch pieces into 9 balls and allow to rest for 10 minutes.
Roll each ball into a 3 ½” disk.
Place disks on a baking sheet heavily dusted with rye flour or cornmeal
Dust tops of disks with rye flour, cover with plastic wrap and allow to rise until puffy.
Press puffy disk from the center outwards to within one inch from the outer rim of each disk.
Sprinkle the onion oil mix into the depressions in the disks.
Cover again and allow to puff up.
Bake in a preheated 450F preheated oven for 15 to 20 minutes or until the tops just barely begin to brown.
Those that cannot be eaten the same day they are made should be frozen.

I was thinking this was a typo. I do have a recipe for Bailey's! Google is a wonderful thing.

PrincessFiona60 said:
Sorry, Dawgluver...we're gonna hafta enroll you in Polish Ashkenazi Baking classes. I'll sit next to you, so you can copy my baking.:angel:

Hey, I have had pierogies, might even know how to spell it (?)

My first clue should have been that I was looking at the baking section, not beverages....

Hey, I have had pierogies, might even know how to spell it (?)

My first clue should have been that I was looking at the baking section, not beverages....

Heh, I could only spell Ashkenazi after I Googled it. :LOL:

And you'll have to talk to BuckyTom and CraigC about the liquid bread thing.:)

PrincessFiona60 said:
Heh, I could only spell Ashkenazi after I Googled it. :LOL:

And you'll have to talk to BuckyTom and CraigC about the liquid bread thing.:)

Not sure I could pronounce it , much less spell it.

Of course, I still post my fish recipes in Culinary Gardener...

Too funny!

Last edited:
That is nit the only difference spark. Bialys are flatter. The top has a hole, but the bottom does not. Where the hold should be if it were a bagel there are chopped onions. I love putting a pat of butter on the onions and toasting them. Sooooo good.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom