Bizzare Foods with Andrew Zimmern

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Andy M.

Certified Pretend Chef
I really enjoy this show. You get to see a lot of different locations, mostly in foreign countries, that you would otherwise miss. The host eats all kinds of foods. Some look really delicious and many are really strange. Some will turn your stomach.

Last night I watched an episode in Philadelphia. He was visiting (Iron Chef) Morimoto's restaurant in Philly. Morimoto served fugu (blowfish) to Zimmern. Specifically, the salt cured egg sack of the fugu.

As you may know, fugu is extremely poisonous and certified/highly trained preparers must prepare the fish to make it safe to eat.

Apparently, the egg sack is one of the more poisonous parts and must be cured in salt for about two years to make it safe to eat.

I was wondering...

Just how long did it take and how many people died before they figured out that two years in salt was what did the trick.

Another thing that makes you go, "Hmmmm".

I really enjoy this show. You get to see a lot of different locations, mostly in foreign countries, that you would otherwise miss. The host eats all kinds of foods. Some look really delicious and many are really strange. Some will turn your stomach.

Last night I watched an episode in Philadelphia. He was visiting (Iron Chef) Morimoto's restaurant in Philly. Morimoto served fugu (blowfish) to Zimmern. Specifically, the salt cured egg sack of the fugu.

As you may know, fugu is extremely poisonous and certified/highly trained preparers must prepare the fish to make it safe to eat.

Apparently, the egg sack is one of the more poisonous parts and must be cured in salt for about two years to make it safe to eat.

I was wondering...

Just how long did it take and how many people died before they figured out that two years in salt was what did the trick.

Another thing that makes you go, "Hmmmm".

I'm gonna guess that people figured out that stuff during famines. :ohmy:

Interesting idea! What do you have to lose??

This I understand.

What I want to know is how the ancient Egyptians figured out that alligator dung, applied locally, was a contraceptive and how the ancient Chinese figured out that pregnant mare urine, ingested, was a contraceptive.

I really enjoy his show. I like how he is honest about whether he likes something or thinks it is repulsive. I find him to be a bit rude at times though. I was just watching obe episode. I forget where he was. It might have been Egypt or maybe India or someplace else. It was a big party with 30 or so courses. Everyone sat on the floor. At the end of the meal he stuck his feet out into the middle of everyone instead of keeping them discreetly tucked close to his body. I am sure everyone around him enjoyed having his feet right there. That is just one example and not a very good one because he was doing it to make a joke, but it is the only example I can recall right now even though I have seen many others.

Ohoho! I love it when he tries to eat a durian!

Durian actually varies between people. Both the taste and the smell. To some, it smells like yesterday's garbage, to others, it smells like perfume. As for the taste, it's indescribable. To Andrew Zimmern, it tastes like bad BAD onions and to me, it's pretty sweet. I'm not sure if it's an easterner-westerner thing, but I know it's something that you can't go to only 1 person for an opinion.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom