Black Bun

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ishbel

Executive Chef
'BLACK BUN'
Black bun is traditionally eaten in Scotland at Hogmanay and often at Burns' Suppers. It is a richly fruited loaf cake, made with good Scots whisky and encased in rich pastry.

Make a pastry of
8 oz plain flour
4oz butter
pinch salt

Filling
8 oz plain flour
1teaspoon cinammon (ground)
1 teaspoon ginger (ground)
1 teaspoon allspice
1 teaspoon cream of tartar
1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
1 lb stoned raisins
1 lb currants
2 oz chopped mixed peel
4 oz almonds ('nibbed' we say, broken into pieces, but not in thin flakes)
4 oz brown sugar
1 egg beaten with 4 tablespoons of milk
quarter pint of whisky
beaten egg yolk to glaze

Sift flour, spices, cream of tartar and bicarb mix in a large bowl. Mix in the raisins, currants, nuts, peel and sugar. Add egg/milk mixture and whisky. Stir everything together to get the mixture amalgamated.

Use either an 8 inch cake tin or a large loaf tin and grease really well. Use two thirds of the pastry to line the base and sides of the cake tin.

Fill with the mixture, packing it down well, and use the remaining third of pastry to make a lid. Make sure you moisten the edges of the pastry and the lid and that you ensure that the filling cannot escape. Using a long bladed knife, make 4-6 holes in the bun through the lid, all the way to the bottom of the mix.

Glaze with egg yolk. Bake at Gas Mark 4, 180C 350F for 2.5 to 3 hours. If the top looks as though it is getting too well done, just use kitchen foil to cover. Store in an airtight tin.

burns' dinners?
would that be dinner with charles montgomery burns? what about waylon smithers?

buckytom said:
burns' dinners?
would that be dinner with charles montgomery burns? what about waylon smithers?

Actually, that would be the one in January at my house that you WON'T BE ATTENDING NOW!!! You are such a stinker, Bucky! Pay him no mind, Ishbel! (But do smile when he pops in from time to time...a real witty one there -- I warn you now!)

This is so close to my recipe for Black Bun...the only difference being the addition of figs (or, as my GM said, "at a pinch, use dates"), raisins and a bit of cardamon. Black Bun is soooooo good!

If I'd ever heard of the two people mentioned, I'd invite them.... who are they? And the correct term is suppers, not dinners... 8)

ok, i'm still curious. what exactly is a burns' supper?

(btw, the fellas i mentioned are popular characters on an american animated tv show)

Burns' Suppers

Whoops - pardon my iggerance, I don't watch cartoons!

Burns' Suppers
Robert Burns aka as Rabbie (never Robbie!) is Scotland's best known bard. He is commemorated every year on the anniversary of his birthday, 25 January (or the nearest weekend to that date in most cases) by Scots the world over..

Traditionally, the menu is - a starter, followed by haggis, bashed neeps and chappit tatties (mashed potatoes and rutabaga) helped down with copious amounts of good whisky. Puddings are often things like Cranachan, trifle or clootie dumpling - black bun and shortbread are served with the coffee!

The Address to the Haggis is made - the haggis is piped in to the table. It is an honour to be chosen to give the Address to the Haggis - oh and the poems of Burns are remembered and recited by guests.

Often at larger suppers, there is Scottish country dancing, too..

And when Ishbel says the Haggis is "piped" to the table, in case there is any doubt, that means it is carried on the finest silver platter and a Scottish Bagpiper leads the way amidst riotous cheering and applause!

I've hosted a Burns Supper for years, Ishbel, and beginning at Christmastime, all the young ones begin preparing their "Wee Witty Ditties" to recite to the crowd. It's also amazing how many who once shuddered at Haggis will dig into it today! (Some will even admit affection, too!)

The evening is always a huge blast!

You have heard a famous Robbie Burns poem, or at least part of...."my love is like a red red rose newly sprung in June....."

The Ode to the Haggis is there so you can get practicing!!

www.robertburns.org

Back
Top Bottom