Blender and Food Processor

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

will

Cook
From what I see, both of these could be used in almost all the recipes I see.

What are the limitations of each where you would almost have to use the other? I just want a more defined gray area between these two pieces of equipment.

A blender will puree most things much better than a FP, but with a FP you can do things like slicing and shredding. Try doing THAT with a blender.

So a blender will pretty much attempt to liquify everything and a FP will give you more control over what the end result is?

Yep, Will. In my opinion, both appliances are very aptly named. Nothing beats a blender at blending, and nothing tops a food processor in versitility given its attachments.

Gotcha...

Thanks for all the info!

Ok, now that I have the differences... what do I look for in a good food processor? As far as features or flexibility? Any good brands to recommend?

will, I have both Cusinart and Hamilton Beach FPs. Prefer the Cusinart because the other one is harder to clean. I also have a "mini-cuise" for chopping up things like olives, onion wedges, etc. The mini only chops, so it's not a true multi-tasker like the big boys.

haha, yeah... I saw AB last night had a blender attachment on a Dewalt Drill... I found that pretty funny (maybe a little extreme... but funny).

Sorry, I know that has nothing to do with the thread... just saw "multi tasker" and it reminded me of it. Had to say something..

I'm with Mudbug. Have a 20-year-old Cuisinart that works as well today as when I got it. Love that thing above any other I've ever seen or used.

Personally, Will, I'm a little disappointed in AB. I prefer a Makita.

I love my Cuisinart, but I have never used any other FP. I hear that Kitchenaid makes a comparable product. Some of the things you want to look for are work bowl size, feed tube size, power, how easy it is to clean, range of attachments, and probably a good many other things as well.

So basically, the more features the better :) Pretty much how it does with anything I guess. I will definately look into Cuisinart.. seems to be a favorite :)

Audeo: I know about as much of power tools as I do cooking... But I know that the Dewalt I used in building my aquarium stand was a dream :)

And I have to make a correction.. I had blender on the mind. it wasnt a blender attachment, it was an attachment for a mixing bowl ( My brain is fried from being at work).

Any other input is greatly appreciated. Thanks alot!

I think the key to knowing when to use a blender is to think "liquid" - and plenty of it. Great for blending liquids, making purees, emulsions like mayo or pesto, and not too shabby for malts and milk shakes.

Of course, a food processor will do these things, too, plus so much more. Well, don't know about making malts ... never tried that. And, I think the blender does a much better job at making small batches of pesto and mayo than my food processor ... but I don't have a mini bowl for mine.

The truth is that when my blender went to appliance heaven a few years ago I bought an immersion (stick/boat motor) blender and it does everything I need - except making malts (never tried it for that) which my waist line doesn't need. :cry: I have a very small kitchen with limited storage space and virtually no counter space - so the immersion blender is just right for me. If I had more space I probably would have a counter-top blender in addition to my food processor.

I whole-heartedly agree. I used to have a regular blender, but never really did much with it. Then, I bought an immersion blender. I used that thing to death, until the housing split after 5 years. I miss it. I need to get another one.

Food processor vs Blender

Hi to all...just joined, looks like I might have found my replacement for the food network boards. Just joined there and they are closing...Hope I'm not the jinx. I will preface my answer for Will especially...I am a Canadian retailer and I am in no way solicting your business. From my years in both the restaurant business and now the hardware business, in my opinion you want a Cuisinart food processor over Kitchenaid, or any other company. The first reason is that it is a "direct drive" to move the blades unlike most that are belt driven. I still see the odd machine brought into my store for the odd repair...the most being 20+ years old!
They just go and go. The other thing I found is the actual blade is closer to the "bowl" so when you are chopping it gets more of what you are chopping incorporated into your batch. Hope this helps and if I can answer any other questions on a brand you are researching just email me and I will try to help. Thanks Pst :D

Thank you for the comments, pst1can. And may I say, "Right On!" Having a 20-year-old Cuisinart running as well as it did on Day One, it's nice to hear that others exist out there in the real world.

Welcome to the board!

Excellant...

Thanks alot for the responses everyone! This is better than school :) I think I will definately stick with a Crusinart... it seems to be the consensus.

Thanks again.. the more info the better :D

I just got the kitchen Aid Food processor and not to long ago the blender. Before I had a cusinart blender and a old Braun food processor.
IF you read this before midnight go to comfort house.com They are having a sale on the kitchen aid food processors till the end of september
The kitchen aid to me is definitely a better blender or at least better at making milkshakes. It seems to have more power than the cusinart it dosent crawl around on the counter the way the cusinart did, and seems to do a more thourough job of blending
The kitchen aid that I got is the kp670 . It comes with 3 bowls and 3 disc and 2 cutter blades and a dough blade. I am happy with it.

A blender does things only a blender can do and it does it well.

There's nothing a food processor does that I can't do manually, but slower.

I'd get a blender before I'd buy a food processor.

Having said that, I must admit that haven't used either in several months.

I use my food processor with some things.. but I swear by my "boat motor." I'm on my own and don't make HUGE meals.. I love it.. you can puree things right in the pan! The one I have has been around for years. My grandma gave it to me, and she had it for a few years previous. It is a Braun, and it is still going strong.

sorry... I have to show my ignorance... :)

What is a 'boat motor'?

Back
Top Bottom